* [***SPAM***] Can't find recommended tool
@ 2013-06-22 14:41 hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-06-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am trying to install a font so that Context cn use it.  I am  using the simplefont module and have a ttf that I'd like to use.

There is a lot of conflicting information out about to do this and som is outdated.   As for ContTeX I did find a nice article, but it says to use the program texfont, "which ships with ConTex", but I do not have any such file.

texfont --ve=sil --co=gentium --makepath --install

I am using the TexLive version.   Is there any simple method to get this font so that it can be used by ConTex MKIV ?

* Re: [***SPAM***] Can't find recommended tool
@ 2013-06-22 14:53 ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-22 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/13 16:41, hwitloc@gmail.com wrote:

> I am trying to install a font so that Context cn use it.  I am  using
> the simplefont module and have a ttf that I'd like to use.
>
> There is a lot of conflicting information out about to do this and
> som is outdated.   As for ContTeX I did find a nice article, but it
> says to use the program texfont, "which ships with ConTex", but I do
> not have any such file.
>
> texfont --ve=sil --co=gentium --makepath --install
>

> I am using the TexLive version.   Is there any simple method to get
> this font so that it can be used by ConTex MKIV ?

Yes, install your font (I assume is Gentium) on your operative system.

Run "mtxrun --script fonts --reload". (Not sure it is required, but I
need this each time I install a font.)

And (assuming you installed Gentium), here is the sample code:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[Gentium]
\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Compile it with "context gentium.tex" (change file name accordingly) and
it should work.

If not, please try to describe what happened.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: [***SPAM***] Can't find recommended tool
@ 2013-06-23  6:09   ` d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2013-06-23  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pable,
  thanks, but it doesn't work. so easily.  mxtrun only see what is in the TeX directory tree and uses that font database.  My question is how to register the font to that system so that mtxrun can find it.   How does one do that with a ttf font file?

Thanks

Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
> On 22/06/13 16:41, hwitloc@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > I am trying to install a font so that Context cn use it.  I am  using
> > the simplefont module and have a ttf that I'd like to use.
> >
> > There is a lot of conflicting information out about to do this and
> > som is outdated.   As for ContTeX I did find a nice article, but it
> > says to use the program texfont, "which ships with ConTex", but I do
> > not have any such file.
> >
> > texfont --ve=sil --co=gentium --makepath --install
> >

> > I am using the TexLive version.   Is there any simple method to get
> > this font so that it can be used by ConTex MKIV ?
>
> Yes, install your font (I assume is Gentium) on your operative system.
>
> Run "mtxrun --script fonts --reload". (Not sure it is required, but I
> need this each time I install a font.)
>
> And (assuming you installed Gentium), here is the sample code:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[Gentium]
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> Compile it with "context gentium.tex" (change file name accordingly) and
> it should work.
>
> If not, please try to describe what happened.
>
> I hope it helps,
>

> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Can't find recommended tool
@ 2013-06-23 12:58     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/06/13 08:09, d.henman wrote:

> Pable,
> thanks, but it doesn't work. so easily. mxtrun only see what is in
> the TeX directory tree and uses that font database. My question is
> how to register the font to that system so that mtxrun can find it.
> How does one do that with a ttf font file?
>
> Thanks

The variable is (I'm assuming you use Windows [I don't know whether this
have changed in versions above XP]):

	OSFONTDIR="c:/windows/fonts//"

If I'm not wrong, you should add this into your texmf.cnf file (invoke
it with "kpsewhich texmf.cnf").

Rebuild the font cache ("mtxrun --script fonts --reload") and it should
work.

I hope this helps,

Pablo
--

@ 2013-06-23 20:18       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-23 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/23/2013 2:58 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> On 23/06/13 08:09, d.henman wrote:
>>
>> Pable,
>> thanks, but it doesn't work. so easily. mxtrun only see what is in
>> the TeX directory tree and uses that font database. My question is
>> how to register the font to that system so that mtxrun can find it.
>> How does one do that with a ttf font file?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> The variable is (I'm assuming you use Windows [I don't know whether this
> have changed in versions above XP]):
>
> 	OSFONTDIR="c:/windows/fonts//"
>
> If I'm not wrong, you should add this into your texmf.cnf file (invoke
> it with "kpsewhich texmf.cnf").
>
> Rebuild the font cache ("mtxrun --script fonts --reload") and it should
> work.
>
> I hope this helps,

mkiv does not use kpse and texmf.cnf but texmfcnf.lua

also, OSFONTDIR is already set

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE