* new tex toy
@ 2003-10-27 15:41 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-27 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

One of the problems with the texmf tree is to get the right
scripts/documents launched. On linux, runperl/runruby are used for that, on
windows there was runperl.exe which is now irun.exe. Those scripts/apps
work ok under most circumstances but not all (especially not when one has
multiple trees and multiple instances of the tools).

So ... a few weeks ago I made a small tool:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texmfstart.rb           : for those who
have ruby in their path
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texmfstart.exe          : for those who
don't have ruby installed and are on windows
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mtexmfstart.pdf : for those who
are interested

This tool permits things like (on windows): "texmfstart --browser
examplap.pdf" but also calls like: "texmfstart texexec.pl optional
arguments" and alike. Several search strategies are applied (see manual).
The few of you who have seen the integrated context environment (around
scite) already may have used this tool indirectly. I didn't yet test this
new gimmick on linux but will do that asap.

The next thing that will be posted is 'texsync' which will synchronize your
local minimal tex and/or context tree (or part of it, or (part) of the
documentation) with the current distribution. (i'm playing with that right
now).

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* BibTeX question: How to make the .aux file
@ 2003-10-27 19:05 ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2003-10-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

my little project has made good progress, and I must say that reading
the mailings
in this list have become one of the more pleasurable parts of the time
I spend in front of the computer. Thanks!

I have reached the stage that I would like to include citations into my
book,
and I found the bib module at

http://www.elvenkind.com/~taco/bibmod/

I think I added the correct commands to my source files, and I have
even figured out that
I should put the files in the bib module distribution near my own tex
files.

Now, when TeXing the whole thing, I get a dummy citation at the right
place, but no bibliography at the end. This is no miracle, as I didn't
see bibtex running. From my LaTex prehistory, I would have expected
that an .aux file is generated, which isn't. I understand
that I have to run bibtex manually at some point, too.

My layout file contains

\setuppublications[
	numbering=yes,
	sort=author
	]

\setupbibtex
	[database = minbib,
	sort=author
	]

and I have minbib.bbl sitting around as well.

So here my probably stupid question: How do I generate the aux file?

(Running TeXShop on OS X).

Thanks for any hints,

Matthias

* Re: BibTeX question: How to make the .aux file
@ 2003-10-27 19:52   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-10-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:05:58PM -0500, Matthias Weber wrote:
> I have reached the stage that I would like to include citations into my
> book, and I found the bib module at
> http://www.elvenkind.com/~taco/bibmod/
I think this is the latest publicly available version. (I know that
Taco has an improved beta version though.)

> I think I added the correct commands to my source files, and I have
> even figured out that I should put the files in the bib module distribution
> near my own tex files.
Well, I've put them into $HOME/texmf/{tex/context/user,bibtex/bst}, as
long as TeX can find them any place is ok.

> Now, when TeXing the whole thing, I get a dummy citation at the right
> place, but no bibliography at the end. This is no miracle, as I didn't
> see bibtex running. From my LaTex prehistory, I would have expected
> that an .aux file is generated, which isn't.
This should be the case: tex should create a \jobname.aux which simply
causes a 'dump' of the the whole .bib file into .bbl

> I understand that I have to run bibtex manually at some point, too.
Yes, texexec --once file; bibtex file.aux; texexec file
should work.

> My layout file contains
> \setuppublications[numbering=yes,sort=author]
This chooses the bst file ...

> \setupbibtex[database=minbib,sort=author]
And this should create a .aux file which asks for minbib.bib.

Sorry, I don't have any hint other than: It works for me:
 \usemodule[bib]
 \setupbibtex[database=thesis] % use thesis.bib
 \setuppublications[alternative=aps] % you don't have the 'aps' choice, yet
 \setuppublications[numbering=yes,refcommand=num]

Tobias

* Re: BibTeX question: How to make the .aux file
@ 2003-10-28 10:15     ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found]       ` <DA2B2D4D-0932-11D8-8A6C-0003930E01F4@cam.ac.uk>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2003-10-28 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:52:18 +0100, Tobias wrote:

> > and I found the bib module at http://www.elvenkind.com/~taco/bibmod/
> I think this is the latest publicly available version.

Yes, it is. Creating the aux file should just 'work'. Could it be that TeXShop
deletes the intermediate straight away, perhaps believing it to be unnecessary?
If that is not it, I do not know what else it could be.
Perhaps you need a TeXShop/OS-X expert?

Good luck, Taco

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: BibTeX question: How to make the .aux file
@ 2003-10-28 10:36       ` Martin Moncrieffe
       [not found]       ` <DA2B2D4D-0932-11D8-8A6C-0003930E01F4@cam.ac.uk>
From: Martin Moncrieffe @ 2003-10-28 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

TeXShop and bib-module work fine here.

__martin

On Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003, at 10:15 Europe/London, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Yes, it is. Creating the aux file should just 'work'. Could it be that
> TeXShop
> deletes the intermediate straight away, perhaps believing it to be
> unnecessary?
> If that is not it, I do not know what else it could be.
> Perhaps you need a TeXShop/OS-X expert?

* Re: BibTeX question: How to make the .aux file (solved)
@ 2003-10-29  1:35     ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2003-10-29  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to everybody for looking into this,
the solution to the riddle was that I has actually

\setupbibtex[database = minbib, sort = author]

with extra blanks. After removing them, things work.
Beginner's problems...

Matthias

* ANN: updated bib-module
       [not found]           ` <234F9695-1217-11D8-AAA5-0003930E01F4@cam.ac.uk>
@ 2003-11-19  9:48             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2003-11-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Martin Moncrieffe

Hi all,

I just uploaded a new version of my bibliograhic module to

	http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/

New in this (update)release:

Support for APS-style citations, DOI's, Oxford comma's and "et.al.".

Of course, there are some bugfixes as well, so everybody who uses
my m-bib module is urged to update ASAP.

Happy TeXing,

Taco

* Re: new tex toy & new manual
@ 2003-12-24  9:44 ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-12-24  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texmfstart.rb
This file seems no longer to be in this location
--
Nigel

> From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:41:18 +0100
> To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
> Subject: [NTG-context] new tex toy
>
> Hi,
>
> One of the problems with the texmf tree is to get the right
> scripts/documents launched. On linux, runperl/runruby are used for that, on
> windows there was runperl.exe which is now irun.exe. Those scripts/apps
> work ok under most circumstances but not all (especially not when one has
> multiple trees and multiple instances of the tools).
>
> So ... a few weeks ago I made a small tool:
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texmfstart.rb           : for those who
> have ruby in their path
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texmfstart.exe          : for those who
> don't have ruby installed and are on windows
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mtexmfstart.pdf : for those who
> are interested
>
> This tool permits things like (on windows): "texmfstart --browser
> examplap.pdf" but also calls like: "texmfstart texexec.pl optional
> arguments" and alike. Several search strategies are applied (see manual).
> The few of you who have seen the integrated context environment (around
> scite) already may have used this tool indirectly. I didn't yet test this
> new gimmick on linux but will do that asap.
>
> The next thing that will be posted is 'texsync' which will synchronize your
> local minimal tex and/or context tree (or part of it, or (part) of the
> documentation) with the current distribution. (i'm playing with that right
> now).
>
> Hans

>                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                      Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: new tex toy & new manual
@ 2003-12-24 10:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-24 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)