* (forw) Fraktur fonts
@ 2013-06-17  8:48 Rudolf Bahr
From: Rudolf Bahr @ 2013-06-17  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

----- Forwarded message from Rudolf Bahr <quasi@quasi.de> -----

From: Rudolf Bahr <quasi@quasi.de>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Fraktur fonts
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:28:12 +0200

Hello list members,

an only-a-few-days-fan of Context writes to you for the first time. I'm pleased
to have found a program closer to TeX and younger than LaTeX. In the last years
I used LaTeX for a bigger family project with good success, but experienced some
difficulties in arranging minipages containing changing text and pictures
especially in series letters.
So I'm trying to do that using Context. Of course I cannot change hundreds of
files from LaTeX to Context, but newer tasks I'd like to do in Context.

There is a first question I have concerning Fraktur fonts which I'd like to use
typesetting a poem:

I found a 2-mail-discussion in your 2002-archiv concerning those fonts. But I
have to admit that I don't understand what is written there. So, I tried simply

\definefont[Gedichtfont][Fraktur]
\Gedichtfont{... poem ...}

both with "context" and "texexec", but I don't achieve the desired result.
"texexec" displays a font somehow similar to Fraktur, but not a very nice one and
much to broad; and it seems to have no different "s" (one inner-word and one word-end
or syllable-end "s") as needed in Fraktur. And, my "texexec" doesn't know anything
about umlauts and sharp s.
Whereas my "context" (translating the same program), dosn't know Fraktur, but knows
umlauts.
So I'm always using both of them, enjoying the partial success of both, though
I read somewhere, it should be better using "texexec".

Well, a very nice Fraktur font is Yannis Haralambous' "yfrak" in his "yfont"
series, the nicest one I've found until now.

Could you please help me to formulate the correct commands to use a "nice" Fraktur
font, be it "yfrak" or another one? But please remember, Context is still rather
confusing to me. So, it should be simple enough.

Best regards,
Ruhmwolf

On 6/17/2013 10:48 AM, Rudolf Bahr wrote:

> Could you please help me to formulate the correct commands to use a "nice" Fraktur
> font, be it "yfrak" or another one? But please remember, Context is still rather
> confusing to me. So, it should be simple enough.

it depends a bit on how you want to use it

- occasional font switch
- whole document

in the last case a list of what you want to use is needed: regular,
bold, italic(if used?), bold italic (search for 'typescripts' on the
wiki); for occasional usage search for 'definefont'

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE