* [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-25 20:48 Miguel Diaz via ntg-context
From: Miguel Diaz via ntg-context @ 2023-06-25 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Miguel Diaz

Hi everyone,
and sorry if this is not the right place to post.

Context-on-web is no more accesible. Though as a complete newbie to latex
and context world I was just making a very basic format definition, i was
glad i got a basic working layout. Now i cannot access the online
application and I have no copy of the very simple sample file on which i
would like to continue with my practice.

So, will context-on-web be back? or is there a way to access my files?
I can begin again, but it took me over 3 weeks to get the most basic layout!
thanks in advance

Miguel D.

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26  6:49 ` Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
From: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Miguel,

> On 25 Jun 2023, at 22:48, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> and sorry if this is not the right place to post.
>
> Context-on-web is no more accesible.

What is this context-on-web? I tried searching, but context+web produces rather useless results.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26  7:08   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 26.06.23 um 08:49 schrieb Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context:
> Dear Miguel,
>
>> On 25 Jun 2023, at 22:48, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>> and sorry if this is not the right place to post.
>>
>> Context-on-web is no more accesible.
>
> What is this context-on-web? I tried searching, but context+web produces rather useless results.

https://context-on-web.eu
online IDE by Zdeněk Svoboda of Brno university

Hraban

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26 17:43     ` Miguel Diaz via ntg-context
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Miguel Diaz via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex). But trying to
learn the basics it is great that you can try context without an
installation and configuration.
unfortunately the web is no more accesible and when I heard that the
maillist hat problems as result of upgrade i thought the web would be in
the same server.
But it seems the web is not of Pragma but of a university. Sorry for my
ignorance!
and thanks anyway

@ 2023-06-26 17:53       ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Diaz via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context wrote:

> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex).

FWIW, context works on overleaf as well!

Simply create a `latexmkrc` file with the following content:

```
$pdflatex="context --synctex=1 --result=output %S; cp output.log /compile/output.log;cp output.pdf /compile/output.pdf";
$recorder=0;
$pdf_mode=1;
```

Aditya

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26 18:03       ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.06.23 um 19:43 schrieb Miguel Diaz:
> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex). But trying to
> learn the basics it is great that you can try context without an
> installation and configuration.
> unfortunately the web is no more accesible and when I heard that the
> maillist hat problems as result of upgrade i thought the web would be in
> the same server.
> But it seems the web is not of Pragma but of a university. Sorry for my
> ignorance!
> and thanks anyway

Well, it’s not by the university, but the master(?) thesis of one
student. He never published the source code, and apparently he stopped
hosting it at all.

Unfortunately silent disappearance is a common fate of the really
interesting ConTeXt and MetaPost projects from Brno.

Hraban

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26 18:10       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Diaz via ntg-context, Tomas Hala; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/26/2023 7:43 PM, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context wrote:
> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex). But trying to
> learn the basics it is great that you can try context without an
> installation and configuration.
> unfortunately the web is no more accesible and when I heard that the
> maillist hat problems as result of upgrade i thought the web would be in
> the same server.
> But it seems the web is not of Pragma but of a university. Sorry for my
> ignorance!

We have to wait what Tomas will say. I think the idea was to put the
code on github so that one can install locally or anywhere. (It should
be trivial to set up a vm).

It runs the latest lmtx and I tested it a bit and performance was pretty
good (such a service makes no sense if it doesn't run close to local
speed). My collegue tested it with huge collections of xml files that
also worked ok.

Let's hope for the best,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26 18:12         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/26/2023 8:03 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 26.06.23 um 19:43 schrieb Miguel Diaz:
>> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex). But trying
>> to learn the basics it is great that you can try context without an
>> installation and configuration.
>> unfortunately the web is no more accesible and when I heard that the
>> maillist hat problems as result of upgrade i thought the web would be
>> in the same server.
>> But it seems the web is not of Pragma but of a university. Sorry for
>> my ignorance!
>> and thanks anyway
>
> Well, it’s not by the university, but the master(?) thesis of one
> student. He never published the source code, and apparently he stopped
> hosting it at all.

i suppose that it runs on a university machine

> Unfortunately silent disappearance is a common fate of the really
> interesting ConTeXt and MetaPost projects from Brno.
probably true for many projects by students who eventually move on; but
if we can pick up on it ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-26 18:38         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-06-26 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/26/2023 7:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex).
>
> FWIW, context works on overleaf as well!
>
> Simply create a `latexmkrc` file with the following content:
>
> ```
> $pdflatex="context --synctex=1 --result=output %S; cp output.log /compile/output.log;cp output.pdf /compile/output.pdf";
> $recorder=0;
> $pdf_mode=1;
I found back this link:

https://davidcarlisle.github.io/latexcgi/testc

% !TEX mtxrun --script context

\starttext

\dorecurse{500}{\samplefile{tufte}\par}

\stoptext

Runs 113 pages in 1.13 sec so quite ok for a remote un I guess.

I'm not sure how up to date it is.

(The default is some old tex document using pdftex.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] context-on-web broken
@ 2023-06-27  5:54           ` Miguel Diaz via ntg-context
From: Miguel Diaz via ntg-context @ 2023-06-27  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks a lot for the overleaf hack Aditya, i once tried to configure
something similar but it did not work!
and thanks for the latexcgi link, it has much more speed in processing,
though that is not important for me (i am learning the basics in my spare
time, so a couple of seconds more or less is ok).

On a quick search i found a lot of Zdeněk Svoboda, but i will try to find
the one of the project and ask him to offer it to the community, I found
context-on-web simple and effective, it even hat a table-generator for easy
things.

El lun, 26 jun 2023 a las 20:39, Hans Hagen via ntg-context (<
ntg-context@ntg.nl>) escribió:

> On 6/26/2023 7:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context wrote:
> >
> >> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex).
> >
> > FWIW, context works on overleaf as well!
> >
> > Simply create a `latexmkrc` file with the following content:
> >
> > ```
> > $pdflatex="context --synctex=1 --result=output %S; cp output.log
> /compile/output.log;cp output.pdf /compile/output.pdf";
> > $recorder=0;
> > $pdf_mode=1;
> I found back this link:
>
> https://davidcarlisle.github.io/latexcgi/testc
>

> % !TEX mtxrun --script context
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{500}{\samplefile{tufte}\par}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Runs 113 pages in 1.13 sec so quite ok for a remote un I guess.
>
> I'm not sure how up to date it is.
>
> (The default is some old tex document using pdftex.)
>
> Hans

* Re: context-on-web broken
@ 2023-07-04 21:23         ` Fabrice L
From: Fabrice L @ 2023-07-04 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Aditya,

> Le 26 juin 2023 à 13:53, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> a écrit :
>
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex).
>
> FWIW, context works on overleaf as well!
>
> Simply create a `latexmkrc` file with the following content:
>
> ```
> $pdflatex="context --synctex=1 --result=output %S; cp output.log /compile/output.log;cp output.pdf /compile/output.pdf";
> $recorder=0;
> $pdf_mode=1;
> ```

This is a very precious information, thanks a lot  ! Most often, I’m isolated working with ConTeXt, most collaborators using LaTeX. Of course, some have seen the amazing things we can do with ConTeXt, and are using it a bit, but installation remains a challenge for most of them. Being able to work and share an overleaf project is a way to work in a collaborative way in ConTeXt (and Metafun of course !).

> Aditya

Tanks agin for the tip !
Fabrice.

* Re: context-on-web broken
@ 2023-07-07 21:16           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2023-07-07 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> On 6/26/2023 7:53 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Miguel Diaz via ntg-context wrote:
> >
> >> indeed it is a simple simulation of overleaf (for latex).
> >
> > FWIW, context works on overleaf as well!
> >
> > Simply create a `latexmkrc` file with the following content:
> >
> > ```
> > $pdflatex="context --synctex=1 --result=output %S; cp output.log
> > /compile/output.log;cp output.pdf /compile/output.pdf";
> > $recorder=0;
> > $pdf_mode=1;
> I found back this link:
>
> https://davidcarlisle.github.io/latexcgi/testc
>

> % !TEX mtxrun --script context
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{500}{\samplefile{tufte}\par}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Runs 113 pages in 1.13 sec so quite ok for a remote un I guess.
>
> I'm not sure how up to date it is.

2023.05.05 18:36, so very recent.

https://texlive.net/run?%25!TEX%20mtxrun%20--script%20context%0A%0A%5Cstarttext%0A%5Ccontextversion%0A%5Cstoptext%0A

Aditya

* Re: context-on-web broken
@ 2023-07-08  6:38             ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2023-07-08  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 11:19 PM Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> > > FWIW, context works on overleaf as well!
> > >
> > > Simply create a `latexmkrc` file with the following content:
> > >
> > > ```
> > > $pdflatex="context --synctex=1 --result=output %S; cp output.log
> > > /compile/output.log;cp output.pdf /compile/output.pdf";
> > > $recorder=0;
> > > $pdf_mode=1;
> > I found back this link:
> >
> > https://davidcarlisle.github.io/latexcgi/testc
> >

> > % !TEX mtxrun --script context
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > \dorecurse{500}{\samplefile{tufte}\par}
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Runs 113 pages in 1.13 sec so quite ok for a remote un I guess.
> >
> > I'm not sure how up to date it is.
>
> 2023.05.05 18:36, so very recent.
>
> https://texlive.net/run?%25!TEX%20mtxrun%20--script%20context%0A%0A%5Cstarttext%0A%5Ccontextversion%0A%5Cstoptext%0A
>
> Aditya

David kindly made available

https://texlive.net/run?context

to start with a minimal context file. This is very convenient for
small tests if one happens to be at a computer that does not have
context installed (why that would be).

/Mikael

* Re: context-on-web broken
@ 2023-07-08 10:42               ` Max Chernoff
From: Max Chernoff @ 2023-07-08 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Sundqvist, ntg-context

On Sat, 2023-07-08 at 08:38 +0200, Mikael Sundqvist wrote:
> David kindly made available
>
> https://texlive.net/run?context
>
> to start with a minimal context file.

There's also

   https://live.contextgarden.net/

which is pretty much the exact same thing. Not very up to date though:

   system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2021.10.28 10:19 LMTX  fmt: 2021.10.28  int: english/english

-- Max