* Fwd:  No error when loading a non-existent module
       [not found] <59d37375-042d-2a8a-99b7-42a944bad3dd@freedom.nl>
@ 2022-08-26  7:23 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-08-26  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] No error when loading a non-existent module
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 09:22:24 +0200
From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@freedom.nl>
To: Max Chernoff <mseven@telus.net>

On 8/26/2022 8:45 AM, Max Chernoff wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-08-26 at 07:40 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 8/26/2022 3:00 AM, Max Chernoff wrote:
>>> Is there a way to make this produce a nice little "error" PDF as soon as
>>> the error occurs just like using "\undefined" does?
>>
>> Only If I add it as option (directive driven, must find some good name
>> for it).
>
> You already have errors and warnings as an option, so a good name might
> be "fatal"?

i'll put it on the 'to do'

>> Most modules add commands and that shows immediately. Modules that kick
>> in without some command that needs to enable something are sort of
>> not-done or rare and experimental only and comparable to when some
>> module patches or overloads core functionality withoutr mentioning it.
>
> Here I'm mainly thinking about my lua-widow-control module, which
> produces a visual effect, although it can be quite subtle if you're not
> paying very close attention.

but i assuem that one has to explcitly enable that feature via a command
as with any such feature so then one would get an undefined command when
the module is not loaded

> Not seeing anything on the Wiki about either of those. I guess that
> means I'm volunteering myself :)

guess so, i think it's in some (old) manual

> Similarly to "cont-loc.mkxl", is there some local file that is only read
> during format generation? Some of my documents use pgf/TikZ and expl3,
> and loading these during format generation can save quite a bit of time
> when compiling. I know that I can just modify "cont-en.mkxl" or
> "context.mkxl", but those can be overwritten by updates.

no, these files are always read runtime (when present); personally i
only use cont-loc fdor things like this:

\enablemode[atpragma]
\enablemode[*allfonts]
\enabletrackers[pages.timing]
% \enabletrackers[system.usage=summary]

and there is very little in cont-new while in cont-exp i only have some
features or optimizations enabled that i run for a while before they
become default

we're not going to add features that preloads extra stuff. i don't even
want to think about possible interference because who knows what those
systems set and do, and there's also order involved; i can even imagine
that one then has to bump token memory. also, from the perspective of
support it is handy to know that a standardized format is used

normally loading files is fast enough once the os has them cached and
afaiks tikz is not the fastest subsystem anyway so that probably impacts
runtime anyway

Hans

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-08-26  7:23 UTC | newest]