* orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-16  7:46 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-16  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have a document that contains a long poem and although it contains the
following code:

\setuplayout[setups=*lessstrict]
\startsetups[*lessstrict]
    \setup[reset]
    \widowpenalty=10000
    \clubpenalty=10000
    \brokenpenalty=10000
\stopsetups

I'm afraid that I get widow lines in the lines environment.

Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-16 19:03 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-16 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.06.2013 um 09:46 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

> Dear list,
>
> I have a document that contains a long poem and although it contains the
> following code:
>
> \setuplayout[setups=*lessstrict]
> \startsetups[*lessstrict]
>    \setup[reset]
>    \widowpenalty=10000
>    \clubpenalty=10000
>    \brokenpenalty=10000
> \stopsetups
>
> I'm afraid that I get widow lines in the lines environment.
>
> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?

1. Don’t use * in your setups names because names starting with an asterisk are system modes.

2. To load the defaults settings you have to use \setups[*reset] which needs the asterisks because it’s a system mode.

3. The settings doesn’t help because in the lines environment each line is a separate paragraph which makes \widowpenalty useless here.

Wolfgang

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17  0:36 ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-17  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/16/2013 3:46 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I'm afraid that I get widow lines in the lines environment.
>
> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?
It's a bit ugly, but if the poem consists of individual stanzas, you can
put each stanza in an non-bordered frame.

e.g.:
% Set up the lines environment to put the contained lines in a frame so
they are kept together
\setuplines[indenting={yes,small,even},       <--  whatever options you want
    before={\startframedtext[frame=off]},
    after=\stopframedtext]

% Then wrap your stanzas in individual line environments
           \startlines
             A maiden fair was seated there,
             Her hair of fine-spun gold.
             Azure eyes so clear and bright,
             So wondrous to behold.
           \stoplines

A frame will never be split across pages.

BTW this "trick"is on the wiki on the "Verse" page.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland Michigan

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17  2:29   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-06-17  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013, Bill Meahan wrote:

> On 6/16/2013 3:46 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>

>> I'm afraid that I get widow lines in the lines environment.
>>
>> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?
> It's a bit ugly, but if the poem consists of individual stanzas, you can put
> each stanza in an non-bordered frame.
>
> e.g.:
> % Set up the lines environment to put the contained lines in a frame so they
> are kept together
> \setuplines[indenting={yes,small,even},       <--  whatever options you want
>   before={\startframedtext[frame=off]},
>   after=\stopframedtext]
>
> % Then wrap your stanzas in individual line environments
>          \startlines
>            A maiden fair was seated there,
>            Her hair of fine-spun gold.
>            Azure eyes so clear and bright,
>            So wondrous to behold.
>          \stoplines
>
> A frame will never be split across pages.
>
> BTW this "trick"is on the wiki on the "Verse" page.

If the poem consists of stanzas with fixed number of lines, say 4, then
you could also try:

\setuplines[inbetween={\testpage[4]\blank}]

This will ensure that a stanza does not break across pages.

Aditya

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17  5:39   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-17  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.06.2013 um 02:36 schrieb Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>:

> On 6/16/2013 3:46 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>

>> I'm afraid that I get widow lines in the lines environment.
>>
>> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?
> It's a bit ugly, but if the poem consists of individual stanzas, you can put each stanza in an non-bordered frame.
>
> e.g.:
> % Set up the lines environment to put the contained lines in a frame so they are kept together
> \setuplines[indenting={yes,small,even},       <--  whatever options you want
>   before={\startframedtext[frame=off]},
>   after=\stopframedtext]
>
> % Then wrap your stanzas in individual line environments
>          \startlines
>            A maiden fair was seated there,
>            Her hair of fine-spun gold.
>            Azure eyes so clear and bright,
>            So wondrous to behold.
>          \stoplines
>
> A frame will never be split across pages.
>
> BTW this "trick"is on the wiki on the "Verse" page.

You don’t need any tricks to prevent page breaks in a lines environment because
\setuplines[option=packed] already does it.

Wolfgang

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17 13:50     ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/17/2013 1:39 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>   "Verse" page.
> You don’t need any tricks to prevent page breaks in a lines environment because
> \setuplines[option=packed] already does it.
>
> Wolfgang

You still need to make each stanza an individual lines environment,
don't you?

--
Bill Meahan
Westland Michigan

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17 17:18   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-17 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16/06/13 21:03, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 16.06.2013 um 09:46 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>> [...]
>> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines
>> environment?
>
> 1. Don’t use * in your setups names because names starting with an
> asterisk are system modes.
>
> 2. To load the defaults settings you have to use \setups[*reset]
> which needs the asterisks because it’s a system mode.
>
> 3.The settings doesn’t help because in the lines environment each
> line is a separate paragraph which makes \widowpenalty useless here.

Thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.

So, according to 3, there is no way to prevent widow or orphan lines in
a line environment, isn't it?

Many thanks for your help again,

Pablo
--

@ 2013-06-17 17:23     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-17 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/06/13 07:39, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 17.06.2013 um 02:36 schrieb Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>:
>> On 6/16/2013 3:46 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>>[...]
>>> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?
>> It's a bit ugly, but if the poem consists of individual stanzas,
>> you can put each stanza in an non-bordered frame.
>> [...]
>> A frame will never be split across pages.
>>
>> BTW this "trick"is on the wiki on the "Verse" page.
>
> You don’t need any tricks to prevent page breaks in a lines environment because
> \setuplines[option=packed] already does it.

Many thanks for your replies, Bill, Aditya and Wolfgang.

I don't want to prevent page breaks in lines environment, I only want to
prevent orphan and widow lines in this environment too (which seems to
be impossible, if I didn't get it wrong).

Pablo
--

@ 2013-06-17 20:28   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16/06/13 21:03, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 16.06.2013 um 09:46 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>> [...]
>> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?
> [...]
> 3. The settings doesn’t help because in the lines environment each
> line is a separate paragraph which makes \widowpenalty useless here.

Wolfgang,

it just came to my mind that a workaround to avoid orphans and widows
would be not to use the lines environment and add new lines, such as in:

First verse\\
second verse\\
third verse\\
fourth verse.

It seems to work in my example. Does it have another unwanted consequences?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2013-06-17 21:02       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-17 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.06.2013 um 15:50 schrieb Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>:

> On 6/17/2013 1:39 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>  "Verse" page.
>> You don’t need any tricks to prevent page breaks in a lines environment because
>> \setuplines[option=packed] already does it.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> You still need to make each stanza an individual lines environment, don't you?

You can change the definition of the inbetween key (default: \blank)
which is used when you add a blank line in the environment. With the
preference keyword for \blank you can allow a page break.

\setuplayout[lines=8]

\starttext \showframe

\startlines[option=packed,inbetween={\blank[preference,line]}]
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
Line 4

Line 5
Line 6
Line 7
Line 8
\stoplines

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17 21:05     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-17 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.06.2013 um 19:18 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

> On 16/06/13 21:03, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 16.06.2013 um 09:46 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>>> [...]
>>> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines
>>> environment?
>>
>> 1. Don’t use * in your setups names because names starting with an
>> asterisk are system modes.
>>
>> 2. To load the defaults settings you have to use \setups[*reset]
>> which needs the asterisks because it’s a system mode.
>>
>> 3.The settings doesn’t help because in the lines environment each
>> line is a separate paragraph which makes \widowpenalty useless here.
>
> Thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.
>
> So, according to 3, there is no way to prevent widow or orphan lines in
> a line environment, isn't it?

Not with the current implementation of the environment because it doesn’t
know how many lines are there. With a Lua based solution it would be simple
to add a mechanism to prevent a page break at a certain region because
the needed information are available.

\startluacode

userdata              = userdata              or { }
userdata.linescontent = userdata.linescontent or { }

local linescontent = userdata.linescontent

function linescontent.process()
	local lines = string.splitlines(buffers.getcontent("linescontent"))
	context.begingroup()
	for i=1,#lines do
		local l = lines[i]
		context("%s",l)
		context.par()
	end
	context.endgroup()
end

\stopluacode

\def\startlinescontent
  {\grabbufferdata[linescontent][startlinescontent][stoplinescontent]}

\def\stoplinescontent
  {\ctxlua{userdata.linescontent.process()}}

\starttext

\startlinescontent
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
\stoplinescontent

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: orphans and widows in poems
@ 2013-06-17 21:21       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Am 17.06.2013 um 19:18 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

>>> 1. Don’t use * in your setups names because names starting with an
>>> asterisk are system modes.
>>>
>>> 2. To load the defaults settings you have to use \setups[*reset]
>>> which needs the asterisks because it’s a system mode.
>>>
>>> 3.The settings doesn’t help because in the lines environment each
>>> line is a separate paragraph which makes \widowpenalty useless here.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.
>>
>> So, according to 3, there is no way to prevent widow or orphan lines in
>> a line environment, isn't it?
>
> Not with the current implementation of the environment because it doesn’t
> know how many lines are there. With a Lua based solution it would be simple
> to add a mechanism to prevent a page break at a certain region because
> the needed information are available.

yes, some of that is on the agenda (not to hard but as usual it take a
bit of thinking / experimenting to get an interface)

basically it's a variant of \setpenalties (the plural \widowpenalties etc)

> \startluacode
>
> userdata              = userdata              or { }
> userdata.linescontent = userdata.linescontent or { }
>
> local linescontent = userdata.linescontent
>
> function linescontent.process()
> 	local lines = string.splitlines(buffers.getcontent("linescontent"))
> 	context.begingroup()
> 	for i=1,#lines do
> 		local l = lines[i]
> 		context("%s",l)
> 		context.par()
> 	end
> 	context.endgroup()
> end
>
> \stopluacode
>
> \def\startlinescontent
>    {\grabbufferdata[linescontent][startlinescontent][stoplinescontent]}
>
> \def\stoplinescontent
>    {\ctxlua{userdata.linescontent.process()}}
>
> \starttext
>
> \startlinescontent
> One
> Two