* new module: streams
@ 2006-03-31 17:58 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-03-31 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

as you may have seen in the lates release notes, ConTeXt has a new
feature: we have now streams for even and odd pages that can be
synchronized at certain points. This is useful for, e.g., typesetting
bilingual books: have the original on the even pages, the translation
on the odd pages, and synchronize at certain points. I was very
tenacious about it, and Hans has been characteristically generous
with his skills and his time and has implemented something. I'm sure
if some of you are interested, we will be able to refine it.

I am uploading a pdf-document displaying this new feature to our
institute's website. Due to the system our university uses, it may
take until tomorrow until it's really visible at http://www.uni-
bonn.de/www/Philologie/Personal/Schmitz/Dateien.html It's a bilingual
(Greek-German) edition of a number of Greek texts for my lecture
course next semester. It's not perfect, but it shows how powerful
this new feature is. Have a look at it; if anybody is interested in
seeing the source code, just contact me, and I'll be happy to send it
along. Just a very brief explanation, if you want to try this at home:

In the module, Hans has suggested a few shortcuts to using it, so I
have in the preamble of the document:

\usemodule[streams]

\def\StartCouple{\page\SwitchToNormal}
\def\StopCouple {\SwitchToNormal \SynchronizeLeftAndRight
\FlushLeftAndRight}
\def\Original   {\SwitchToNormal\SynchronizeLeftAndRight\SwitchToLeft}
\def\Translation{\SwitchToRight}

So you put the part of your document where synchronization should
take place between \StartCouple and \StopCouple. After that ,
\Original and \Translation switches between even and odd pages.

I know that several people on the list asked for a similar feature,
and I'm very grateful to Hans for providing it.

Best

Thomas

* Re: new module: streams
@ 2006-03-31 21:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-31 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> as you may have seen in the lates release notes, ConTeXt has a new
> feature: we have now streams for even and odd pages that can be

another nice application is shown at the end of m-streams.tex; the interesting thing there is that we can use all commands that make sense in the mvl (main vertical list) and afterwards treat it as box content (one can even combine streams); the limitation is that it has to fit on one page but for inserts and such this is ok [one can for instance use multi columns in such inserts[

as thomas already points out, it is something promissing and it needs testing and such; as with layers, this open sup a whole box of possibilities

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE