* Cite module: APA citation proposals
@ 2006-04-04 21:21 Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-04-04 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm using Tacos cite module with the default APA style. I'm a biochemist and
the majority of my cited sources derives from www.pubmed.org, which I
import into BibTeX via pybliographic. I have some slight problems with the
formating as provided by the database and was wondering whether it's
possible to fix them ...
1) Titles from PubMed always end with a '.'. Since the cite module (at least
the version with Tetex in Debian unstable) does not check for the presence
of a '.', but just appends one, I end up with 2 '.'s after the title when
using a unmanipulated *.bib file. Would it be possible to include a check
for that into the module?
2) Pybliographic also delivers the article language in a 'language' field
and not in the 'lang' field the cite module expects, which terminates
compilation with an unmanipulated *.bib file. Would it be possible to make
the module more promiscuous in this respect?

Thanks for any consideration of these minor, but inconvenient, points,

Joh

* Re: Cite module: APA citation proposals
@ 2006-04-05  9:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-05  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Graumann wrote:

> 1) Titles from PubMed always end with a '.'. Since the cite module (at least
> the version with Tetex in Debian unstable) does not check for the presence
> of a '.', but just appends one, I end up with 2 '.'s after the title when
> using a unmanipulated *.bib file. Would it be possible to include a check
> for that into the module?

That is a bit problematic, to be honest. My suggestion is to make a copy
of the bibl-apa.tex style and removing the additional dots from that.

> 2) Pybliographic also delivers the article language in a 'language' field
> and not in the 'lang' field the cite module expects, which terminates
> compilation with an unmanipulated *.bib file. Would it be possible to make
> the module more promiscuous in this respect?

AFAIK, the module should understand bibtexs language field. An example
would be helpful for bughunting.

Cheers, taco

* Re: Cite module: APA citation proposals
@ 2006-04-05 17:02 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-04-05 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/4/06, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a biochemist and
> the majority of my cited sources derives from www.pubmed.org, which I
> import into BibTeX via pybliographic. I have some slight problems with the
> formating as provided by the database and was wondering whether it's
> possible to fix them ...

Have you ever tried JabRef? I find it a marvellous tool (there is some
functionality which could be added, but the current functionality is
more than satisfying for me).
You can write the article's Pubmed ID and it will import all the data
automatically (I guess that pybliographer does that as well, but in
any case - it is one of the features I like most).

> 1) Titles from PubMed always end with a '.'. Since the cite module (at least
> the version with Tetex in Debian unstable) does not check for the presence
> of a '.', but just appends one, I end up with 2 '.'s after the title when
> using a unmanipulated *.bib file. Would it be possible to include a check
> for that into the module?

Are you sure that the dot comes from PubMed? In that I case I would
call it pybliographic's problem, not Taco's problem.
Removing the trailing dot (if it's really explicitely present in the
title) is doable in TeX, but a bit complex and imagine that you had a
title where you wanted to keep the trailing dot intentionally. Besides
that you would surely want to remove that dot on other places as well,
not only under "References".

Why don't you simply open the resulting bib file in a good text editor
and delete the trailing dots in titles with a single regular
expression? If you don't know how to do that in less than 10 seconds,
write me off-list (and include the .bib file).

I never had any problems with dots in PubMed's articles. However
there's often an additional dot if some data is missing. That can be
regulated with style. Sometimes the default behaviour is to write down
a dot even if some bib field is empty. You can fix that with adjusting
 \setuppublicationlayout. See bibl-apa.tex or the documentation.
(That's what Taco already suggested.)

Mojca

PS: I noticed that some updates are being made about the modules, but
the following sites
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Taco/Bib
http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib (wrong link to the documentation)
[content of] http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/
seem a bit unsyncronized (and not enough "interlinked"). "dl" was the
only place where I managed to find the documentation.
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography should perhaps include all
the relevant links including documentation. Should the latest module
version point on "aanhet" or on the "modules" section?

* Re: Cite module: APA citation proposals
@ 2006-04-05 17:52   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-05 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> PS: I noticed that some updates are being made about the modules, but
> the following sites

I am slowly fixing all those links. The contextgarden is the leading
source of the module as well as the manual.

> http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib (wrong link to the documentation)

I tried to fix that but just made the mess a bit bigger, I am afraid.
At the moment, there are two links at modules@contextgarden that both
point to dl@contextgarden. The bottom one "Manual (alternative link)"
is the right one, the other one is broken (old path). It seems
documentation items are still read-only, so I only added to the mess
when I tried to fix it. Sorry, Patrick!

Cheers, Taco