* [NTG-context] \unit{mercury} renders as m (meter) and \unit{millimetermercury} doesn't work as expected
@ 2023-12-05 14:19 Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-12-05 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm struggling with the rendering of a particular liquid metal:

  %% renders as m (meter), not as Hg
  \unit{mercury}

  %% renders as mm·m, not as mmHg
  \unit{millimetermercury}

This is strange, since both “mercury” and “millimetermercury” are
defined in phys-dim.lua. To get mercury recognised as a unit this
can be used:

  \registerunitshortcut [mercury=mercury]

Now \unit{mercury} renders correctly as Hg.

Why is that \registerunitshortcut necessary? Is it even correct to
use it like this? However, even then millimetermercury doesn't
render correctly:

  %% renders as mm·Hg, not as mmHg
  \unit{millimetermercury}

How to get millimetermercury render as mmHg? And “inch mercury”
render as inHg? I can't find “inchmercury” in phys-dim.lua, only
“millimetermercury”, should it be added?

Example:

%% \enabletrackers [physics.units]

%% inch should render as “in”
%% \setupunittext [inch=in]

\starttext
  \unit{mercury}\crlf  %% renders: mm · m

  \unit{12 millimetermercury}\crlf  %% renders: mm · m
  \unit{12 inchmercury}\crlf        %% renders: in · m

  %% why is this necessary to get mercury rendered as Hg?
  \registerunitshortcut [mercury=mercury]

  \unit{12 millimetermercury}\crlf  %% renders: mm · Hg
  \unit{12 inch mercury}\crlf       %% renders: in · Hg
\stoptext

Questions:

1) Why is \unit{mercury} not working, although it's listed in
   phys-dim.lua?
2) Is the call \registerunitshortcut [mercury=mercury]
   necessary/correct?
3) How to make \unit{millimetermercury} render as mmHg and
   \unit{inch mercury} render as inHg?

Marco

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: \unit{mercury} renders as m (meter) and \unit{millimetermercury} doesn't work as expected
@ 2023-12-05 16:27 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-12-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Patzer schrieb am 05.12.2023 um 15:19:
> Hi!
>
> I'm struggling with the rendering of a particular liquid metal:
>
>    %% renders as m (meter), not as Hg
>    \unit{mercury}
>
>    %% renders as mm·m, not as mmHg
>    \unit{millimetermercury}
>
> This is strange, since both “mercury” and “millimetermercury” are
> defined in phys-dim.lua. To get mercury recognised as a unit this
> can be used:
>
>    \registerunitshortcut [mercury=mercury]
>
> Now \unit{mercury} renders correctly as Hg.
>
> Why is that \registerunitshortcut necessary? Is it even correct to
> use it like this? However, even then millimetermercury doesn't
> render correctly:
>
>    %% renders as mm·Hg, not as mmHg
>    \unit{millimetermercury}
>
> How to get millimetermercury render as mmHg? And “inch mercury”
> render as inHg? I can't find “inchmercury” in phys-dim.lua, only
> “millimetermercury”, should it be added?
>
> Example:
>
> %% \enabletrackers [physics.units]
>
> %% inch should render as “in”
> %% \setupunittext [inch=in]
>
> \starttext
>    \unit{mercury}\crlf  %% renders: mm · m
>
>    \unit{12 millimetermercury}\crlf  %% renders: mm · m
>    \unit{12 inchmercury}\crlf        %% renders: in · m
>
>    %% why is this necessary to get mercury rendered as Hg?
>    \registerunitshortcut [mercury=mercury]
>
>    \unit{12 millimetermercury}\crlf  %% renders: mm · Hg
>    \unit{12 inch mercury}\crlf       %% renders: in · Hg
> \stoptext
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Why is \unit{mercury} not working, although it's listed in
>     phys-dim.lua?
> 2) Is the call \registerunitshortcut [mercury=mercury]
>     necessary/correct?
> 3) How to make \unit{millimetermercury} render as mmHg and
>     \unit{inch mercury} render as inHg?

None of your examples work because millimetermercury and mercury are the
names for the labels
and the units are accessed with hg and mmhg.

\setupunittext[en][millimetermercury=inHg]

\starttext

\unit{mmhg}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

@ 2023-12-05 18:58   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-12-05 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:27:59 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> None of your examples work because millimetermercury and mercury are
> the names for the labels
> and the units are accessed with hg and mmhg.

Ok, that makes sense. And it works, thanks for the explanation and
the quick reply.

> \setupunittext[en][millimetermercury=inHg]

That doesn't make sense, inch and mm are different units. I'd rather
add:

  \registerunit
    [inHg=inchmercury]

  \setupunittext
    [en]
    [inchmercury=inHg]

@ 2023-12-05 19:06     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-12-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Patzer schrieb am 05.12.2023 um 19:58:
> \setupunittext[en][millimetermercury=inHg]
> That doesn't make sense, inch and mm are different units. I'd rather
> add:
>
>    \registerunit
>      [inHg=inchmercury]
>
>    \setupunittext
>      [en]
>      [inchmercury=inHg]

It's just a stupid example to show how to set the label value.

Wolfgang

@ 2023-12-05 19:21       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-12-05 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 20:06:46 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> > That doesn't make sense, inch and mm are different units. I'd rather
> > add:
> >
> >    \registerunit
> >      [inHg=inchmercury]
> >
> >    \setupunittext
> >      [en]
> >      [inchmercury=inHg]
>
> It's just a stupid example to show how to set the label value.

Ok, got it. Thanks for your quick help, as usual!