* first-setup.sh
@ 2012-06-08 16:40 Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-06-08 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

after a lot of confusion I discovered that first-setup.sh is not Andy-proof. If there is a broken internet connection, the update lua process works and pushes the rsync error message very quickly out of the terminal. I propose to change the rsync line to

rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin . || { echo "Cannot reach the repository"; exit 1; }

Andy

P.S. Someone already did the same to the ruby error message, it is copied a second time at the end.

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2012-06-08 16:47 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-08 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Andy Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after a lot of confusion I discovered that first-setup.sh is not Andy-proof. If there is a broken internet connection, the update lua process works and pushes the rsync error message very quickly out of the terminal. I propose to change the rsync line to
>
> rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin . || { echo "Cannot reach the repository"; exit 1; }

Thank you, that makes sense, I'll change it.

But I believe that some similar safeguards might be needed in the lua
script (there is a slight chance that this would go through and the
calls in lua script wouldn't).

Mojca

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2012-06-08 16:54   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-08 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Andy Thomas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> after a lot of confusion I discovered that first-setup.sh is not Andy-proof. If there is a broken internet connection, the update lua process works and pushes the rsync error message very quickly out of the terminal. I propose to change the rsync line to
>>
>> rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin . || { echo "Cannot reach the repository"; exit 1; }
>
> Thank you, that makes sense, I'll change it.
>
> But I believe that some similar safeguards might be needed in the lua
> script (there is a slight chance that this would go through and the
> calls in lua script wouldn't).

Also, if the file doesn't exist on the server (if you change a letter
in path or if platform would be removed from supported one for
example), it doesn't stop. I didn't try to investigate if there is an
easy way around that.

Also keep in mind that users need to update the original script
(currently still called first-setup.sh) manually.

Mojca

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2012-06-08 18:16     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-06-08 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Also keep in mind that users need to update the original script
> (currently still called first-setup.sh) manually.

FWIW, I updated the PKGBUILD for arch linux:

Aditya

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2012-06-08 21:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-6-2012 18:54, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Andy Thomas wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> after a lot of confusion I discovered that first-setup.sh is not Andy-proof. If there is a broken internet connection, the update lua process works and pushes the rsync error message very quickly out of the terminal. I propose to change the rsync line to
>>>
>>> rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin . || { echo "Cannot reach the repository"; exit 1; }
>>
>> Thank you, that makes sense, I'll change it.
>>
>> But I believe that some similar safeguards might be needed in the lua
>> script (there is a slight chance that this would go through and the
>> calls in lua script wouldn't).
>
> Also, if the file doesn't exist on the server (if you change a letter
> in path or if platform would be removed from supported one for
> example), it doesn't stop. I didn't try to investigate if there is an
> easy way around that.
>
> Also keep in mind that users need to update the original script
> (currently still called first-setup.sh) manually.

Maybe this is then the right time to do the renaming:

fetch-context

or so, as an update is not a first

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-02 22:04         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-06-02 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 2-6-2010 11:35, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> You may try again with --context=experimental as a temporary solution.
>>
>> Mojca,
>>
>> I just tried this (sorry, came home only now), and now I get a version of
>> 2010.06.02 which isn't even announced on the pragma site... So let's hope
>> that Hans talks some sense into his servers and everything goes back to
>> normal! Thanks for your swift reaction.
>
> ah .. that's interesting .. it's because mojca now syncs with an internal
> machine
Also beta download from
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/download-2.htm
works ok now

--
luigi

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-02 21:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-02 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-6-2010 11:35, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> You may try again with --context=experimental as a temporary solution.
>
> Mojca,
>
> I just tried this (sorry, came home only now), and now I get a version of 2010.06.02 which isn't even announced on the pragma site... So let's hope that Hans talks some sense into his servers and everything goes back to normal! Thanks for your swift reaction.

ah .. that's interesting .. it's because mojca now syncs with an
internal machine

i hope that this versions works ok as i'm in the middle of some changes
in the luatools/mtxrun pair as wel as format generation (experimenting a
bit with stubs as the existing code dates back from 2007 or so) ..

the code in this version is definitely not for texlive

so best treat it as a real beta (there will be another beta later this
week)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-02 21:35     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-06-02 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> You may try again with --context=experimental as a temporary solution.

Mojca,

I just tried this (sorry, came home only now), and now I get a version of 2010.06.02 which isn't even announced on the pragma site... So let's hope that Hans talks some sense into his servers and everything goes back to normal! Thanks for your swift reaction.

All best

Thomas

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-02 13:47     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-06-02 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> As long as the server reports
>
>     > wget http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip
>     HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden

Looks like Hans' new NAS also considers working with context a
security risk. :)

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-02 13:43   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-06-02 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas,

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:20, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:49, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi all, esp. Mojca,
>>
>> I don't know if anything changed recently, but first-setup.sh doesn't fetch
>> the latest beta for me anymore, even when I feed it the "--context=beta"
>> switch. At first, I thought it was a glitch, but I have now tried on 3
>> different computers, and after running first-setup.sh, I always get
>>
>> MTXrun | main context file:
>> /Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
>> MTXrun | current version: 2010.05.24 13:05
>
> Interesting. Hans has changed configuration of his rsync server. I
> have noticed that while fetching docs, but didn't think about the fact
> that this has influenced fetching of the latest context as well.

You may try again with --context=experimental as a temporary solution.

I have updated & fixed the scripts on server, so everything should
(hopefully) work fine after Hans fixes the server (except that
kfreebsd-amd64 will probably break until the next beta comes out). As
long as the server reports

    > wget http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden

with both HTTP and RSYNC access, there's not much I can do (except for
temporary renaming experimental to beta which I don't particularly
like to do).

Mojca

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-01 11:20 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-06-01 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:49, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all, esp. Mojca,
>
> I don't know if anything changed recently, but first-setup.sh doesn't fetch
> the latest beta for me anymore, even when I feed it the "--context=beta"
> switch. At first, I thought it was a glitch, but I have now tried on 3
> different computers, and after running first-setup.sh, I always get
>
> MTXrun | main context file:
> /Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
> MTXrun | current version: 2010.05.24 13:05

You can always check if something is wrong on "your computer" or on
server by taking a look at
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/context/beta/tex/context/base/
and checking the version there. It seems that this version is exactly
the same as on server, so it's a problem on our server.

> even though the beta version 2010.05.27 has been available for a while. Am I
> missing something, or has something changed?

Interesting. Hans has changed configuration of his rsync server. I
have noticed that while fetching docs, but didn't think about the fact
that this has influenced fetching of the latest context as well.

Hans has sent me another address for rsync, but that one is empty.
Hans, I need the name of rsync server now (may be sent off-list) ...

Mojca

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-01 11:10 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-06-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Hi all, esp. Mojca,
>
> I don't know if anything changed recently, but first-setup.sh doesn't fetch
> the latest beta for me anymore, even when I feed it the "--context=beta"
> switch. At first, I thought it was a glitch, but I have now tried on 3
> different computers, and after running first-setup.sh, I always get
>
> MTXrun | main context file:
> /Users/tas/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
> MTXrun | current version: 2010.05.24 13:05

confirmed in my linux 32bit box

--
luigi

* first-setup.sh
@ 2010-06-01 10:49 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-06-01 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-05-22 12:21 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-22 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Please, could you check mtx-update.lua.

This should be fixed now. Hans, thanks a lot.

Mojca

* Re: first-setup.sh
@ 2010-05-21 15:48 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-21 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 16:28, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Please, could you check mtx-update.lua, line 376. I'm found it
> suspicious that the line
>                    command = string.format("%s -tgo --chmod=a+x
> %s/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/%s.lua %s/texmf-%s/bin/%s", bin,
> texroot, script, texroot, platform, script)
> don't contain contextgarden source ('url' variable, 'bin' contains
> 'rsync' program).

These two lines are there just to make sure that the proper version of
luatools and mtxrun are copied to bin. The files come from existing
texmf-context and are copied to texmf-platform/bin/luatools (or
mtxrun).

Mojca

* first-setup.sh
@ 2010-05-21 14:28 Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-05-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Please, could you check mtx-update.lua, line 376. I'm found it
suspicious that the line
                    command = string.format("%s -tgo --chmod=a+x
%s/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/%s.lua %s/texmf-%s/bin/%s", bin,
texroot, script, texroot, platform, script)
don't contain contextgarden source ('url' variable, 'bin' contains
'rsync' program).

mtx-update.lua time stamp:
2010-05-19

---