* Problem using \scale
@ 2023-02-09 21:42 Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-02-09 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm printing address labels. Sometimes an address has a long line that is too long to fit on the label with the result that it wraps. Instead of wrapping, I thought it would be nice to try and auto-scale the label and shrink it so that the long line just fits.

I'm using \crlf to break the address into lines and this doesn't play well with the \scale command, see MWE below, where the second frame is just one long line as the \crlf's seem to be ignored.

Is there a simple solution that allows \crlf and also scale?

\starttext
\startbuffer[address]
Name \crlf
Address 1 \crlf
A long line that wraps \crlf
Town \crlf
Postcode
\stopbuffer
\framed[width=3cm,align=flushleft]{\getbuffer[address]}
\framed[width=3cm,align=flushleft]{\scale[factor=fit]{\getbuffer[address]}}
\stoptext

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: Problem using \scale
@ 2023-02-10  7:04 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-02-10  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 09.02.23 um 22:42 schrieb Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context:
> I'm printing address labels. Sometimes an address has a long line that is too long to fit on the label with the result that it wraps. Instead of wrapping, I thought it would be nice to try and auto-scale the label and shrink it so that the long line just fits.
>
> I'm using \crlf to break the address into lines and this doesn't play well with the \scale command, see MWE below, where the second frame is just one long line as the \crlf's seem to be ignored.
>
> Is there a simple solution that allows \crlf and also scale?
>
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[address]
> Name \crlf
> Address 1 \crlf
> A long line that wraps \crlf
> Town \crlf
> Postcode
> \stopbuffer
> \framed[width=3cm,align=flushleft]{\getbuffer[address]}
> \framed[width=3cm,align=flushleft]{\scale[factor=fit]{\getbuffer[address]}}
> \stoptext

Did you try \framedtext instead of \framed? (I didn’t test.)

Hraban

* Re: Problem using \scale
@ 2023-02-10  9:20 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-02-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 2/9/2023 10:42 PM, Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context wrote:
> I'm printing address labels. Sometimes an address has a long line that is too long to fit on the label with the result that it wraps. Instead of wrapping, I thought it would be nice to try and auto-scale the label and shrink it so that the long line just fits.
>
> I'm using \crlf to break the address into lines and this doesn't play well with the \scale command, see MWE below, where the second frame is just one long line as the \crlf's seem to be ignored.
>
> Is there a simple solution that allows \crlf and also scale?
>
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[address]
> Name \crlf
> Address 1 \crlf
> A long line that wraps \crlf
> Town \crlf
> Postcode
> \stopbuffer
> \framed[width=3cm,align=flushleft]{\getbuffer[address]}
> \framed[width=3cm,align=flushleft]{\scale[factor=fit]{\getbuffer[address]}}
> \stoptext
\starttext

\startbuffer[address]
Name
Address 1
A long line that wraps
Town
Postcode
\stopbuffer

\framed
   [align=flushleft,strut=no]
   {\startlines[before=,after=]
    \getbuffer[address]
    \stoplines}

\scale
   [width=3cm]
   {\framed
      [align=flushleft,strut=no]
      {\startlines[before=,after=]
       \getbuffer[address]
       \stoplines}}

\stoptext

You can of course adapt the font size instead but as it's just stickers
the above is probably good enough, but you can do this:

\begingroup
\doloop {
     \setbox\scratchbox\hbox\bgroup\framed
       [align={flushleft},strut=no]
       {\startlines[before=,after=]
        \getbuffer[address]
        \stoplines}
     \egroup
     \ifdim\wd\scratchbox>3cm
       \advance\glyphscale by -50
     \else
       \box\scratchbox
       \exitloop
     \fi
}
\endgroup

to get more consistent stepwise scaling or even this:

\begingroup
\doloop {
     \setbox\scratchbox\hbox\bgroup\framed
       [align={flushleft},strut=no]
       {\startlines[before=,after=]
        \getbuffer[address]
        \stoplines}
     \egroup
     \ifdim\wd\scratchbox>3cm
       \advance\glyphxscale by -50
     \else
       \framed
         [align={flushleft},strut=no,width=3cm]
         {\startlines[before=,after=]
          \getbuffer[address]
          \stoplines}
       \exitloop
     \fi
}
\endgroup

which is what i might choose eventually (i'll add it to the test suite)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problem using \scale
@ 2023-02-10 19:05   ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-02-10 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 10 Feb 2023, at 09:20, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

[snip]

Thank-you Hans, these work great - so well in fact that now I've seen the output I've come to the conclusion that the scaled text would be too small and what I should really do is flag the one or two addresses in our mailing list that have long lines and print them on larger labels in a separate run. :-)

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK