* [NTG-context] PDF/UA-2, WTPDF
@ 2024-04-06 15:34 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-04-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting a post by Philipp Kiff,
https://mastodon.social/@pkiff/112219488889350928:

In amongst the release of PDF/UA-2 (PDF for Universal Accessibility) and
the new Well-Tagged PDF (WTPDF) standard last month, some PDF
professionals may have missed two other new resources that may help
explain and view them:

1. Questions and Answers about Tagged PDF from PDF association

2. Acrobat Custom File Info Panels by Peter Wyatt

Last month saw the release of PDF/UA-2 and the new Well-Tagged PDF
(WTPDF) standard - neither of which revokes PDF/UA-1. And none of those
are the same as PDF 1.7 vs 2.0. To many, the landscape of PDF specs may
now seem littered with confusing acronyms and versions!

For some help disentangling it all, the PDF association has a Questions
and Answers about Tagged PDF:

https://pdfa.org/resource/tagged-pdf-q-a/

In related news, Peter Wyatt released Acrobat Custom File Info Panels.
This is a free extension for Acrobat that adds new panels to the XMP
metadata shown when you view File > Properties in Acrobat Pro.

The new panels allow you to view the additional conformance claims and
dated revisions of ISO standards that can now be included in PDFs, but
that aren't currently visible in the standard Acrobat panels.

https://pdfa.org/discovering-pdf-metadata/

One thing I realized in reading through the new standards and looking at
various sample files this week is that I should probably spend some time
learning LaTeX! Both LaTeX and LibreOffice are already capable of
producing PDF/UA-2 files, and with some tweaking, LaTeX can produce what
appear to be really good WTPDF files. Kudos to both those development teams!

https://github.com/latex3/tagging-project/discussions/72

Finally, in case you missed earlier posts from last month, here are
links to the official sources for the two new PDF standards that these
other resources relate to:

1. PDF/UA-2
https://pdfa.org/iso-14289-2-pdfua-2/

2. Well-Tagged PDF (WTPDF)
https://pdfa.org/wtpdf/

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: PDF/UA-2, WTPDF
@ 2024-04-07  6:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-07  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/6/2024 5:34 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> 1. PDF/UA-2
> https://pdfa.org/iso-14289-2-pdfua-2/

looks likes one has to pay for it

> 2. Well-Tagged PDF (WTPDF)
> https://pdfa.org/wtpdf/
well, tagging ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: PDF/UA-2, WTPDF
@ 2024-04-07  7:31   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-04-07  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 07.04.24 um 08:06 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 4/6/2024 5:34 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>
>> 1. PDF/UA-2
>> https://pdfa.org/iso-14289-2-pdfua-2/
>
> looks likes one has to pay for it

Oh, as usual with PDF association…

That’s not how you promote open standards.

(Didn’t check, jost forwarded the message.)

>> 2. Well-Tagged PDF (WTPDF)
>> https://pdfa.org/wtpdf/
> well, tagging ...

Of course.

But you asked for wanted accessibility features:

We have \pdfbackendactualtext{visible}{alternative}, can we get
alternative text (ActualText) for images?
Not automatically, of course (if someone wants AI descriptions they can
implement a module), just as a keyword in \externalfigure?

Hraban

@ 2024-04-07  9:17     ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2024-04-07  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:31:30 +0200 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Am 07.04.24 um 08:06 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 4/6/2024 5:34 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> 1. PDF/UA-2
>>> https://pdfa.org/iso-14289-2-pdfua-2/
>>
>> looks likes one has to pay for it
>
> Oh, as usual with PDF association…

Sorry that pdf/UA-2 costs something is due to ISO not to the PDF
association. The PDF association made the WTPDF document which is
for free (and is very similar to pdf/UA-2). And imho they are also
trying to get sponsors for PDF/UA-2 (something they already did for
the PDF 2.0 spec which you now can buy for 0€).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

@ 2024-04-07  9:57       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-04-07  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 07.04.24 um 11:17 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
> Am Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:31:30 +0200 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

>>> looks likes one has to pay for it
>>
>> Oh, as usual with PDF association…
>
> Sorry that pdf/UA-2 costs something is due to ISO not to the PDF
> association. The PDF association made the WTPDF document which is
> for free (and is very similar to pdf/UA-2). And imho they are also
> trying to get sponsors for PDF/UA-2 (something they already did for
> the PDF 2.0 spec which you now can buy for 0€).

Ok, sorry for barking at the wrong tree!

And I guess DANTE as a member of PDF association has access to the
documents anyway?

Hraban

@ 2024-04-07 10:28         ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2024-04-07 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:57:33 +0200 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

>>> Oh, as usual with PDF association…
>>
>> Sorry that pdf/UA-2 costs something is due to ISO not to the PDF
>> association. The PDF association made the WTPDF document which is
>> for free (and is very similar to pdf/UA-2). And imho they are also
>> trying to get sponsors for PDF/UA-2 (something they already did for
>> the PDF 2.0 spec which you now can buy for 0€).
>
> Ok, sorry for barking at the wrong tree!
>
> And I guess DANTE as a member of PDF association has access to the
> documents anyway?

No, members have access to drafts during the time such a standard is
developed and discussed in the Working Groups but once it is
released there is no longer a free access.

BTW: The LaTeX Project is a member too https://pdfa.org/member/

--

@ 2024-04-07 16:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-07 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/7/2024 9:31 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 07.04.24 um 08:06 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 4/6/2024 5:34 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> 1. PDF/UA-2
>>> https://pdfa.org/iso-14289-2-pdfua-2/
>>
>> looks likes one has to pay for it
>
> Oh, as usual with PDF association…
>
> That’s not how you promote open standards.
>
> (Didn’t check, jost forwarded the message.)
>
>>> 2. Well-Tagged PDF (WTPDF)
>>> https://pdfa.org/wtpdf/
>> well, tagging ...
>
> Of course.
>
> But you asked for wanted accessibility features:

sure.

> We have \pdfbackendactualtext{visible}{alternative}, can we get
> alternative text (ActualText) for images?
> Not automatically, of course (if someone wants AI descriptions they can
> implement a module), just as a keyword in \externalfigure?

we can add a description option that then can eb used in the wrapper
(not that it helps much to make an image accessible)

btw, someone showed me what this acrobat liquid mode does to a document
... the fact that one has to apply 'ai' to a document is a bad omen and
makes one wonder ... but anyway, big tech, big money, etc so ... (after
visiting a typesetting museum today one again realizes that a few
decades from now one will look back in a certain way, not all is progress)

one thing we need to keep in mind is that as soon as 'obsolete' and 'not
to be used' enters descriptions (which kind of contradicts the
flexibility of sofware) one can also wonder how older documents can ever
match a standard; i often get the impression that instead of some
thinking ahead we end up adapting to what can't be done or what went
wrong (and calling something a standard can then be a way to obscure)

anyway, one way or the other we will cope (and it depends on user demand
which in turn depends on organizational demand)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-04-07 17:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

-- Support for MathML*

ha, mml and support for it (comes and goes in browsers) has been if flux
for ages (features get added but also removed) so what are we talking
about here, maybe in a few decades when people stopped messing with it
(and somethign new showed up it might work out

-- Support for modern Unicode*

i must have missed something (probably ancient unicode)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-04-07 17:11     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-04-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/7/2024 9:31 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 07.04.24 um 08:06 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 4/6/2024 5:34 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> 1. PDF/UA-2
>>> https://pdfa.org/iso-14289-2-pdfua-2/
>>
>> looks likes one has to pay for it
>
> That’s not how you promote open standards.
should have been an ecma standard instead

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl