* Force a hyphenation
@ 2022-03-16 15:48 Willi Egger via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Willi Egger via ntg-context @ 2022-03-16 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

at the moment I am dealing with a German text. Although I have \mainlanguage[de] in the preamble the word 'des Eiweißes' is hyphenated as 'des Eiwei-ßes'. Of course this should be 'des Eiweis-ses'.

How can I make sure that ConTeXt is hyphenating this corerctly?

Kind regards
Willi

* Re: Force a hyphenation
@ 2022-03-16 16:00 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-03-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/16/2022 4:48 PM, Willi Egger via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at the moment I am dealing with a German text. Although I have \mainlanguage[de] in the preamble the word 'des Eiweißes' is hyphenated as 'des Eiwei-ßes'. Of course this should be 'des Eiweis-ses'.
>
> How can I make sure that ConTeXt is hyphenating this corerctly?

\startexceptions[de]
     Eiwei{s-}{s}{ß}es
\stopexceptions

\mainlanguage[de]

\starttext
     \hsize 1mm Eiweißes
\stoptext

Hans

* Re: Force a hyphenation
@ 2022-03-16 16:17 ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2022-03-16 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi,

I must admit that after the reform some 20 years ago, I'm no longer
certain about German rules. But I think that in fact, according to the
new rules, ß is no longer hyphenated the way you suggest. Duden § 164.3:
"Ein einzelner Konsonantenbuchstabe im Wortinneren kommt in der Regel
auf die neue Zeile; von mehreren Konsonantbuchstaben trennt man nur den
letzten ab.
Zum Beispiel
[…]
     Grü-ße, hei-ßen

So Eiwei-ßes may in fact be correct... But I assume that Arthur has some
authoritative answer to this question.

Best

Thomas

On 3/16/22 16:48, Willi Egger via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at the moment I am dealing with a German text. Although I have \mainlanguage[de] in the preamble the word 'des Eiweißes' is hyphenated as 'des Eiwei-ßes'. Of course this should be 'des Eiweis-ses'.
>
> How can I make sure that ConTeXt is hyphenating this corerctly?
>
> Kind regards
> Willi

* Re: Force a hyphenation
@ 2022-03-16 16:29   ` Arthur Rosendahl via ntg-context
From: Arthur Rosendahl via ntg-context @ 2022-03-16 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 05:17:46PM +0100, Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context wrote:
> So Eiwei-ßes may in fact be correct... But I assume that Arthur has some
> authoritative answer to this question.

  I’ll refer to the German hyphenation pattern list as an authority
(https://lists.dante.de/mailman/listinfo/trennmuster) :-)  But I do
believe that you, Thomas, are right and that Eiwei-ßes is correct (while
Ei-weißes is much better anyway).  It is in fact logical: ‘ß’ in the new
spelling means that the preceding sound is long, hence it has to be
spelt that way always, not “analysed” as ‘ss’.  If you were to hyphenate
Straße as Stras-se, it would indicate a different pronunciation.

	Best,

		Arthur

* Re: Force a hyphenation
@ 2022-03-16 16:39 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-03-16 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willi Egger via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 16.03.22 um 16:48 schrieb Willi Egger via ntg-context:
> Hi,
>
> at the moment I am dealing with a German text. Although I have \mainlanguage[de] in the preamble the word 'des Eiweißes' is hyphenated as 'des Eiwei-ßes'. Of course this should be 'des Eiweis-ses'.
>
> How can I make sure that ConTeXt is hyphenating this corerctly?

Sorry, Willi, but that hyphenation is correct, and your suggestion was
also wrong in the previous iterations of German orthography. Only ck was
changed to k-k; hyphenation of ß a s-s was only allowed if you replaced
ß by ss anyway (like in Switzerland).

Hraban

* Re: Force a hyphenation
@ 2022-03-17  8:56     ` Willi Egger via ntg-context
From: Willi Egger via ntg-context @ 2022-03-17  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks everybody very much for the explanations. — As I am Swiss, these matters with ß were never correctly understood and my knowledge about hyphenation is old…

Thank you Thomas for pointing me to the Duden-rules. I will check-out the same issue about ck and k-k …

Kind regards

Willi