* Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-03 11:12 Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-03 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a few SVG graphics of multiple megabytes. They contain a lot of
objects (text/shapes). All graphics except for one gets properly
included in my ConTeXt document. In place of the failed one there the
gray placeholder box with 'status unknown'.

I noticed that ConTeXt uses Inkscape to convert these SVGs to PDF. Is
there a way in which I can increase the timeout for this conversion
process? That is just a guess, maybe the problem is due to something else.

Best,
Sander

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-03 11:25 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-06-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–06–03 Sander Maijers wrote:

> I have a few SVG graphics of multiple megabytes. They contain a lot
> of objects (text/shapes). All graphics except for one gets properly
> included in my ConTeXt document. In place of the failed one there
> the gray placeholder box with 'status unknown'.

Maybe inkscape failed to convert the file. Is a corresponding
m_k_i_v_filename.svg.pdf file generated?

Marco

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-03 13:46   ` Sietse Brouwer
       [not found]     ` <00ab01ce607a$e55f2ea0$b01d8be0$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-03 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hoi Sander,

Marco Patzer wrote:
> Maybe inkscape failed to convert the file. Is a corresponding
> m_k_i_v_filename.svg.pdf file generated?

It might be informative to try running the Inkscape conversion
manually. This is the command line ConTeXT uses:

    inkscape "%oldname%" --export-dpi=600 -A "%newname%"

(The quotation marks are literal: they are there in case the filename
has spaces, e.g.)

Good luck!

Sietse

@ 2013-06-03 16:53     ` honyk
       [not found]     ` <00ab01ce607a$e55f2ea0$b01d8be0$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: honyk @ 2013-06-03 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sander Maijers wrote:
> >> I have a few SVG graphics of multiple megabytes. They contain a lot
> >> of objects (text/shapes). All graphics except for one gets properly
> >> included in my ConTeXt document.
>
> Marco Patzer wrote:
> > Maybe inkscape failed to convert the file. Is a corresponding
> > m_k_i_v_filename.svg.pdf file generated?
>
> It might be informative to try running the Inkscape conversion
> manually. This is the command line ConTeXT uses:
>
>     inkscape "%oldname%" --export-dpi=600 -A "%newname%"
>
> (The quotation marks are literal: they are there in case the filename
> has spaces, e.g.)

If processing in Inkscape fails, you can try another tool: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/rasterizer.html

It can (despite its name) transcode SVG to vector PDF:

java -Xmx2G -jar batik-rasterizer.jar -m application/pdf image.svg

In that case you have to transcode your files first and reference PDF variants in your input.

Jan

@ 2013-06-04 17:35       ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The inkscape command works okay from the command line. Should I upload
the SVG and manual PDF output somewhere?

@ 2013-06-05 10:38         ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-05 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sander wrote:
> The inkscape command works okay from the command line.

Thanks for checking this! Hmm, so Inkscape is not the problem... Does
ConTeXt still fail to include the picture when you make a minimal
document containing only some text and the problematic SVG?

> Should I upload the SVG and manual PDF output somewhere?

Yes, if you could, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sietse

@ 2013-06-05 12:58           ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-05 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05-06-13 12:38, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> Sander wrote:
>> The inkscape command works okay from the command line.
> Thanks for checking this! Hmm, so Inkscape is not the problem... Does
> ConTeXt still fail to include the picture when you make a minimal
> document containing only some text and the problematic SVG?
>
>> Should I upload the SVG and manual PDF output somewhere?
> Yes, if you could, that would be appreciated.
Here is the PDF converted by hand from the SVG:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BynsKFwk6jYJQlMxR3paNW0zS2s/edit?usp=sharing

I can upload the SVG in the evening, if you need it. I guess that is not
useful because Inkscape can convert the SVG to PDF, it is just that
ConTeXt does not include the graphic.

@ 2013-06-05 13:01             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Sander Maijers <S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>wrote:

> On 05-06-13 12:38, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
>
>> Sander wrote:
>>
>>> The inkscape command works okay from the command line.
>>>
>> Thanks for checking this! Hmm, so Inkscape is not the problem... Does
>> ConTeXt still fail to include the picture when you make a minimal
>> document containing only some text and the problematic SVG?
>>
>>  Should I upload the SVG and manual PDF output somewhere?
>>>
>> Yes, if you could, that would be appreciated.
>>
> Here is the PDF converted by hand from the SVG:
> https://docs.google.com/file/**d/**0BynsKFwk6jYJQlMxR3paNW0zS2s/**
> edit?usp=sharing<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BynsKFwk6jYJQlMxR3paNW0zS2s/edit?usp=sharing>

it says
"Sorry, we are unable to generate a view of the document at this time.
Please try again later."

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-05 13:06               ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Luigi,

On 05-06-13 15:01, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Sander Maijers
> <S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl <mailto:S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>> wrote:
>
>     On 05-06-13 12:38, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
>
>         Sander wrote:
>
>             The inkscape command works okay from the command line.
>
>         Thanks for checking this! Hmm, so Inkscape is not the
>         problem... Does
>         ConTeXt still fail to include the picture when you make a minimal
>         document containing only some text and the problematic SVG?
>
>             Should I upload the SVG and manual PDF output somewhere?
>
>         Yes, if you could, that would be appreciated.
>
>     Here is the PDF converted by hand from the SVG:
>     https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BynsKFwk6jYJQlMxR3paNW0zS2s/edit?usp=sharing
>
> it says
> "Sorry, we are unable to generate a view of the document at this time.
> Please try again later."
>

> --
> luigi
>
> __

That is a preview window that only works for certain file types. You can
download the file, for example by the menu bar in the top left corner.
(I am not in the position to upload the file somewhere else now, so
that's why I am using Google Drive.)

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-05 13:09                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-05 13:13                   ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-05 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05-06-13 15:09, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Sander Maijers
> <S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl <mailto:S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Luigi,
>     That is a preview window that only works for certain file types.
>     You can download the file, for example by the menu bar in the top
>     left corner. (I am not in the position to upload the file
>     somewhere else now, so that's why I am using Google Drive.)
>
> yes, but it says 0 bytes.
Excuse me. The file became truncated when I was renaming it and the OS
froze, it indeed is 0 bytes now.
This evening I will try upload it again.

@ 2013-06-05 13:15                     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Sander Maijers <S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>wrote:

> Excuse me. The file became truncated when I was renaming it and the OS
> froze, it indeed is 0 bytes now.
> This evening I will try upload it again.

can you also post a 7z compressed  version of the SVG ?

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-08 10:04                       ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-08 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I almost forgot to upload the graphics.

Here is the SVG:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19254345/scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg

SVG (7z compressed):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19254345/scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.7z

PDF:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19254345/scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.pdf

Best,
Sander

On 05-06-13 15:15, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Sander Maijers
> <S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl <mailto:S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>> wrote:
>

>     Excuse me. The file became truncated when I was renaming it and the
>     OS froze, it indeed is 0 bytes now.
>     This evening I will try upload it again.
>
> can you also post a 7z compressed  version of the SVG ?
>

> --
> luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-09 22:21                         ` Sander Maijers
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-09 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Is anybody still interested to look into this issue?
I need the graph for my thesis, which is due soon.

@ 2013-06-09 23:04                           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-09 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Sander Maijers

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-10  0:25                           ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-10  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm afraid I can't help, as this seems to be a PDF problem and I know
nothing about the PDF format.

ConTeXt correctly produces the converted file
`m_k_i_v_scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.pdf`, and that PDF displays
correctly when I open it standalone. But when I try to include the PDF
with
    \includepages[m_k_i_v_scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.pdf]
I get a blank page. The size of the document does increase from 30 kB
to 266 kB, so the image PDF does get included, but somehow it doesn't
display. I haven't a clue why.

I hope somebody else can help you with this, or find a workaround. Good luck!

Cheers,
Sietse

@ 2013-06-10  8:26                             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-10  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:04 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Sander Maijers <
> S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl> wrote:
>
>> Is anybody still interested to look into this issue?
>> I need the graph for my thesis, which is due soon.
>>
>> tomorrow morning
>

> \starttext
\externalfigure[scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg][height=\textheight,width=\textwidth]
\externalfigure[scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.pdf][height=\textheight,width=\textwidth]
\stoptext

$ inkscape --version
Inkscape 0.48.3.1 r9886 (Jan 29 2013)

it's ok here on linux ubuntu 12.10 x86_64

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-10  9:08                           ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-06-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–06–10 Sander Maijers wrote:

> Is anybody still interested to look into this issue?
> I need the graph for my thesis, which is due soon.

It works here.

\starttext
  \externalfigure
    [scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL]
    [width=\textwidth]
\stoptext

context version: 2013.06.07 12:25
Inkscape 0.48.3.1 r9886

Marco

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-10  9:23                               ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-10  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sander wrote:
> All graphics except for one gets properly included in my ConTeXt document.

Since it's just the one graphic: Luigi, perhaps you could send Sander
a copy of the .pdf you produced that didn't show problems?

Luigi wrote:
> $ inkscape --version
> Inkscape 0.48.3.1 r9886 (Jan 29 2013)
>
> it's ok here on linux ubuntu 12.10 x86_64

I've got Inkscape 0.48.1 r9760 (Mar 22 2011) here on Linux Mint 11
(based on Natty), and that doesn't work. So perhaps it's a problem
with Inkscape or the PDF library it uses. Sander, which version of
Inkscape do you use?

Cheers,
Sietse

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-10  9:28                                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-10  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-10 10:26                             ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-10 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks for your tests. I do not get the PDF intermediate file, I can
only produce it manually.

Inkscape 0.48.4 r9939 (May 20 2013)
ConTeXt 2013.06.07 12:25

I used this code:

\placefigure
     [force]
     [scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL_baseline]
     {Scatterplot of WER vs. perplexity (baseline)}
     {\externalfigure[/tmp/scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.svg][factor=fit]}

I use it in a big document with all kinds of floats, and this is the
last of a 3 graphs with 'force' placement on a row. Also I want to use
A3 landscape page dimensions, but now it is fit to an A4 portrait page
and that does not work either.

@ 2013-06-10 10:37                               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Sander Maijers
<S.N.Maijers@student.ru.nl>wrote:

> Thanks for your tests. I do not get the PDF intermediate file, I can only
> produce it manually.
>
> Inkscape 0.48.4 r9939 (May 20 2013)
> ConTeXt 2013.06.07 12:25
>
> I used this code:
>
> \placefigure
>     [force]
>     [scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL_**baseline]
>     {Scatterplot of WER vs. perplexity (baseline)}
>     {\externalfigure[/tmp/**scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.**
> svg][factor=fit]}
>
> I use it in a big document with all kinds of floats, and this is the last
> of a 3 graphs with 'force' placement on a row. Also I want to use A3
> landscape page dimensions, but now it is fit to an A4 portrait page and
> that does not work either.
>

> you should have
m_k_i_v_scatterplot_of_WER_vs_PPL.svg.pdf
somewhere

--
luigi

* Re: Including a large SVG image
@ 2013-06-15 14:01                                 ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2013-06-15 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

My question was in error ... All the time I overlooked the double .svg
in the argument to \externalfigure for my last (this) plot. Sorry for
the fuss!