* extra hyphen in underscore hyphenation
@ 2022-12-08 11:33 Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-12-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

Dear list,

I have the following sample:

  \startluacode
  function document.addfunnyhyphen(tfmdata)
      local underscore = utf.byte("_")
      local char       = tfmdata.characters[underscore]
      if not char then return end
      tfmdata.characters[0xFE000]   = {
          width    = 0,
          height   = 0,
          depth    = 0,
          commands = {
              { "right", -char.width },
              { "down", char.depth },
              { "slot", 1, underscore },
          }
      }
  end

  utilities.sequencers.appendaction("aftercopyingcharacters",
  "after","document.addfunnyhyphen")
  \stopluacode

  \definehyphenationfeatures
     [underscore]
     [righthyphenchar="FE000]

  \sethyphenationfeatures[underscore]%
  \setuphyphenation[method=traditional]%

  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em, width=4em]
    \hsize\zeropoint\tt
    \hyphenatedword{legibility-legible}
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

In current latest (and in many versions before), I get an extra hyphen
in the next line after the hyphen, such as:

       ity-
       -leg

As far as I can remember, I would say this used to work before (no extra
hyphen was added in the next line.

What am I missing here?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

* Re: extra hyphen in underscore hyphenation
@ 2022-12-08 12:14 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-12-08 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 12/8/2022 12:33 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>    \startluacode
>    function document.addfunnyhyphen(tfmdata)
>        local underscore = utf.byte("_")
>        local char       = tfmdata.characters[underscore]
>        if not char then return end
>        tfmdata.characters[0xFE000]   = {
>            width    = 0,
>            height   = 0,
>            depth    = 0,
>            commands = {
>                { "right", -char.width },
>                { "down", char.depth },
>                { "slot", 1, underscore },
>            }
>        }
>    end
>
>    utilities.sequencers.appendaction("aftercopyingcharacters",
>    "after","document.addfunnyhyphen")
>    \stopluacode
>
>    \definehyphenationfeatures
>       [underscore]
>       [righthyphenchar="FE000]
>
>    \sethyphenationfeatures[underscore]%
>    \setuphyphenation[method=traditional]%
>
>    \starttext
>    \startTEXpage[offset=1em, width=4em]
>      \hsize\zeropoint\tt
>      \hyphenatedword{legibility-legible}
>    \stopTEXpage
>    \stoptext
>
> In current latest (and in many versions before), I get an extra hyphen
> in the next line after the hyphen, such as:
>
>         ity-
>         -leg
>
> As far as I can remember, I would say this used to work before (no extra
> hyphen was added in the next line.
>
> What am I missing here?

\setuplanguage
  [explicitrighthyphenchar=-1]

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: extra hyphen in underscore hyphenation
@ 2022-12-08 14:48   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-12-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 12/8/22 13:14, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 12/8/2022 12:33 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> What am I missing here?
>
> \setuplanguage
>   [explicitrighthyphenchar=-1]

Many thanks for your fast reply, Hans.

I’m afraid it doesn’t work here:

[...]

  \mainlanguage[es]
  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em, width=4em]
    \hsize\zeropoint\tt
    \hyphenatedword{legibility-legible}
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

Results are the same with "\mainlanguage[es]" or "\mainlanguage[nl]".

If "\mainlanguage" is placed after "\setuplanguage", the extra unwanted
hyphen appears.

If "\mainlanguage" is placed before "\setuplanguage", hyphenation for
the second word doesn’t work at all (and the extra unwanted hyphen
appears in my actual document).

I don’t know what I’m missing here and it seems to be a picky issue to
provide a MWE.

@ 2022-12-10 11:17   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-12-10 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 12/8/22 13:14, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> \setuplanguage
>   [explicitrighthyphenchar=-1]

Sorry for insisting, Hans, but many languages (excepting en and uk) seem
nor to recogize this option:

[...]

  \setupinteractionscreen[option=singlesided]
  \starttext
  \doloopoverlist
    {es,en,uk,de,nl,pt,fr,it,deo,da,sv,af,no,nb,pl,cs,sk,hr,sl,fi,et,hu}
  {\mainlanguage[\recursestring]
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em, width=5em]
    \hsize\zeropoint
    \recursestring: \\
    \tt
    \hyphenatedword{legibility-legible}
  \stopTEXpage}
  \stoptext

pt, hr and et don’t break the line at the hyphen. af breaks the line at
the hyphen adding an underscore just below the hyphen.

Either I’m missing something extremely basic, or
"\setuplanguage[explicitrighthyphenchar=-1]" only works for English.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo