* [NTG-context] Fwd: Re: x mark symbol and general symbol guide
@ 2023-10-16 13:36 Gerion Entrup
From: Gerion Entrup @ 2023-10-16 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1238 bytes --]

Hans already answered my question. Thank you!

Gerion

Subject: Re: [NTG-context] x mark symbol and general symbol guide
Date: Freitag, 13. Oktober 2023, 18:13:42 CEST
From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@...>
To: Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@...>

On 10/13/2023 2:33 PM, Gerion Entrup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to typeset a table with checkmarks and x marks.
> \checkmark exists but is there a predefined x mark symbol (\xmark does
> not work)?
>
> In general: For LaTeX there exists the very helpful comprehensive LaTeX symbol list [1].
> Is there a similar documentation for ConTeXt somewhere?
\usesymbols[fontawesome]

\startTEXpage[offset=1ts]
     \symbol[fontawesome-solid][times]\quad
     \symbol[fontawesome-solid][check]
\stopTEXpage

you can run symb-imp-fontawesome and get a list

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: symbols.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Fwd: Re: x mark symbol and general symbol guide
@ 2024-01-09 15:21 ` Gerion Entrup
From: Gerion Entrup @ 2024-01-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3154 bytes --]

Hi,

I have to come back to that topic, since it seems not to work.
The said source code produces just the text "times" and "check" for me
(see 1.pdf). I also tried:

```
\usesymbols[fontawesome]

\starttext
	\showsymbolset[fontawesome-solid]
\stoptext
```
and get a list of symbols that do not belong to fontawesome (see 2.pdf).

I also tried to find the symbol file directly in the context
distribution and found:
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/symb-imp-fontawesome.mkiv

However, most parts are commented out there, one of the few remaining
symbols is wheelchair. However, when using that, I just got the string
_378 (3.pdf). Source code:

```
\usesymbols[fontawesome]

\startTEXpage[offset=1pt]
	\symbol[fontawesome][wheelchair]
\stopTEXpage
```

Is there a problem with my installation?
Additional output:
```
% mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern='fontawesome'
identifier                 familyname           fontname                    filename                                                             subfont   instances

fontawesome                fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
fontawesome6brands         fontawesome6brands   fontawesome6brandsregular   /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Brands-Regular-400.otf
fontawesome6brandsnormal   fontawesome6brands   fontawesome6brandsregular   /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Brands-Regular-400.otf
fontawesome6freenormal     fontawesome6free     fontawesome6freesolid       /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Free-Solid-900.otf
fontawesomenormal          fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
fontawesomeregular         fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
```

Best,
Gerion

Am Montag, 16. Oktober 2023, 15:36:34 CET schrieb Gerion Entrup:
> Hans already answered my question. Thank you!
>
> Gerion
>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] x mark symbol and general symbol guide
> Date: Freitag, 13. Oktober 2023, 18:13:42 CEST
> From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@...>
> To: Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@...>
>
> On 10/13/2023 2:33 PM, Gerion Entrup wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently tried to typeset a table with checkmarks and x marks.
> > \checkmark exists but is there a predefined x mark symbol (\xmark does
> > not work)?
> >
> > In general: For LaTeX there exists the very helpful comprehensive LaTeX symbol list [1].
> > Is there a similar documentation for ConTeXt somewhere?
> \usesymbols[fontawesome]
>
> \startTEXpage[offset=1ts]
>      \symbol[fontawesome-solid][times]\quad
>      \symbol[fontawesome-solid][check]
> \stopTEXpage
>
> you can run symb-imp-fontawesome and get a list
>
> Hans

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: 1.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: 2.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.4: 3.pdf --]

@ 2024-01-09 17:31   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-01-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerion Entrup schrieb am 09.01.2024 um 16:21:
> Hi,
>
> I have to come back to that topic, since it seems not to work.
> The said source code produces just the text "times" and "check" for me
> (see 1.pdf). I also tried:
>
> ```
> \usesymbols[fontawesome]
>
> \starttext
> 	\showsymbolset[fontawesome-solid]
> \stoptext
> ```
> and get a list of symbols that do not belong to fontawesome (see 2.pdf).
>
> I also tried to find the symbol file directly in the context
> distribution and found:
> tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/symb-imp-fontawesome.mkiv
>
> However, most parts are commented out there, one of the few remaining
> symbols is wheelchair. However, when using that, I just got the string
> _378 (3.pdf). Source code:
>
> ```
> \usesymbols[fontawesome]
>
> \startTEXpage[offset=1pt]
> 	\symbol[fontawesome][wheelchair]
> \stopTEXpage
> ```
>
> Is there a problem with my installation?
> Additional output:
> ```
> % mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern='fontawesome'
> identifier                 familyname           fontname                    filename                                                             subfont   instances
>
> fontawesome                fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
> fontawesome6brands         fontawesome6brands   fontawesome6brandsregular   /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Brands-Regular-400.otf
> fontawesome6brandsnormal   fontawesome6brands   fontawesome6brandsregular   /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Brands-Regular-400.otf
> fontawesome6freenormal     fontawesome6free     fontawesome6freesolid       /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Free-Solid-900.otf
> fontawesomenormal          fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
> fontawesomeregular         fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
> ```

The symbols expect version 5 of fontawesome but you have version 6.

I guess it's time to switch to the new version of the fonts which can be
done by replacing 5 (file:fontawsome5...) with 6 (file:fontawsome6...)
in the following lines in symb-imp-fontawesome.mkiv

\definefontsynonym [FontAwesomeBrands]
[file:fontawesome5brandsregular400.otf]
\definefontsynonym [FontAwesomeRegular]
[file:fontawesome5freeregular400.otf]
\definefontsynonym [FontAwesomeSolid] [file:fontawesome5freesolid900.otf]

Wolfgang

@ 2024-01-09 19:31     ` Gerion Entrup
From: Gerion Entrup @ 2024-01-09 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 9. Januar 2024, 18:31:10 CET schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> Gerion Entrup schrieb am 09.01.2024 um 16:21:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to come back to that topic, since it seems not to work.
> > The said source code produces just the text "times" and "check" for me
> > (see 1.pdf). I also tried:
> >
> > ```
> > \usesymbols[fontawesome]
> >
> > \starttext
> > 	\showsymbolset[fontawesome-solid]
> > \stoptext
> > ```
> > and get a list of symbols that do not belong to fontawesome (see 2.pdf).
> >
> > I also tried to find the symbol file directly in the context
> > distribution and found:
> > tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/symb-imp-fontawesome.mkiv
> >
> > However, most parts are commented out there, one of the few remaining
> > symbols is wheelchair. However, when using that, I just got the string
> > _378 (3.pdf). Source code:
> >
> > ```
> > \usesymbols[fontawesome]
> >
> > \startTEXpage[offset=1pt]
> > 	\symbol[fontawesome][wheelchair]
> > \stopTEXpage
> > ```
> >
> > Is there a problem with my installation?
> > Additional output:
> > ```
> > % mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern='fontawesome'
> > identifier                 familyname           fontname                    filename                                                             subfont   instances
> >
> > fontawesome                fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
> > fontawesome6brands         fontawesome6brands   fontawesome6brandsregular   /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Brands-Regular-400.otf
> > fontawesome6brandsnormal   fontawesome6brands   fontawesome6brandsregular   /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Brands-Regular-400.otf
> > fontawesome6freenormal     fontawesome6free     fontawesome6freesolid       /usr/share/fonts/fontawesome/Font Awesome 6 Free-Solid-900.otf
> > fontawesomenormal          fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
> > fontawesomeregular         fontawesome          fontawesome                 FontAwesome.otf
> > ```
>
> The symbols expect version 5 of fontawesome but you have version 6.
>
> I guess it's time to switch to the new version of the fonts which can be
> done by replacing 5 (file:fontawsome5...) with 6 (file:fontawsome6...)
> in the following lines in symb-imp-fontawesome.mkiv
>
> \definefontsynonym [FontAwesomeBrands]
> [file:fontawesome5brandsregular400.otf]
> \definefontsynonym [FontAwesomeRegular]
> [file:fontawesome5freeregular400.otf]
> \definefontsynonym [FontAwesomeSolid] [file:fontawesome5freesolid900.otf]
>
> Wolfgang

My system awesome font is version 6 but isn't the one bundled with
ConTeXt version 5 (FontAwesome.otf)? This one:
tex/texmf/fonts/data/fonticons/fontawesome/FontAwesome.otf: OpenType font data

I would assume that ConTeXt is using the bundled file by default.

Gerion

@ 2024-01-09 20:17       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-01-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/9/2024 8:31 PM, Gerion Entrup wrote:

> My system awesome font is version 6 but isn't the one bundled with
> ConTeXt version 5 (FontAwesome.otf)? This one:
> tex/texmf/fonts/data/fonticons/fontawesome/FontAwesome.otf: OpenType font data
>
> I would assume that ConTeXt is using the bundled file by default.
It's not our hobby to keep up with font versions and changing names so
we depend on users to signal that. Also, with fonts you never know what
updated fonts will break.

In a next upload we'll define a list of names [5-9] so that we're more
future proof.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-01-11 14:56         ` Gerion Entrup
From: Gerion Entrup @ 2024-01-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Dienstag, 9. Januar 2024, 21:17:57 CET schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 1/9/2024 8:31 PM, Gerion Entrup wrote:
>
> > My system awesome font is version 6 but isn't the one bundled with
> > ConTeXt version 5 (FontAwesome.otf)? This one:
> > tex/texmf/fonts/data/fonticons/fontawesome/FontAwesome.otf: OpenType font data
> >
> > I would assume that ConTeXt is using the bundled file by default.
> It's not our hobby to keep up with font versions and changing names so
> we depend on users to signal that. Also, with fonts you never know what
> updated fonts will break.
>
> In a next upload we'll define a list of names [5-9] so that we're more
> future proof.

Thanks.

Sure, it was my interest to understand, if the error lays in my
installation or is due to the predefined files. Especially, since I did
not manage to display a single symbol of FontAwesome at all, not even
the one that seems to be explicitly defined.

For me, it is not relevant at all, in which version the font is.
My main interest is to get an \xmark symbol.

Gerion

@ 2024-01-18 12:25           ` Gerion Entrup
From: Gerion Entrup @ 2024-01-18 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context