* font expansion MkXL vs. MkIV
@ 2020-02-16 20:22 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-02-16 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang and Hans,

I have the following sample:

    \setuppapersize[A5]
    \definefontfeature[default][default]
        [protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
    \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Source Serif Pro]
    \setupalign[hanging, hz]
    \setupbodyfont[mainface, 17pt]
    %~ \setupbodyfont[helvetica, 17pt]
    \starttext
    \input zapf
    \stoptext

hz doesn’t work fine in MkXL, but it works fine in MkIV.

I think the flow of characters is broken in MKXL. Some

With TeX Gyre Heros (https://pdf.ousia.tk/mkiv-hz.pdf and
https://pdf.ousia.tk/mkxl-hz.pdf):

- "computer": line 5.
- "basic": line 8.
- "showing": line 10.

With Source Serif Pro, also (https://pdf.ousia.tk/ssp-mkiv-hz.pdf and
https://pdf.ousia.tk/ssp-mkxl-hz.pdf):

- "publishing": line 2.
- "about": line 4.
- "between": line 10.

I’m experiencing this wherever I use hz with MkXL.

Sorry, but cannot the default values for quality font expansion be the
same in MkIV and MkXL?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: font expansion MkXL vs. MkIV
@ 2020-02-16 22:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-16 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/16/2020 9:22 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang and Hans,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>      \setuppapersize[A5]
>      \definefontfeature[default][default]
>          [protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
>      \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Source Serif Pro]
>      \setupalign[hanging, hz]
>      \setupbodyfont[mainface, 17pt]
>      %~ \setupbodyfont[helvetica, 17pt]
>      \starttext
>      \input zapf
>      \stoptext
>
> hz doesn’t work fine in MkXL, but it works fine in MkIV.
>
> I think the flow of characters is broken in MKXL. Some
>
> With TeX Gyre Heros (https://pdf.ousia.tk/mkiv-hz.pdf and
> https://pdf.ousia.tk/mkxl-hz.pdf):
>
> - "computer": line 5.
> - "basic": line 8.
> - "showing": line 10.
>
> With Source Serif Pro, also (https://pdf.ousia.tk/ssp-mkiv-hz.pdf and
> https://pdf.ousia.tk/ssp-mkxl-hz.pdf):
>
> - "publishing": line 2.
> - "about": line 4.
> - "between": line 10.
>
> I’m experiencing this wherever I use hz with MkXL.
>
> Sorry, but cannot the default values for quality font expansion be the
> same in MkIV and MkXL?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
in lmtx there is more precise handling of edge cases (protrusion) that
are ignored in mkiv ... so any difference that you observe can simply be
a side effect of tex deciding otherwise (because these calculations do
influence linebreaks)

anyway, you should use 'stretch' to because otherwise expansion and
protrusion has not enough options to do better (the linebreak third pass
that is)

\setupalign[hanging, stretch, hz]

Hans

* Re: font expansion MkXL vs. MkIV
@ 2020-02-17 15:51   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-02-17 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/16/20 11:00 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
> in lmtx there is more precise handling of edge cases (protrusion) that
> are ignored in mkiv ... so any difference that you observe can simply be
> a side effect of tex deciding otherwise (because these calculations do
> influence linebreaks)
>
> anyway, you should use 'stretch' to because otherwise expansion and
> protrusion has not enough options to do better (the linebreak third pass
> that is)
>
> \setupalign[hanging, stretch, hz]

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

I’m afraid that "stretch" doesn’t make any difference with TeX Gyre
Heros (https://pdf.ousia.tk/stretch-mkxl-hz.pdf) and it only corrected
one problematic case with Source Serif Pro
(https://pdf.ousia.tk/stretch-ssp-mkxl-hz.pdf).

Sorry if I hadn’t expressed myself accurately before. The issue here
isn’t having exactly the same output in both MkIV and MkXL. The real
problem is that characters are misplaced in MkXL with hz enabled. I
think this might be a bug.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2020-02-17 18:49     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-17 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/17/2020 4:51 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 2/16/20 11:00 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> in lmtx there is more precise handling of edge cases (protrusion) that
>> are ignored in mkiv ... so any difference that you observe can simply be
>> a side effect of tex deciding otherwise (because these calculations do
>> influence linebreaks)
>>
>> anyway, you should use 'stretch' to because otherwise expansion and
>> protrusion has not enough options to do better (the linebreak third pass
>> that is)
>>
>> \setupalign[hanging, stretch, hz]
>
> Many thanks for your reply, Hans.
>
> I’m afraid that "stretch" doesn’t make any difference with TeX Gyre
> Heros (https://pdf.ousia.tk/stretch-mkxl-hz.pdf) and it only corrected
> one problematic case with Source Serif Pro
> (https://pdf.ousia.tk/stretch-ssp-mkxl-hz.pdf).
>
> Sorry if I hadn’t expressed myself accurately before. The issue here
> isn’t having exactly the same output in both MkIV and MkXL. The real
> problem is that characters are misplaced in MkXL with hz enabled. I
> think this might be a bug.
hm, i uploaded a maybe better variant

Hans

* Re: font expansion MkXL vs. MkIV
@ 2020-02-17 21:56       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-02-17 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/17/20 7:49 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Sorry if I hadn’t expressed myself accurately before. The issue here
>> isn’t having exactly the same output in both MkIV and MkXL. The real
>> problem is that characters are misplaced in MkXL with hz enabled. I
>> think this might be a bug.
>
> hm, i uploaded a maybe better variant

Many thanks for the new version, Hans.

It works much better now. Dos the improvement come from the new
LuaMetaTeX binary?

Many thanks again,

Pablo
--

@ 2020-02-18  7:45         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-18  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/17/2020 10:56 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 2/17/20 7:49 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 2/17/2020 4:51 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Sorry if I hadn’t expressed myself accurately before. The issue here
>>> isn’t having exactly the same output in both MkIV and MkXL. The real
>>> problem is that characters are misplaced in MkXL with hz enabled. I
>>> think this might be a bug.
>>
>> hm, i uploaded a maybe better variant
>
> Many thanks for the new version, Hans.
>
> It works much better now. Dos the improvement come from the new
> LuaMetaTeX binary?

not this time. its from usage

Hans