* Problem with Google Font 'Vollkorn'
@ 2021-11-12 17:23 Michael Urban via ntg-context
From: Michael Urban via ntg-context @ 2021-11-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the Google free font ‘Vollkorn’ (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Vollkorn) into an appropriate directory and ran
 mtxrun --script font --reload
all went well, and the Vollkorn truetype fonts show up in the output of mtxrun --script font --list --all   .

However, the following input:

\starttext
\definedfont[name:vollkornregular*default at 14pt]
\input tufte
\stoptext

fails, with the following output:
system       > ConTeXt  ver: 2020.03.10 14:44 MKIV beta  fmt: 2020.6.8  int: english/english

fonts           > otf loading > loading 'MYPATH/texmf/fonts/truetype/google/Vollkorn-Regular.ttf', hash 'vollkorn-regular'
fonts           > otf loading > loading failed due to read error
fonts           > defining > forced type 'ttf' of 'Vollkorn-Regular' not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'Vollkorn-Regular' is not found using lookup 'name'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'Vollkorn-Regular', loading aborted

This is on Mac OSX.   I don't recall this problem coming up before.  Evidently the difficulty is that it is expecting an otf font and is confounded by the truetype file.

The ConTeXt font system always bewilders me, but this time it's pretty specific.  Help?

* Re: Problem with Google Font 'Vollkorn'
@ 2021-11-12 17:57 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-11-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 12.11.2021 um 18:23 schrieb Michael Urban via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> I downloaded the Google free font ‘Vollkorn’ (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Vollkorn) into an appropriate directory and ran
> mtxrun --script font --reload
> all went well, and the Vollkorn truetype fonts show up in the output of mtxrun --script font --list --all   .
>
> However, the following input:
>
> \starttext
> \definedfont[name:vollkornregular*default at 14pt]
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> fails, with the following output:
> system       > ConTeXt  ver: 2020.03.10 14:44 MKIV beta  fmt: 2020.6.8  int: english/english
>
> fonts           > otf loading > loading 'MYPATH/texmf/fonts/truetype/google/Vollkorn-Regular.ttf', hash 'vollkorn-regular'
> fonts           > otf loading > loading failed due to read error
> fonts           > defining > forced type 'ttf' of 'Vollkorn-Regular' not found
> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'Vollkorn-Regular' is not found using lookup 'name'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font 'Vollkorn-Regular', loading aborted
>
> This is on Mac OSX.   I don't recall this problem coming up before.  Evidently the difficulty is that it is expecting an otf font and is confounded by the truetype file.
>
> The ConTeXt font system always bewilders me, but this time it's pretty specific.  Help?

For me it works on MacOS 10.14 and ConTeXt LMTX 2021.10.28.

Does your list look like mine?:

$ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=vollkorn
identifier                familyname   fontname                  filename                       subfont   instances

vollkornblack             vollkorn     vollkornblack             Vollkorn-Black.ttf
vollkornblackitalic       vollkorn     vollkornblackitalic       Vollkorn-BlackItalic.ttf
vollkornbold              vollkorn     vollkornbold              Vollkorn-Bold.ttf
vollkornbolditalic        vollkorn     vollkornbolditalic        Vollkorn-BoldItalic.ttf
vollkornextrabold         vollkorn     vollkornextrabold         Vollkorn-ExtraBold.ttf
vollkornextrabolditalic   vollkorn     vollkornextrabolditalic   Vollkorn-ExtraBoldItalic.ttf
vollkornitalic            vollkorn     vollkornitalic            Vollkorn-Italic.ttf
vollkornmedium            vollkorn     vollkornmedium            Vollkorn-Medium.ttf
vollkornmediumitalic      vollkorn     vollkornmediumitalic      Vollkorn-MediumItalic.ttf
vollkornnormal            vollkorn     vollkornitalic            Vollkorn-Italic.ttf
vollkornregular           vollkorn     vollkornregular           Vollkorn-Regular.ttf
vollkornsemibold          vollkorn     vollkornsemibold          Vollkorn-SemiBold.ttf
vollkornsemibolditalic    vollkorn     vollkornsemibolditalic    Vollkorn-SemiBoldItalic.ttf

Hraban

* Re: Problem with Google Font 'Vollkorn'
@ 2021-11-12 18:12 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-11-12 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Urban via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 11/12/21 6:23 PM, Michael Urban via ntg-context wrote:
> I downloaded the Google free font ‘Vollkorn’ (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Vollkorn) into an appropriate directory and ran
>  mtxrun --script font --reload

Hi Michael,

I would rather wipe out the cache and start again:

 mtxrun --script cache --erase && mtxrun --generate

I had problems reloading fonts on Linux, so I always run that after
updating ConTeXt or adding a new font.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo