* LuaTeX-plain File Database Problem
@ 2014-05-15 20:54 Aíre Funvake
From: Aíre Funvake @ 2014-05-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Never felt so incompetent in my life -- just cannot get LuaTeX to
find fonts or `*.tex` files for use with `\input <filename>`, or
`font\xxx = <font-or-filename>`. Even though, these commands were
executed (all I could find):

   mktexlsr
   mtxrun --script base --generate
   luatools --generate
   context --generate
   mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
   mtxrun --script fonts --udpate --simple

Tried putting files in (in the roots and subdirectories):

   ~/texmf
   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-project
   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-local
   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-fonts

Checked if the file could be found:

   luatools --find-file xxxx.tex   <--- finds it
   luatools --find-file xxx.otf    <--- finds it
   mtxrun --locate xxxx.tex        <--- finds it
   mtxrun --locate xxx.otf         <--- finds it
   kpsewhich/where                 <--- finds only if in `~/texmf`

In .tex file (even when files are in `~/texmf` dir):

   \input xxxx  or xxxx.tex        <--- no luck
   \font\myfont = name:xxxx        <--- no luck
   \font\myfont = file:xxxx.otf    <--- no luck

Sorry, but reading and searching for hours did not bring any solu-
tion. Not sure if there is a configuration file like `texmf.cnf` or
 the `context.cnf` that must be modified, or and environment var-
iable like `TEXMFHOME` (default seems to be `~/texmf`, and that's
OK, if only it would only work).

Sorry to spam this list with questions which may seem very
fundamental to you. Hope to be able to reciprocate sometime.
What am I missing?

Thank you kindly,
Aíre.

* Re: LuaTeX-plain File Database Problem
@ 2014-05-15 21:07 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2014-05-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Aíre Funvake wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Never felt so incompetent in my life -- just cannot get LuaTeX to
> find fonts or `*.tex` files for use with `\input <filename>`, or
> `font\xxx = <font-or-filename>`. Even though, these commands were
> executed (all I could find):
>
>   mktexlsr
>   mtxrun --script base --generate
>   luatools --generate
>   context --generate
>   mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
>   mtxrun --script fonts --udpate --simple
>
> Tried putting files in (in the roots and subdirectories):
>
>   ~/texmf
>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-project
>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-local
>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-fonts
>
> Checked if the file could be found:
>
>   luatools --find-file xxxx.tex   <--- finds it
>   luatools --find-file xxx.otf    <--- finds it
>   mtxrun --locate xxxx.tex        <--- finds it
>   mtxrun --locate xxx.otf         <--- finds it
>   kpsewhich/where                 <--- finds only if in `~/texmf`
>
> In .tex file (even when files are in `~/texmf` dir):
>
>   \input xxxx  or xxxx.tex        <--- no luck
>   \font\myfont = name:xxxx        <--- no luck
>   \font\myfont = file:xxxx.otf    <--- no luck
>
> Sorry, but reading and searching for hours did not bring any solu-
> tion. Not sure if there is a configuration file like `texmf.cnf` or
> the `context.cnf` that must be modified, or and environment var-
> iable like `TEXMFHOME` (default seems to be `~/texmf`, and that's
> OK, if only it would only work).
>
> Sorry to spam this list with questions which may seem very
> fundamental to you. Hope to be able to reciprocate sometime.
> What am I missing?

Read about TDS (TeX Directory Structure).

You need to put files in $TEXMF/tex/plain/ subdirectory for Plain format
to find it, or in $TEXMF/tex/generic/ subdirectory for all macro packages
(plain, latex, context) to find it.

Aditya

* Re: LuaTeX-plain File Database Problem
@ 2014-05-15 21:23   ` Aíre Funvake
From: Aíre Funvake @ 2014-05-15 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu May 15 23:07:40 2014, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2014, Aíre Funvake wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Never felt so incompetent in my life -- just cannot get LuaTeX to
>> find fonts or `*.tex` files for use with `\input <filename>`, or
>> `font\xxx = <font-or-filename>`. Even though, these commands were
>> executed (all I could find):
>>
>>   mktexlsr
>>   mtxrun --script base --generate
>>   luatools --generate
>>   context --generate
>>   mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
>>   mtxrun --script fonts --udpate --simple
>>
>> Tried putting files in (in the roots and subdirectories):
>>
>>   ~/texmf
>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-project
>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-local
>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-fonts
>>
>> Checked if the file could be found:
>>
>>   luatools --find-file xxxx.tex   <--- finds it
>>   luatools --find-file xxx.otf    <--- finds it
>>   mtxrun --locate xxxx.tex        <--- finds it
>>   mtxrun --locate xxx.otf         <--- finds it
>>   kpsewhich/where                 <--- finds only if in `~/texmf`
>>
>> In .tex file (even when files are in `~/texmf` dir):
>>
>>   \input xxxx  or xxxx.tex        <--- no luck
>>   \font\myfont = name:xxxx        <--- no luck
>>   \font\myfont = file:xxxx.otf    <--- no luck
>>
>> Sorry, but reading and searching for hours did not bring any solu-
>> tion. Not sure if there is a configuration file like `texmf.cnf` or
>> the `context.cnf` that must be modified, or and environment var-
>> iable like `TEXMFHOME` (default seems to be `~/texmf`, and that's
>> OK, if only it would only work).
>>
>> Sorry to spam this list with questions which may seem very
>> fundamental to you. Hope to be able to reciprocate sometime.
>> What am I missing?
>
> Read about TDS (TeX Directory Structure).
>
> You need to put files in $TEXMF/tex/plain/ subdirectory for Plain
> format to find it, or in $TEXMF/tex/generic/ subdirectory for all
> macro packages (plain, latex, context) to find it.
>
> Aditya

Thank you, will re-read it forthwith, must have missed something.
It just feels wrong to put re-usable project files inside the
distribution tree. Still feel like an idiot, if not more so.

Can anyone enlighten me then as to the purpose of `$HOME/texmf`,
`$TEXMF/tex/texmf-local`, `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts`, etc.,
considering they are all, for example, configured in the file:
`$TEXMF/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf`? Which I assumed incorrectly
it seems, the name resolvers would use.

Thanks a lot again, I realise this must be beneath you all,

@ 2014-05-16 20:56     ` Aíre Funvake
From: Aíre Funvake @ 2014-05-16 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu May 15 23:23:07 2014, Aíre Funvake wrote:
> On Thu May 15 23:07:40 2014, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 May 2014, Aíre Funvake wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Never felt so incompetent in my life -- just cannot get LuaTeX to
>>> find fonts or `*.tex` files for use with `\input <filename>`, or
>>> `font\xxx = <font-or-filename>`. Even though, these commands were
>>> executed (all I could find):
>>>
>>>   mktexlsr
>>>   mtxrun --script base --generate
>>>   luatools --generate
>>>   context --generate
>>>   mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
>>>   mtxrun --script fonts --udpate --simple
>>>
>>> Tried putting files in (in the roots and subdirectories):
>>>
>>>   ~/texmf
>>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-project
>>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-local
>>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-fonts
>>>
>>> Checked if the file could be found:
>>>
>>>   luatools --find-file xxxx.tex   <--- finds it
>>>   luatools --find-file xxx.otf    <--- finds it
>>>   mtxrun --locate xxxx.tex        <--- finds it
>>>   mtxrun --locate xxx.otf         <--- finds it
>>>   kpsewhich/where                 <--- finds only if in `~/texmf`
>>>
>>> In .tex file (even when files are in `~/texmf` dir):
>>>
>>>   \input xxxx  or xxxx.tex        <--- no luck
>>>   \font\myfont = name:xxxx        <--- no luck
>>>   \font\myfont = file:xxxx.otf    <--- no luck
>>>
>>> Sorry, but reading and searching for hours did not bring any solu-
>>> tion. Not sure if there is a configuration file like `texmf.cnf` or
>>> the `context.cnf` that must be modified, or and environment var-
>>> iable like `TEXMFHOME` (default seems to be `~/texmf`, and that's
>>> OK, if only it would only work).
>>>
>>> Sorry to spam this list with questions which may seem very
>>> fundamental to you. Hope to be able to reciprocate sometime.
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Read about TDS (TeX Directory Structure).
>>
>> You need to put files in $TEXMF/tex/plain/ subdirectory for Plain
>> format to find it, or in $TEXMF/tex/generic/ subdirectory for all
>> macro packages (plain, latex, context) to find it.
>>
>> Aditya
>>
> Thank you, will re-read it forthwith, must have missed something.
> It just feels wrong to put re-usable project files inside the
> distribution tree. Still feel like an idiot, if not more so.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me then as to the purpose of `$HOME/texmf`,
> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-local`, `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts`, etc.,
> considering they are all, for example, configured in the file:
> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf`? Which I assumed incorrectly
> it seems, the name resolvers would use.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/177459/learning-plain-tex-via-contexts-luatex-plain-format

Maybe helpful to someone.

* Re: LuaTeX-plain File Database Problem
@ 2014-05-16 21:51       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-05-16 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/16/2014 10:56 PM, Aíre Funvake wrote:
> On Thu May 15 23:23:07 2014, Aíre Funvake wrote:

>>> Read about TDS (TeX Directory Structure).
>>>
>>> You need to put files in $TEXMF/tex/plain/ subdirectory for Plain
>>> format to find it, or in $TEXMF/tex/generic/ subdirectory for all
>>> macro packages (plain, latex, context) to find it.
>>>
>>> Aditya
>>>
>> Thank you, will re-read it forthwith, must have missed something.
>> It just feels wrong to put re-usable project files inside the
>> distribution tree. Still feel like an idiot, if not more so.

project specific files go into

<texroot>/texmf-project/tex/context/user

additional fonts into

<texroot>/texmf-fonts/fonts/data

these are in the tds tree but never overwritten

>> Can anyone enlighten me then as to the purpose of `$HOME/texmf`,
>> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-local`, `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts`, etc.,
>> considering they are all, for example, configured in the file:
>> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf`? Which I assumed incorrectly
>> it seems, the name resolvers would use.
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/177459/learning-plain-tex-via-contexts-luatex-plain-format

context mkiv doesn't use texmf.cnf at all but texmfcnf.lua instead (and
also has its own file management subsystem)

already right from the start context had process management with
'texmfstart + texexec' (mkii) and 'mtxrun + context' (mkiv)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-05-16 22:01         ` Aíre Funvake
From: Aíre Funvake @ 2014-05-16 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri May 16 23:51:08 2014, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/16/2014 10:56 PM, Aíre Funvake wrote:

>>> Thank you, will re-read it forthwith, must have missed something.
>>> It just feels wrong to put re-usable project files inside the
>>> distribution tree. Still feel like an idiot, if not more so.
>
> project specific files go into
>
> <texroot>/texmf-project/tex/context/user
>
> additional fonts into
>
> <texroot>/texmf-fonts/fonts/data
>
> these are in the tds tree but never overwritten
>
>>> Can anyone enlighten me then as to the purpose of `$HOME/texmf`,
>>> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-local`, `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts`, etc.,
>>> considering they are all, for example, configured in the file:
>>> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf`? Which I assumed incorrectly
>>> it seems, the name resolvers would use.
>>
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/177459/learning-plain-tex-via-contexts-luatex-plain-format
>>

> context mkiv doesn't use texmf.cnf at all but texmfcnf.lua instead
> (and also has its own file management subsystem)
>
> already right from the start context had process management with
> 'texmfstart + texexec' (mkii) and 'mtxrun + context' (mkiv)
>
> Hans

Thank you very much. Does this apply to LuaTeX-plain as well
(`luatex.exe --fmt luatex-plain`)? LuaTeX works fine if I set
 `$TEXMFHOME` (MacOSX) or `%TEXMFHOME%` (Windows) environment
variables, or put files in default location `$HOME/texmf` (Mac).
But otherwise, I seem to have problems. Will try the to use
the `texmf-project/..` and `texmf-fonts/..` directories though.

* Re: LuaTeX-plain File Database Problem
@ 2014-05-16 22:17           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-05-16 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/17/2014 12:01 AM, Aíre Funvake wrote:
> On Fri May 16 23:51:08 2014, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> project specific files go into
>>
>> <texroot>/texmf-project/tex/context/user
>>
>> additional fonts into
>>
>> <texroot>/texmf-fonts/fonts/data
>>
>> these are in the tds tree but never overwritten

>>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/177459/learning-plain-tex-via-contexts-luatex-plain-format
>>>

>> context mkiv doesn't use texmf.cnf at all but texmfcnf.lua instead
>> (and also has its own file management subsystem)
>>
>> already right from the start context had process management with
>> 'texmfstart + texexec' (mkii) and 'mtxrun + context' (mkiv)
>>
>> Hans
>
> Thank you very much. Does this apply to LuaTeX-plain as well
> (`luatex.exe --fmt luatex-plain`)? LuaTeX works fine if I set
>   `$TEXMFHOME` (MacOSX) or `%TEXMFHOME%` (Windows) environment
> variables, or put files in default location `$HOME/texmf` (Mac).
> But otherwise, I seem to have problems. Will try the to use
> the `texmf-project/..` and `texmf-fonts/..` directories though.

no, the plain variant uses kpse and texmf.cnf

(I never use texmfhome or hometexmf or whatever it has evolved through
over the years, and, as texmf, texmf-local, texmf-dist have changed
order and usage over time as well, I also never put stuff in there.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE