* [NTG-context] Wiki problem - labels missing from the main diagram on the Page Layout page
@ 2023-11-05 18:11 Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2023-11-05 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I go to the page layout page on the Contextgarden wiki

  <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_Layout>

the "typesetting areas" diagram is missing its text labels. If I click on the diagram the Wiki takes me to the underlying layout.svg file and then I /do/ see the labels.

This happens in both Safari and Firefox.

Any suggestions as to what needs to be changed to get the diagram to display correctly?

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Wiki problem - labels missing from the main diagram on the Page Layout page
@ 2023-11-05 19:19 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2023-11-05 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 05.11.23 um 19:11 schrieb Bruce Horrocks:
> When I go to the page layout page on the Contextgarden wiki
>
>    <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_Layout>
>
> the "typesetting areas" diagram is missing its text labels. If I click on the diagram the Wiki takes me to the underlying layout.svg file and then I /do/ see the labels.
>
> This happens in both Safari and Firefox.
>
> Any suggestions as to what needs to be changed to get the diagram to display correctly?

Probably a problem on your side – works for me with Firefox and Chrome
based browsers. And I’ve no clue which setting would influence that.

Web developer tools as well as Inkscape show that there’s no real text
in the SVG, just paths.

Hraban

@ 2023-11-05 20:24   ` peter.hopcroft--- via ntg-context
From: peter.hopcroft--- via ntg-context @ 2023-11-05 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see this problem on my iPad: Safari and Orion browsers.

I do not see this problem on my mac: Safari and Orion browsers.

Peter

@ 2023-11-05 23:35     ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2023-11-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 5 Nov 2023, at 20:24, peter.hopcroft--- via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> I see this problem on my iPad: Safari and Orion browsers.
>
> I do not see this problem on my mac: Safari and Orion browsers.

Thank-you both for checking.

Looking more closely it seems that the web page is actually showing a PNG preview of the SVG file

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/thumb/5/54/layout.svg/525px-layout.svg.png

(NB: there are alternate size variants so the px value may vary for you.[1])

But the issue is still the same - the text labels won't display when the .png is viewed via the main page but do display correctly when opened directly.

I'll keep delving.

[1] Now there's an irony: the Wiki software creates different-sized previews of a vector image so that it can show the image at different sizes on different clients.

—

@ 2023-11-06  7:56       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2023-11-06  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 6 Nov 2023, at 00:35, Bruce Horrocks <ntg@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>

> [1] Now there's an irony: the Wiki software creates different-sized previews of a vector image so that it can show the image at different sizes on different clients.

I bet it started doing this back 'in the day’ to support Internet Explorer 6.

@ 2023-11-08  8:53 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2023-11-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 18:11:45 +0000
Bruce Horrocks <ntg@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> When I go to the page layout page on the Contextgarden wiki
>
>   <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_Layout>
>
> the "typesetting areas" diagram is missing its text labels.

Fixed.

> Any suggestions as to what needs to be changed to get the diagram to
> display correctly?

I saved it again and now it seems to work.

Marco

@ 2023-11-08  9:12   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2023-11-08  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context