* Miktex, Metapost and \loadfontfilesoncetrue
@ 2006-03-27 23:22 WN
From: WN @ 2006-03-27 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am using Miktex (latest updated version) and the latest
Context on WindowsXP (write18 enabled).

This is what happens :

1) First run of texexec gives me
! Undefined control sequence
l 1 \global \loadfontfileoncetrue

2) Second texexec run compiles fine, and the Metapost code is processed
and included in the resulting PDF document

3) Third run of texexec same error as in 1)

Looking at i.e *mptrace.tmp* file it says

mpgraph:=1;
randomseed:=1559;
_special_div_ := 1000;
if unknown context_tool: input mp-tool;
fi;
if unknown context_spec: input mp-spec;
fi;
if unknown context_grph: input mp-grph;
fi;
graphictextformat:="context";
*graphictextdirective "\global \loadfontfileoncetrue ";*
string contextversion;
contextversion:="2006.03.25 13:21";
if not known _data_prefix_: string _data_prefix_,_data_suffix_;
fi;

Does someone know the solution to this problem ?

Thanks
Wim

* Re: Miktex, Metapost and \loadfontfilesoncetrue
@ 2006-03-28  8:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-28  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

WN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Miktex (latest updated version) and the latest
> Context on WindowsXP (write18 enabled).
>
> This is what happens :
>
> 1) First run of texexec gives me
> ! Undefined control sequence
> l 1 \global \loadfontfileoncetrue

probably a mismatch between an old format and new tex files

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-03-28 12:51   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-03-28 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/28/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> WN wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using Miktex (latest updated version) and the latest
> > Context on WindowsXP (write18 enabled).
> >
> > This is what happens :
> >
> > 1) First run of texexec gives me
> > ! Undefined control sequence
> > l 1 \global \loadfontfileoncetrue
> >

> probably a mismatch between an old format and new tex files

This looks like the neverending(?) problem (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/7649/match=loadfontfileoncetrue
from 2002) with texexec.pl running the metapost btex ... etex code
with plain tex format instead of ConTeXt format. (newtexexec isn't
fixed yet either) Plain tex doesn't know about the
\loadfontfileoncetrue command, that's why it's complaining.

I might be wrong, but at least that was the problem I experienced on
different computers that I use.

    Mojca

(PS for "gnuplotters": Sorry for being "a bit offline" in the last weeks.)

* Re: Miktex, Metapost and \loadfontfilesoncetrue
@ 2006-03-30 15:07   ` WN
From: WN @ 2006-03-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> WN wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using Miktex (latest updated version) and the latest
>> Context on WindowsXP (write18 enabled).
>>
>> This is what happens :
>>
>> 1) First run of texexec gives me
>> ! Undefined control sequence
>> l 1 \global \loadfontfileoncetrue
>>

> probably a mismatch between an old format and new tex files
>
> Hans

To Hans,
No, the formats are all newly generated after the install of cont-tmf.zip.
The \loadfontfileoncetrue is used in meta-ini.tex  by
\def\resetMPenvironment
but what why is it needed ?

Does it reload fonts as defined in Context (typescripts) when btex/etex
is used in Metapost ??

@ 2006-03-30 19:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-30 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

WN wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> WN wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using Miktex (latest updated version) and the latest
>>> Context on WindowsXP (write18 enabled).
>>>
>>> This is what happens :
>>>
>>> 1) First run of texexec gives me
>>> ! Undefined control sequence
>>> l 1 \global \loadfontfileoncetrue
>>>

>> probably a mismatch between an old format and new tex files
>>
>> Hans
>>

> To Hans,
> No, the formats are all newly generated after the install of cont-tmf.zip.
> The \loadfontfileoncetrue is used in meta-ini.tex  by
> \def\resetMPenvironment
> but what why is it needed ?
>
> Does it reload fonts as defined in Context (typescripts) when btex/etex
> is used in Metapost ??

it indeed has to do with that; some low level commands deal with
efficient processing of mp in between runs

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-03-31  6:45       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-31  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
>>Does it reload fonts as defined in Context (typescripts) when btex/etex
>>is used in Metapost ??
>
> it indeed has to do with that; some low level commands deal with
> efficient processing of mp in between runs

For the original problem, I guess Mojca is closest to the
actual problem. She herself has a continuing fight with
btex/etex and textext(). If you can, you should try to post
a 'recipe': make a minimal example in a clean directory,
post that here along with what commands to run, and all
of the results (logs, temp files) you get.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Miktex, Metapost and \loadfontfilesoncetrue
@ 2006-04-04  0:49         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-04-04  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/31/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> For the original problem, I guess Mojca is closest to the
> actual problem. She herself has a continuing fight with
> btex/etex and textext(). If you can, you should try to post
> a 'recipe': make a minimal example in a clean directory,
> post that here along with what commands to run, and all
> of the results (logs, temp files) you get.

The perl script (texexec.pl) has some difficulties (sometimes the
problem with wrong format loding appears and sometimes not), but since
the ruby script is supposed to replace it anyway it doesn't really
make sense to lose time fixing old stuff.

Hans has just fixed the behaviour of newtexexec.rb, so I would suggest
you to do the following:

1. create a file texexec.bat with the following content:
    texmfstart newtexexec.rb %*
and place that file to some arbitrary folder in PATH (but has to be in
front of MikTeX in PATH). So that after you type "texexec",
"texmfstart newtexexec.rb" will be executed.
You might have to download "texmfstart" if you don't have it yet
(cont-win.zip from pragma website, simply drop it into MikTeX bin
folder for example).

You may also try to politely ask the maintainer of MikTeX to include
the texmfstart.exe into MikTeX by default (the more users ask for it,
the more likely will be that he'll do that).

2. wait until Hans uploads the new beta & extract the content from
cont-tfm.zip into the MikTeX tree (to the proper place); I guess that
it should be enough if you only replace the content of /scripts/ruby/*
(Theoretically you can also wait for update in MikTeX, but that would
definitely take much longer.)

Then cross your fingers and try to compile your file again!

Mojca

* Re: Miktex, Metapost and \loadfontfilesoncetrue
@ 2006-04-04 16:30           ` WN
From: WN @ 2006-04-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apologies for not replying to earlier emails. To be honest
it is sometimes difficult to keep track of the threads
and especially to whom the emails are directed.

I was/am busy in doing a lot of the Latex -> Context conversions
with a small perl script and this consumes a lot of my time.
Perhaps I should make this perl script public, as more people are making
the switch to Context, however my perl programming skills
are not that good, just a beginner. If someone is interested,
just write an email and I will send you a copy.

I will certainly try to follow and implement your suggetions
and I will try to give you feedback.

Thanks for your time/help
Kind regards

Wim