* Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22  9:23 Martin Fechner
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Martin Fechner @ 2012-06-22  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey list,

does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.

Best regards,

Martin

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22  9:32 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-22  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-6-2012 11:23, Martin Fechner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.

There will be a talk at the ntg meeting:

http://www.ntg.nl/bijeen/bijeen49.html

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 10:05 ` S Barmeier
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-06-22 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/22/2012 06:23 PM, Martin Fechner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Martin

It is hard to imagine that there is only one usable font for the
devanagari script. Have you looked at
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Devanagari.html for example? Ligatures
are an essential feature of devanagari, so I expect there is no font
which doesn't support ligatures.

I'd be interested to see whether you manage to successfully use
devanagari with context. (I vaguely remember a mailing list posting that
devanagari is not supported...?)

Severin

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 10:27   ` Martin Fechner
From: Martin Fechner @ 2012-06-22 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 22.06.2012 12:05, schrieb S Barmeier:
> On 06/22/2012 06:23 PM, Martin Fechner wrote:
>> Hey list,
>>
>> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
>> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
>> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Martin
>
> It is hard to imagine that there is only one usable font for the
> devanagari script. Have you looked at
> http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Devanagari.html for example? Ligatures
> are an essential feature of devanagari, so I expect there is no font
> which doesn't support ligatures.
>
> I'd be interested to see whether you manage to successfully use
> devanagari with context. (I vaguely remember a mailing list posting that
> devanagari is not supported...?)
>
> Severin

Thank you for the link. We will have a look at this. Firstly we need the
font for a web publication, but maybe a use with context will follow.

Martin

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 10:35   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-22 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-6-2012 12:05, S Barmeier wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 06:23 PM, Martin Fechner wrote:
>> Hey list,
>>
>> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
>> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
>> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Martin
>
> It is hard to imagine that there is only one usable font for the
> devanagari script. Have you looked at
> http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Devanagari.html for example? Ligatures
> are an essential feature of devanagari, so I expect there is no font
> which doesn't support ligatures.
>
> I'd be interested to see whether you manage to successfully use
> devanagari with context. (I vaguely remember a mailing list posting that
> devanagari is not supported...?)

Specs .. examples ... etc needed .. some day I'll have a go at it (need
time and a good excuse).

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 10:40   ` Martin Fechner
From: Martin Fechner @ 2012-06-22 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.06.2012 11:32, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 22-6-2012 11:23, Martin Fechner wrote:
>> Hey list,
>>
>> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
>> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
>> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.
>
> There will be a talk at the ntg meeting:
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/bijeen/bijeen49.html

>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

And I thought the use of sanskrit were a very special subject.. The talk
about xml-databases also sounds very interesting. Will there be a
summary of the talks?

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 11:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-22 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-6-2012 12:40, Martin Fechner wrote:
> Am 22.06.2012 11:32, schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 22-6-2012 11:23, Martin Fechner wrote:
>>> Hey list,
>>>
>>> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
>>> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
>>> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.
>>
>> There will be a talk at the ntg meeting:
>>
>> http://www.ntg.nl/bijeen/bijeen49.html

>>                                            Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>                Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>>      tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl
>>

> And I thought the use of sanskrit were a very special subject.. The talk
> about xml-databases also sounds very interesting. Will there be a
> summary of the talks?

maybe articles in the ntg maps at some point

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 11:22     ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-06-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/22/2012 07:27 PM, Martin Fechner wrote:
> Am 22.06.2012 12:05, schrieb S Barmeier:
>> On 06/22/2012 06:23 PM, Martin Fechner wrote:
>>> Hey list,
>>>
>>> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
>>> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with ligatures
>>> etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> It is hard to imagine that there is only one usable font for the
>> devanagari script. Have you looked at
>> http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Devanagari.html for example? Ligatures
>> are an essential feature of devanagari, so I expect there is no font
>> which doesn't support ligatures.
>>
>> I'd be interested to see whether you manage to successfully use
>> devanagari with context. (I vaguely remember a mailing list posting that
>> devanagari is not supported...?)
>>
>> Severin
>
> Thank you for the link. We will have a look at this. Firstly we need the
> font for a web publication, but maybe a use with context will follow.
>
> Martin

If you can't find a nice font for devanagari, you could always switch to
another script ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phrase_sanskrit.png

Tibetan looks funky.

Severin

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 18:07 ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2012-06-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:23:41 +0200
Martin Fechner <fechner@bbaw.de> wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> does anybody know an useable font for sanskrit writings another then
> sanskrit2003.ttf? It is preferred to have the same range (with
> ligatures etc.) as the sanskrit2003.ttf.

Of course, there are others beside Sanskrit2003 which BTW, I like very
much.

Siddhanta from Mihail Bayaryn which IIRC is a successor of his Chandas
font is a very nice one;
http://svayambhava.blogspot.de/p/siddhanta-devanagariunicode-open-type.html

There are 1 or 2 more good Sanskrit fonts. But I would have to search
for them.

--
Manfred

* Re: Sanskrit font
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-06-22 19:56 ` Daniel Stender
From: Daniel Stender @ 2012-06-22 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

A beautiful Devanagari font also is Santipur, cf:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2372616/SantipurOT.ttf

Greetings,
Daniel Stender

--
http://www.danielstender.com/granthinam/
GPG key ID: 1654BD9C

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 20:24   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-06-22 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd be interested to see whether you manage to successfully use
> devanagari with context. (I vaguely remember a mailing list posting that
> devanagari is not supported...?)

ConTeXt MkIV does not have support for indic opentype features, but indic
scripts work fine with xetex backend.

Aditya

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-22 23:36     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-06-22 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:24:12PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> >I'd be interested to see whether you manage to successfully use
> >devanagari with context. (I vaguely remember a mailing list posting that
> >devanagari is not supported...?)
>
> ConTeXt MkIV does not have support for indic opentype features, but
> indic scripts work fine with xetex backend.

Sans ICU bugs...

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: Sanskrit font
@ 2012-06-25 10:13   ` Martin Fechner
From: Martin Fechner @ 2012-06-25 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 22.06.2012 20:07, schrieb Manfred Lotz:
> Siddhanta from Mihail Bayaryn which IIRC is a successor of his Chandas
> font is a very nice one;
> http://svayambhava.blogspot.de/p/siddhanta-devanagariunicode-open-type.html

Thank you all for the links.

Greetings, Martin