* update
@ 1999-03-25 16:43 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-03-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm uploading the latest version of context cum suis to our site.

  www.pragma-ade.nl

There you can find (under context support and downloading)

source files    : cont-tex.zip -> texmf/../tex/context/base
module files    : cont-mod.zip -> texmf/../tex/context/base
metapost files  : cont-mps.zip -> texmf/../metapost/context

and

font files      : cont-fnt.zip -> ../tfm/context and ../type1/context

Please make sure to keep logic in the paths, otherwise scattering the
files can bring conflicts in loading.

There has been some changes to texexec. Please take a look at the file
texexec.rme to see how things are set up. The changes concern a better
fit into teTeX (thanks to Thomas Esser).

>From now on, context will use the patterns present on the system. This
means that lang-pat/hyp files are no longer part of the distrubution
They still are and will be supported but are simply mapped onto existing
files; the public ones with the inconsistent names -)

Also, plain tex and etex sources are no longer in the distribution (too
minimize overlap and inconsistency), but the licence and readme files
are (pdf files).

I suggest you zip your old files somewhere save first. Please let me
know if there are problems.

Tetex users can best use the tetex update, because Thomas integrates the
latest versions of context in there.

Context will be mirrored on CTAN too. When things work ok this way, the
NTG server and Eriks server will be mirrors too.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* update
@ 2023-03-20 16:28 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated LMTX. Most improvements are in 'math' as Mikael and I keep
mailing down some details that bother us. We also have some updates in
the math fonts that Daniel Flipo maintains so the repertoire of
alternatives with all-right math support grows.

As a side note: lmtx installs nicely on my android (12) phone (userland
ubuntu) and luametatex compiles nicely from source (as it's aarch64) in
about a minute. No decent editor to text real documents but who knows
what a properly dockable (linux supporting) phone can do in a few years.
A simple

\starttext \dorecurse{1000}{\samplefile{tufte}\par} \stoptext

runs at over 55 pps (85 pps on my laptop). Making a format takes 4
seconds (second time, after caching, which is about twice the time my
laptop takes).

Hans

* update
@ 2023-02-23 21:07 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-02-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new version. We further improved Antykwa support,

\switchtobodyfont[antykwa]

\startTEXpage[offset=1dk]
     \im{
         f' = f'' = f''' = f'''' =
         a + b + \ldots + c +
         \overbar{x} + \overbar{S} + \bar{x} + \widebar{x}
     }

     \im{
         \fenced[doublebar]{x} =
         \fenced[doublebar][size=1]{x_1} =
         \fenced[doublebar][size=2]{x_2} =
         \fenced[doublebar][size=3]{x_3} =
         \fenced[doublebar][size=4]{x_4} =
         \fenced[doublebar]{\blackrule[width=1cm,height=1cm]}
     }

     \im{
         \fenced[bar]{x} =
         \fenced[bar][size=1]{x_1} =
         \fenced[bar][size=2]{x_2} =
         \fenced[bar][size=3]{x_3} =
         \fenced[bar][size=4]{x_4} =
         \fenced[bar]{\blackrule[width=1cm,height=1cm]}
     }

     \im{
         \fenced[brace]{x} =
         \fenced[brace][size=1]{x_1} =
         \fenced[brace][size=2]{x_2} =
         \fenced[brace][size=3]{x_3} =
         \fenced[brace][size=4]{x_4} =
         \fenced[brace]{\blackrule[width=1cm,height=1cm]}
     }

     \im{
         \root[4]{1+x^2+a} +
         \frac{1}{1+x^2+a} +
         \overparent{1+x^2+a} +
         \overbrace{1+x^2+a} +
         \overparent{x} +
         \overbrace{x} +
         \overbrace{i}
     }

\stopTEXpage

This time with fancy radical bars, fraction bars, vertical bars, over
and underbars etc.

Hans

* update
@ 2022-08-05  9:52 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-08-05  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new lmtx that fixes a few math issues reported.

Hans

* update
@ 2021-09-13  8:07 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-09-13  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new lmtx (had forgotten to to it friday) . There are not
that many visible changes but on is that i'm playing with some
'improvements' to inserts. Hopefully there are no side effects but the
idea is to have somewhat better (more robust and predictable) support
for e.g. footnotes in situations that are not natural to tex (like
columns). The first mechanism to benefit from that is page columns but
all that is a stepwise process. I keep track of that in yet another
lowlevel manual. These column things are on the agenda for next month
and beyond.

(In a next upload the new marking and tabulate optimization might become
default but for now i test that locally.)

Hans

* update
@ 2020-06-25  9:34 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-06-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new version (both mkiv and lmtx). We removed some low level
no longer used code (older engines), normalized some in the process,
fixed a few things, etc.

=== lmtx only ===

While updating the cld manual I decided to also add an other table
mechanism (in addition to the one already reported in an earlier mail).
I have no clue how useful it is, but as usual with tex, users find ways
to (ab)use it. This one behaves a bit more like registers. A hashed one
is defined as:

\newhashedtable\somehashtable

\somehashtable{ foo = 123, bar = "foo" }
[123 = \the\somehashtable{foo}] [123 = \the\somehashtable foo ]
[foo = \the\somehashtable{bar}] [foo = \the\somehashtable bar ]

\bgroup
\somehashtable{ foo = 456, bar = "oof" }
[456 = \the\somehashtable{foo}]
[oof = \the\somehashtable{bar}]
\egroup

[123 = \the\somehashtable{foo}]
[foo = \the\somehashtable{bar}]

\bgroup
\global\somehashtable{ foo = 456 }
        \somehashtable{ bar = "oof" }
[456 = \the\somehashtable{foo}]
[oof = \the\somehashtable{bar}]
\egroup

[456 = \the\somehashtable{foo}]
[foo = \the\somehashtable{bar}]

or an indexed one:

\newindexedtable\someindextable

\someindextable{ 123, "foo" }
[123 = \the\someindextable 1] [123 = \the\someindextable \numexpr 2 -
1\relax]
[foo = \the\someindextable 2] [foo = \the\someindextable \numexpr 1 +
1\relax]

\bgroup
\someindextable{ 456, "oof" }
[456 = \the\someindextable 1]
[oof = \the\someindextable 2]
\egroup

[123 = \the\someindextable 1]
[foo = \the\someindextable 2]

\bgroup
\global\someindextable{ [1] = 456 }
        \someindextable{ [2] = "oof" }
[456 = \the\someindextable 1]
[oof = \the\someindextable 2]
\egroup

[456 = \the\someindextable 1]
[foo = \the\someindextable 2]

In both cases, local and global assignments are supported.

At the Lua end you can access these tables too:

context.hashedtables.somehashtable.bar
context.indexedtables.someindextable[2]

There is some overhead involved but performance and memory usage is
quiite okay.

Hans

* update
@ 2020-06-19  9:42 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-06-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded an update. I cleaned up (upgraded code-wise) some of the
script related code. Most users won't notice but who knows if I
introduced some issues with cjk ... just let me know if I overlooked
something.

Hans

* update
@ 2008-01-28 20:36 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-28 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

i uploaded a fix for the reported problems; the uploaded version also
uses lua for locating files that have to be included; this should work
with the mkiv xml too (i forgot who asked for that but i needed it
myself too)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* update
@ 2006-04-23 22:07 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-23 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i'll upload a version that

- supports some more TABLE width situations (earlier patch)
- fixes the background problem (please test)
- hopefully fixes the n=0 footnote problems
- fixes a seldom occuring secction head problem (years old)

for practical purposes this is a current and not a beta (i need to
generate minimals for a project tomorrow)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* update
@ 2005-11-30 16:56 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-30 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm uploading an update. Apart from a few fixes/new-things, the main
change in the minimals is that the <platform>tex.zip files now only
contain binaries, and justtex.zip the rest.

So, in case you use a windows/linux minimal: you need to download two
files now. In the case of macosx, gerbens auto-updater takes care of it,

I replaced the iwona/kurier/etc map/enc files with the ones that are now
shipped. In the meantime i found out that there is also a change in the
ams font tfm structure, so if you copy over old trees, make that you
remove old instances of those fonts.

I hope that i didn't mess up things too much.

The normal cont-*.zip files are updates too, and the map files now refer
to the new iwona cum suis scheme

uploading now, may take a while

Hans

* update
@ 2005-06-02 20:49 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Well, after some bad hacking Adam, Patrick and me think that we got engine
support working on all platforms. Interesting is that the problems for platforms
-tetex and gwtex- were in different parts of the code, so there must be subtle
differences in path settings (different kpse branches in texexec). The solutions
had to do with chomping on the one hand and complex paths on th eother hand.

Patrick, I hope that i didn't mess up the garden server in the process -)

Uploaded.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* update
@ 2004-06-18 16:33 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I synced the website. Apart from a few new magazines there is a
preliminary manual 'xmldir' and there are manuals for xmltools and
textools.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* update
@ 2004-06-17  0:09 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-17  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new version (and will sync the whole site friday).

- watch the new magazines (number 6 in show-mag.pdf) : dangerous
features (but still fun)
- hz support (will be completed when the new pdf comes out)
- a few new tools: textools & xmltools
- of course some fixes

(i'm working on a manual for xmldir support as provided by
xmltools/x-dir-*)

beware: this tree is already in the new tds

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* update
@ 2001-07-11 15:05 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-11 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I updated the big zipper. The previously reported bugs/vagueties in math
and hanging are fixed.

There is now also a zip with font map files. These can be loaded on demand
by context when you set

  \autoloadmapfilestrue

in your local cont-sys.tex. This feature will be improved over time as will
be typescripts.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* update
@ 2000-05-11 10:49 Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <000901bfbb8c$bc388720$9b4461c3@chris>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-11 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi url lovers,

I uploaded a new version that (i hope) has the underlined url fixed. Plese
test.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* update
@ 1999-07-20 16:34 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-07-20 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've updated context. This update is only of interest to those who want
to use the new ec encoding and want to play with the new pdftecx beta
(version 14). New is:

  \externalfigure[name][screen=lowresname]

Later, when matthew and I have sorted out the best way to interface
this, shaded will be supported too. The framework is already in place.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* update
@ 1999-06-20 16:26 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-20 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I upload an update of context. Apart main changes are some new pretty
printing features and some fixes in coloring cells in tables. Some new
features/bug fixes are still in cont-new.tex butwhen no errors are
reported/encountered these will move into the sources too.

Also, texexec now does a more rigourous search for the ini file in non
tetex/fptex environments (I hope things work out well in miktex too,
also watch the new miktex section in the ini file (see texexec.rme)). As
before, use the --verbose switch to trace down problems. Normally the
changes in texexec go un-noticed. In TeXUtil, there is a fix in sorting
registers.

In a few days I will include the flow chart module (still working on
some extensions).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* update
@ 1999-01-29 12:40 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-01-29 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I uploaded the latest context to

  http://frambach.eco.rug.nl/pragma/zipped/cont-tex.zip
  http://frambach.eco.rug.nl/pragma/zipped/cont-mod.zip

You need this update when you use pdftex 13a and later (previous
versions of pdftex are still supported). Some you have intermediate
updates. Their extended functionality is incorporated here. Tobias,
beware of the bookmarks, I still have to fix the tricky umlaut part.

There are some extensions to the font mechanism and in the process of
rewriting the big manual I also optimize things here and there. Please
report any errors.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl