* pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-03  8:17 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-03  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

Do I have to learn lpeg now, in order to port pret-c.lua to v-c.lua, or is
there a simpler way?

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-03  9:28 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-03  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peters,

I can either help or port if needed…

Cheers,

Renaud

@ 2010-12-03 21:31   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-03 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 03 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> I can either help or port if needed…

Yes, that would be really great!! Thank you!
In the meantime, I'll work with an older version.
(no time to learn lpeg now...)
Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-12-03 21:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-03 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-12-2010 10:31, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>
>> I can either help or port if needed…
>
> Yes, that would be really great!! Thank you!
> In the meantime, I'll work with an older version.
> (no time to learn lpeg now...)

fyi: the name should be more explicit, like v-c-variant-xxx or so as the
can be multiple solutions; the shorter v-*.lua and v-parsed-*.lua names
are reserved for core lexers (on my agenda is to do some c lexing as
part of cweb lexing) .

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-04  2:31       ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-04  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Work in progress… I hope to deliver something operational at the end of
this weekend or sometime in the next week.
The "not-so-temporary" name is u-pretty-c.lua and u-pretty-c.mkiv
according to Hans's recommandations:
"Now, additional pretty printers can be plugged in as well (there is a
register function for that) and can have names not starting with v-.
Even better, they can be regular user modules, so in your case
u-pretty-ra-xml.tex or so will do."

FYI, the port of the previously submitted pret-xml.lua (now
u-pretty-ra-xml, based on the new pp structure) is in progress…
u-pretty-ra-xml is, in my POV, too complicated to be used as a decent
use case to rewrite the wiki page related to Pretty Printing but
u-pretty-c will certainly be a good candidate…

Renaud

Le 03/12/2010 22:38, Hans Hagen a écrit :
> On 3-12-2010 10:31, Peter Münster wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 03 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>>
>>> I can either help or port if needed…
>>
>> Yes, that would be really great!! Thank you!
>> In the meantime, I'll work with an older version.
>> (no time to learn lpeg now...)
>
> fyi: the name should be more explicit, like v-c-variant-xxx or so as
> the can be multiple solutions; the shorter v-*.lua and v-parsed-*.lua
> names are reserved for core lexers (on my agenda is to do some c
> lexing as part of cweb lexing) .
>
> Hans

* Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-05  2:06         ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-05  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Ok, I have made a first version available as a Dropbox ressource:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5289718/u-pretty-c.7z
It certainly needs some improvements (I have some in mind since I have
tested it on time.h ⇒ ouch). Feedbacks are welcome since I'll not use it
intensively in a near future.

Peter: could you test it? I let you add your copy(left) stuff and I will
make a public git repo on gitorious if you agree.

Hans: do you agree with the naming scheme and the copyright stuff before
I put it on gitorious?

Cheers,

Renaud

* Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-05  9:36           ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-05  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 05 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Peter: could you test it?

Hello Renaud,

Yes, I've tested with my standard "test.tex" and it's really good, even more
coloring than my pret-c.lua !

> I let you add your copy(left) stuff

Why me?

> and I will make a public git repo on gitorious if you agree.

Good idea (how could I disagree???).

Many thanks for your efforts!
Peter

--

@ 2010-12-05 19:20             ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Peter,
> Yes, I've tested with my standard "test.tex" and it's really good, even more
> coloring than my pret-c.lua !
I have added variable name coloring as in GNU/Emacs + { } block
delimiters coloring (that's straightforward when starting from Hans's
v-lua.lua).
>> I let you add your copy(left) stuff
> Why me?
That code is not directly from your pret-c but You could be credited
since your work is my entry point…
>> and I will make a public git repo on gitorious if you agree.
> Good idea (how could I disagree???).
Ok, then it will be done later this evening.
> Many thanks for your efforts!
Your welcome, that's only a small contribution considering all the
questions I have posted to that list until now.

Cheers,

Renaud

* Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-06  8:54           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-12-2010 3:06, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> Ok, I have made a first version available as a Dropbox ressource:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5289718/u-pretty-c.7z
> It certainly needs some improvements (I have some in mind since I have
> tested it on time.h ⇒ ouch). Feedbacks are welcome since I'll not use it
> intensively in a near future.
>
> Peter: could you test it? I let you add your copy(left) stuff and I will
> make a public git repo on gitorious if you agree.
>
> Hans: do you agree with the naming scheme and the copyright stuff before
> I put it on gitorious?

maybe better the name t-pretty-c is better, of if you follow some
strategy t-pretty-emacs-c or so (if there are many variants possible)

maybe you should protect the color names as for instance redefining
darkred might not be the intention

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua
@ 2010-12-06 14:04             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-06 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> maybe better the name t-pretty-c is better, of if you follow some
> strategy t-pretty-emacs-c or so (if there are many variants
> possible)

The only thing in common with emacs, is the default color-scheme. You can get
any variant just by changing the color setup.
Peter

--

@ 2010-12-06 19:55               ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-06 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

20:40 nibua-r committed 9c5877c
Color abstraction.

20:33 nibua-r committed 2a2a9e1
The test file now use t-pretty-c instead of u-pretty-c.

20:31 nibua-r committed 921eca5
u-pretty-c renamed to t-pretty-c as suggested by Hans. Colors are now
protected using the C prefix.

Concerning the color abstraction patch, one needs just to overload
Ccomment, Cpreproc, Cstring, Ctype, Ckeyword, Cname and Cfuncnbound to
use custom color scheme.

Cheers,

Renaud

Le 06/12/2010 15:04, Peter Münster a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> maybe better the name t-pretty-c is better, of if you follow some
>> strategy t-pretty-emacs-c or so (if there are many variants
>> possible)
>
> The only thing in common with emacs, is the default color-scheme. You can get
> any variant just by changing the color setup.
> Peter

* colors for pretty-printing (was: Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua)
@ 2010-12-07 11:25                 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-07 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Concerning the color abstraction patch, one needs just to overload
> Ccomment, Cpreproc, Cstring, Ctype, Ckeyword, Cname and Cfuncnbound to
> use custom color scheme.

You don't need that. There is already a standard interface for color and style
configuration. Example:

\setupstartstop[CSnippetComment][color=blue]

So you can simplify t-pretty-c.mkiv:

\unprotect

\setupcolor[ema]

\definestartstop
    [CSnippetName]
    [\c!color=darkgoldenrod,
     \c!style=]

and so on...

Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: colors for pretty-printing (was: Re: pret-c.lua -> v-c.lua)
@ 2010-12-07 13:29                   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-12-07 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>
>> Concerning the color abstraction patch, one needs just to overload
>> Ccomment, Cpreproc, Cstring, Ctype, Ckeyword, Cname and Cfuncnbound to
>> use custom color scheme.
>
> You don't need that. There is already a standard interface for color and style
> configuration. Example:
>
> \setupstartstop[CSnippetComment][color=blue]
>
> So you can simplify t-pretty-c.mkiv:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \setupcolor[ema]
>
> \definestartstop
>    [CSnippetName]
>    [\c!color=darkgoldenrod,
>     \c!style=]

I have not looked into the new verbatim code yet, but I have been thinking
about a similar interface for a new module that uses external programs for
syntax highlighting (sort of a superset of t-vim that will allow one to
use other programs like pgyments, etc.).

Why are you using a C prefix for all environments? Isn't it better to use
a syntax like this:

\startsetups[verbatim:C]
\definestartstop[SnippetName][color=...,style=...]
\definestartstop[string][color=...,style=...]
\stopsetups

and then pass setups=verbatim:C to an appropriate \setup... command. That
will make it easy to share the same syntax highlighting between different
languages.

Aditya

* Re: colors for pretty-printing
@ 2010-12-07 13:48                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-07 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-12-2010 2:29, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Peter Münster wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 06 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
>>>
>>> Concerning the color abstraction patch, one needs just to overload
>>> Ccomment, Cpreproc, Cstring, Ctype, Ckeyword, Cname and Cfuncnbound to
>>> use custom color scheme.
>>
>> You don't need that. There is already a standard interface for color
>> and style
>> configuration. Example:
>>
>> \setupstartstop[CSnippetComment][color=blue]
>>
>> So you can simplify t-pretty-c.mkiv:
>>
>> \unprotect
>>
>> \setupcolor[ema]
>>
>> \definestartstop
>> [CSnippetName]
>> [\c!color=darkgoldenrod,
>> \c!style=]
>
> I have not looked into the new verbatim code yet, but I have been
> thinking about a similar interface for a new module that uses external
> programs for syntax highlighting (sort of a superset of t-vim that will
> allow one to use other programs like pgyments, etc.).

it all boils down hooking in a parser then:

\startluacode
local function parser(s)
   local s = somexternalthing(s)
   -- feedback s
end

visualizers.register("myparser", { parser = parser })
\stopluacode

\starttyping[option=myparser]
\stoptyping

> Why are you using a C prefix for all environments? Isn't it better to
> use a syntax like this:
>
> \startsetups[verbatim:C]
> \definestartstop[SnippetName][color=...,style=...]
> \definestartstop[string][color=...,style=...]
> \stopsetups
>
> and then pass setups=verbatim:C to an appropriate \setup... command.
> That will make it easy to share the same syntax highlighting between
> different languages.

it's hard to come up with common names for characteristics for all those
languages but at some point we can have a set predefined as default

btw, startstop can inherit (now):

\definestartstop
     [MetapostSnippet]
     [DefaultSnippet]

etc so there is no need for setups

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-12-07 17:57                       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-12-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 7-12-2010 2:29, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> You don't need that. There is already a standard interface for color
>>> and style
>>> configuration. Example:
>>>
>>> \setupstartstop[CSnippetComment][color=blue]
>>>
>>> So you can simplify t-pretty-c.mkiv:
>>>
>>> \unprotect
>>>
>>> \setupcolor[ema]
>>>
>>> \definestartstop
>>> [CSnippetName]
>>> [\c!color=darkgoldenrod,
>>> \c!style=]
>>
>> I have not looked into the new verbatim code yet, but I have been
>> thinking about a similar interface for a new module that uses external
>> programs for syntax highlighting (sort of a superset of t-vim that will
>> allow one to use other programs like pgyments, etc.).
>
> it all boils down hooking in a parser then:
>
> \startluacode
> local function parser(s)
>  local s = somexternalthing(s)
>  -- feedback s
> end
>
> visualizers.register("myparser", { parser = parser })
> \stopluacode
>
> \starttyping[option=myparser]
> \stoptyping

Thanks for the explanation. But, I am not too keen to write parsers on my
own when I can easily borrow existing ones.

>> Why are you using a C prefix for all environments? Isn't it better to
>> use a syntax like this:
>>
>> \startsetups[verbatim:C]
>> \definestartstop[SnippetName][color=...,style=...]
>> \definestartstop[string][color=...,style=...]
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> and then pass setups=verbatim:C to an appropriate \setup... command.
>> That will make it easy to share the same syntax highlighting between
>> different languages.
>
> it's hard to come up with common names for characteristics for all those
> languages

But it does allow you to choose a "color scheme" for pretty printing. This
is similar to how most editors choose color schemes.

> but at some point we can have a set predefined as default
>
> btw, startstop can inherit (now):
>
> \definestartstop
>    [MetapostSnippet]
>    [DefaultSnippet]
>
> etc so there is no need for setups

Setups have an advantage that one does not pollute the cs names. After
all, \DefaultSnippet is not useful outside the pretty printing region.

An alternative could be to use a namsespace in define in all definitions,
e.g.,

\definestartstop[visualizer::Snippet]

On a related note, does it make sense to add foregroundcolor and
foregroupdstyle keys to \definebar? (Then, bars will be an appropriate and
versatile mechanism to define syntax highlighting regions).

Aditya

* Re: colors for pretty-printing
@ 2010-12-07 19:30                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-12-2010 6:57, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. But, I am not too keen to write parsers on
> my own when I can easily borrow existing ones.

sure, but a simple one can be:

function myparser(str)
   .. call your prog do do something with str and return the result
end

> But it does allow you to choose a "color scheme" for pretty printing.
> This is similar to how most editors choose color schemes.

sure, but my experience is that there are easily 10-15 different
categories and naming them right is somewhat tricky

> On a related note, does it make sense to add foregroundcolor and
> foregroupdstyle keys to \definebar? (Then, bars will be an appropriate
> and versatile mechanism to define syntax highlighting regions).

maybe

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-12-07 20:35                   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> You don't need that. There is already a standard interface for color and style
> configuration. Example:
>
> \setupstartstop[CSnippetComment][color=blue]
>
> So you can simplify t-pretty-c.mkiv:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \setupcolor[ema]
>
> \definestartstop
>     [CSnippetName]
>     [\c!color=darkgoldenrod,
>      \c!style=]
>
> and so on...

OK, but anyway, I have to protect the color names (to prevent darkred
redefinition for example ;) )… So, I have made the choice to use
Csomething and it is not annoying as soon as the source color names are
kept…

Cheers

Renaud

* Re: colors for pretty-printing
@ 2010-12-07 21:45                     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-07 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 07 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> > So you can simplify t-pretty-c.mkiv:
> >
> > \unprotect
> >
> > \setupcolor[ema]
> >
> > \definestartstop
> >     [CSnippetName]
> >     [\c!color=darkgoldenrod,
> >      \c!style=]
> >
> > and so on...
> >
> OK, but anyway, I have to protect the color names (to prevent darkred
> redefinition for example ;) )

I still don't understand. Where do you need to redefine darkred?
Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-12-08  5:22                           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-12-08  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 7-12-2010 6:57, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the explanation. But, I am not too keen to write parsers on
>> my own when I can easily borrow existing ones.
>
> sure, but a simple one can be:
>
> function myparser(str)
>  .. call your prog do do something with str and return the result
> end

OK. This sounds much easier than writing my own wrappers. I will try
to port the t-vim module to use the new code.

Aditya

* Re: colors for pretty-printing
@ 2010-12-08 20:13                       ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-08 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I need to not redefine.

Quoting Hans: "maybe you should protect the color names as for instance
redefining darkred might not be the intention"

In fact, I just need to find unique names for my colors to not overload
the existing ones…

Renaud

@ 2010-12-10 10:47                         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-10 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 08 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> In fact, I just need to find unique names for my colors to not overload
> the existing ones…

\doifcolorelse{new funny color}
              {Error: funny color already exists!}
              {\definecolor[new funny color][...]}

With \setupcolor[ema] or \setupcolor[ema, x11, xwi] there are already a lot of
predefined colors, so I don't think that you need new color definitions in the
module.

Peter

--

@ 2010-12-10 10:54                           ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-10 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Ok but then why did you define a specific color palet?

local function color_init()
    color = 0
    local def_colors = -- \setupcolor[ema] introduces new line...
        "\\definecolor [darkred]       [r=.545098]" ..
        "\\definecolor [orchid]        [r=.854902,g=.439216,b=.839216]" ..
        "\\definecolor [rosybrown]     [r=.737255,g=.560784,b=.560784]" ..
        "\\definecolor [forestgreen]   [r=.133333,g=.545098,b=.133333]" ..
…

Renaud

@ 2010-12-10 11:11                             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-12-10 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 10 2010, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Ok but then why did you define a specific color palet?
>
> local function color_init()
>     color = 0
>     local def_colors = -- \setupcolor[ema] introduces new line...

The comment says it: \setupcolor[ema] introduces new line and that's annoying
when you do inline typing: bla bla \typeC{int main(){}} bla bla

The \definecolor[] lines (dirty workaround) were just copied from
colo-ema.tex.

The problem with the pretty-c.lua was, that color_init() was called at every
\typeC{} or \startC.

In your t-pretty-c.mkiv you can use \setupcolor[ema] without problems.

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-12-10 11:28                               ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2010-12-10 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)