* Help test a LMTX bug fix: tweaks in PDF generation
@ 2022-10-09 15:33 Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

last week we had a long thread about non-printing PDF on this list and
together with Hans I tracked down the issue and we found a fix.
Since it changes some details of how PDFs are generated by LMTX, we'd
like to test this change first on a wide range of software and
printers.

So please: Try to preview and then try to print the attached PDF;
and report back if either preview or printout does not look like
the attached reference PNG image (i.e. something is missing,
the fonts look different, or have wrong relative size.)

If you use other PDF tools in your workflow, please also check they
continue to work as before (and just as well as with MKIV-generated PDFs).

[-- Attachment #2: fontmatrixtest.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: fontmatrixtest.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 21225 bytes --]

Thank you very much,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org/

* Re: Help test a LMTX bug fix: tweaks in PDF generation
@ 2022-10-09 17:20 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-09 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 09.10.22 um 17:33 schrieb Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context:
> Hi,
>
> last week we had a long thread about non-printing PDF on this list and
> together with Hans I tracked down the issue and we found a fix.
> Since it changes some details of how PDFs are generated by LMTX, we'd
> like to test this change first on a wide range of software and
> printers.
>
> So please: Try to preview and then try to print the attached PDF;
> and report back if either preview or printout does not look like
> the attached reference PNG image (i.e. something is missing,
> the fonts look different, or have wrong relative size.)
>
> If you use other PDF tools in your workflow, please also check they
> continue to work as before (and just as well as with MKIV-generated PDFs).

Hi Leah, thank you!

I viewed and printed the PDF with pdf.js in Thunderbird, Apple Preview
and Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 to my Kyocera FS-C5100DN color laserprinter via
KPDL (PS-compatible) driver.
I don’t see any font problems, but neither text nor the bar are 100%
black – is this intentional? Doesn’t look like RGB black, there are no
other colors involved except in the printout from pdf.js.

pdf.js seems to print as image and blurs the outlines. (I never tried to
print from pdf.js before, is this normal?)

Hraban

* Re: Help test a LMTX bug fix: tweaks in PDF generation
@ 2022-10-09 18:54   ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-09 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> Am 09.10.22 um 17:33 schrieb Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context:
>> Hi,
>> last week we had a long thread about non-printing PDF on this list
>> and
>> together with Hans I tracked down the issue and we found a fix.
>> Since it changes some details of how PDFs are generated by LMTX, we'd
>> like to test this change first on a wide range of software and
>> printers.
>> So please: Try to preview and then try to print the attached PDF;
>> and report back if either preview or printout does not look like
>> the attached reference PNG image (i.e. something is missing,
>> the fonts look different, or have wrong relative size.)
>> If you use other PDF tools in your workflow, please also check they
>> continue to work as before (and just as well as with MKIV-generated PDFs).
>
> Hi Leah, thank you!
>
> I viewed and printed the PDF with pdf.js in Thunderbird, Apple Preview
> and Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 to my Kyocera FS-C5100DN color laserprinter
> via KPDL (PS-compatible) driver.
> I don’t see any font problems, but neither text nor the bar are 100%
> black – is this intentional? Doesn’t look like RGB black, there are no
> other colors involved except in the printout from pdf.js.

Should be all black (CMYK black), but we didn't change this.
Picking from the screenshot I get #000000 on Linux with evince, mupdf,
pdf.js.

> pdf.js seems to print as image and blurs the outlines. (I never tried
> to print from pdf.js before, is this normal?)

Yes, unfortunately.  But not related to our changes.

--

@ 2022-10-10  8:50 ` Keith McKay via ntg-context
From: Keith McKay via ntg-context @ 2022-10-10  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Keith McKay

Hi,

I printed the file from my Apple mac mini M1 wirelessly to my HP Color
LaserJet MFP M283fdw from Thunderbird, Adobe Acrobat DC, Skim and
Texshop. The latter three were essentially identical and clear but that
from Thunderbird was fuzzy and not as sharp as the others.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

@ 2022-10-10  9:24   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith McKay via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 10.10.22 um 10:50 schrieb Keith McKay via ntg-context:
> Hi,
>
> I printed the file from my Apple mac mini M1 wirelessly to my HP Color
> LaserJet MFP M283fdw from Thunderbird, Adobe Acrobat DC, Skim and
> Texshop. The latter three were essentially identical and clear but that
> from Thunderbird was fuzzy and not as sharp as the others.

The latter is because Thunderbird uses pdf.js, and that prints PDFs as
images (rasterized in a low resolution), as Leah confirmed my guess.

Hraban

* Re: Help test a LMTX bug fix: tweaks in PDF generation
@ 2022-10-10 12:43     ` Willi Egger via ntg-context
From: Willi Egger via ntg-context @ 2022-10-10 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I printed the file with a HP Officejet 7740 through Wifi from a MacBook Air (old form 2013). - The PDF-reader is Skim.  ConTeXt Version 2022.09.11 20:44 — There is a perfect print.

Willi

@ 2022-10-10 13:24       ` Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2022-10-10 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rik Kabel

Win 11 64 Intel, Sumatra PDF 3.4.6 to Brother MFC-L2740DW looks good.

Win 11 64 Intel, Sumatra PDF 3.4.6 to HP LJPro M254dw looks good.

Printing via Firefox, as others have noted, is fuzzy, but nothing is
missing.

--
Rik

* Re: Help test a LMTX bug fix: tweaks in PDF generation
@ 2022-10-10 15:31 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-10-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 10/9/22 17:33, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> So please: Try to preview and then try to print the attached PDF;
> and report back if either preview or printout does not look like
> the attached reference PNG image (i.e. something is missing,
> the fonts look different, or have wrong relative size.)

Hi Leah,

I used Acrobat DC, SumatraPDF and Firefox in Windows and all programs
displayed and printed your document fine (Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE).

I had no issues before printing LMTX-generated documents.

Many thanks for your work fixing the issues (wrong font display and
printing with some printers),

Pablo

* Re: Help test a LMTX bug fix: tweaks in PDF generation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-11 11:26 ` Gerion Entrup via ntg-context
From: Gerion Entrup via ntg-context @ 2022-10-11 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Gerion Entrup

Am Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2022, 17:33:09 CEST schrieb Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context:
> So please: Try to preview and then try to print the attached PDF;
> and report back if either preview or printout does not look like
> the attached reference PNG image (i.e. something is missing,
> the fonts look different, or have wrong relative size.)

Okular, MuPDF and pdf.js (Firefox) on Linux look fine.
Gimp and Krita also look fine (but I think they are both using poppler).
LibreOffice Draw does not (font sizes are wrong). However, this is not directly a PDF viewer, so I'm pretty sure it can be ignored.

Best,
Gerion