* building from source
@ 2023-03-21 11:14 Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context
From: Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context @ 2023-03-21 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rainer J.H. Brandt

Dear Context developers,

I want to build Context MkXL from source and use that.  I went to the
download page http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm and downloaded
the 2023-03-20 version:
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/latest/cont-tmf.zip

This contains README.adoc which tells me that information can be found
on https://wiki.contextgarden.net.

I don't find any further information about building from source, either
in the dowloaded material, or on the wiki or the pragma-ade.com site.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks, Rainer
--
Rainer J.H. Brandt
Email: rjhb@bb-c.de

* Re: building from source
@ 2023-03-21 12:11 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-21 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 3/21/2023 12:14 PM, Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear Context developers,
>
> I want to build Context MkXL from source and use that.  I went to the
> download page http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm and downloaded
> the 2023-03-20 version:
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/latest/cont-tmf.zip
>
> This contains README.adoc which tells me that information can be found
> on https://wiki.contextgarden.net.
>
> I don't find any further information about building from source, either
> in the dowloaded material, or on the wiki or the pragma-ade.com site.
>
> What am I overlooking?
First define 'build from source'. The lmtx (mkxl) installation can be
installed using an installer. If there is not one for the platform one
uses, then one can download the cont-lmt zip and build the binary in
/source/luametatex usign the build.sh script in there.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: building from source
@ 2023-03-21 12:51   ` Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context
From: Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context @ 2023-03-21 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen via ntg-context writes:
> On 3/21/2023 12:14 PM, Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context wrote:
> > Dear Context developers,
> >
> > I want to build Context MkXL from source and use that.  I went to the
[...]
> First define 'build from source'. The lmtx (mkxl) installation can be

Building from source is the production of executables from source code
files, using the appropriate tools for the chosen type of source code,
e.g. compilers, linkers, and other build tools like GNU autotools,
make, cmake, or other build mechanisms.  With regard to complete
software packages, the process usually also takes care of moving other
support files to where they are expected at run-time.  (Coming from
LaTeX, I would expect e.g. formats, fonts, style files etc.)

> installed using an installer. If there is not one for the platform one
> uses, then one can download the cont-lmt zip and build the binary in
> /source/luametatex usign the build.sh script in there.

Thanks.  That's the first step of what I was looking for.
Using "bash build.sh", the build succeeded.

The output gives hints about what to put where.  I'll see if I can turn
it into something that resembles what you offer via the installer packages.

Thanks, Rainer