* precedence of texmf trees
@ 2021-10-19 18:24 Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-10-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi wizards,

if I have files with the same name in several texmf trees (e.g. texmf-context, texmf-local, texmf-project, ~/texmf or TeX Live’s texmf-dist, texmf-var), which one will be used?

I guess “local” trees or “local” directories take precedence over “distribution”, but which is “the localest” of ~/texmf/..., texmf-dist/.../local, texmf-local/... ?

Where is the order defined? (Not in TDS.)

Hraban

* Re: precedence of texmf trees
@ 2021-10-20  8:10 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-10-20  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/19/2021 8:24 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi wizards,
>
> if I have files with the same name in several texmf trees (e.g. texmf-context, texmf-local, texmf-project, ~/texmf or TeX Live’s texmf-dist, texmf-var), which one will be used?
>
> I guess “local” trees or “local” directories take precedence over “distribution”, but which is “the localest” of ~/texmf/..., texmf-dist/.../local, texmf-local/... ?

 > context --generate

show all this

> Where is the order defined? (Not in TDS.)
mtxrun --show-variables

mtxrun -var-value TEXMF

etc ... it's all TDS

Hans

* Re: precedence of texmf trees
@ 2021-10-20 14:21   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-10-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 20.10.2021 um 10:10 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 10/19/2021 8:24 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi wizards,
>> if I have files with the same name in several texmf trees (e.g. texmf-context, texmf-local, texmf-project, ~/texmf or TeX Live’s texmf-dist, texmf-var), which one will be used?
>> I guess “local” trees or “local” directories take precedence over “distribution”, but which is “the localest” of ~/texmf/..., texmf-dist/.../local, texmf-local/... ?
>
> > context --generate
>
> show all this
>
>> Where is the order defined? (Not in TDS.)
> mtxrun --show-variables

Oh, yes, of course. Thank you!

I meant, the order of trees is not defined in the TDS proposal (http://tug.org/tds/tds.html).

@ 2021-10-20 14:38     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-10-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/20/2021 4:21 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

>> Am 20.10.2021 um 10:10 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>>
>> On 10/19/2021 8:24 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>>> Hi wizards,
>>> if I have files with the same name in several texmf trees (e.g. texmf-context, texmf-local, texmf-project, ~/texmf or TeX Live’s texmf-dist, texmf-var), which one will be used?
>>> I guess “local” trees or “local” directories take precedence over “distribution”, but which is “the localest” of ~/texmf/..., texmf-dist/.../local, texmf-local/... ?
>>
>>> context --generate
>>
>> show all this
>>
>>> Where is the order defined? (Not in TDS.)
>> mtxrun --show-variables
>
> Oh, yes, of course. Thank you!
>
>> etc ... it's all TDS
>
> I meant, the order of trees is not defined in the TDS proposal (http://tug.org/tds/tds.html).
it's kind of defined by texlive but there it changed over time, (main,
dist, local, var, home etc and also unix distributers add / patch these
variables; some definitions and order can be hard coded in the binary
part that deals with kpse file lookup)

anyway, in contest it hasn't changed much and we dont' use the kpse
library in mkiv/lmtx so we're not affected by changes; you can of course
add more of use a different order (in a local configuration file in e.g.
texmf-local)

(there are plenty of trackers for checking how files are looked up)

Hans

* Re: precedence of texmf trees
@ 2021-10-20 18:31       ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-10-20 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 20.10.2021 um 16:38 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

>>> mtxrun --show-variables
>> Oh, yes, of course. Thank you!
>>> etc ... it's all TDS
>> I meant, the order of trees is not defined in the TDS proposal (http://tug.org/tds/tds.html).
> it's kind of defined by texlive but there it changed over time, (main, dist, local, var, home etc and also unix distributers add / patch these variables; some definitions and order can be hard coded in the binary part that deals with kpse file lookup)

I thought so...

> anyway, in context it hasn't changed much and we don’t use the kpse library in mkiv/lmtx so we're not affected by changes; you can of course add more of use a different order (in a local configuration file in e.g. texmf-local)
>
> (there are plenty of trackers for checking how files are looked up)

I just wanted to give an overview in my book what is where in all those trees, and then I recognized I didn’t know the search order.
(Yes, I’m in ConTeXt book writing mode again.)

Hraban