* Index formatting difference LMTX and MkIV redux
@ 2020-10-22  1:42 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2020-10-22  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list,

About two months ago (2020-08-26) I described a difference between LMTX
and MkIV in the setting of index registers entries, and more
particularly, in the trimming of text to fit the available width
therein. I have now created a smallish example to demonstrate the problem.

I do notice that the problem is very sensitive to the width settings,
and slight variations in width create different results with both engines.

This ConTeXt input:

    \definepapersize [pinched crown quarto]
                      [width=6.69in,
                       height=9.61in]
    \setuppapersize  [pinched crown quarto]
    \setuplayout     [width=fit,
                       backspace=1.4in,        cutspace=1in,
                       leftmargin=0.65in,      rightmargin=0.65in]

    \setupregister   [index]
                      [n=2, balance=no, maxwidth=4cm]

    \starttext

    \startchapter[title={Index Test}]

    \index{Anonymous+Felix quem faciunt aliena pericula cautum}
    \index{{Diderot, Denis}+Et des boyaux du dernier prêtre, Serrons le
    cou du dernier roi}
    \index{{Dunne, Finley Peter}+Thrust ivrybody, but cut th’ ca-ards}
    \index{Eisenhower+Dwight D.+influence … by the military-industrial
    complex}
    \index{Eisenhower+Dwight D.+plundering, for our own ease and
    convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow}

    \placeindex

    \stopchapter
    \stoptext

produces, with MkIV:

and with LMTX:

The example code shows one other instance as well, in the fourth indexed
entry.

Beside looking uglier, this results in a couple more pages for the same
number of index entries.

As I noted in my first description of the problem, this may not be
unique to register processing, and perhaps it is an issue with
limitatetext or doboundtext, or something else entirely.

--
Rik

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 2737 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: dghjimegjbfianob.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7324 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: clfjogkdikmcolak.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 8934 bytes --]

* Re: Index formatting difference LMTX and MkIV redux
@ 2020-11-17 20:34 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2020-11-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Bump.

This is still a problem. Can anyone acknowledge that the problem exists
outside my own installation? If so, is there a work-around? An explanation?

On 10/21/2020 21:42, Rik Kabel wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> About two months ago (2020-08-26) I described a difference between
> LMTX and MkIV in the setting of index registers entries, and more
> particularly, in the trimming of text to fit the available width
> therein. I have now created a smallish example to demonstrate the problem.
>
> I do notice that the problem is very sensitive to the width settings,
> and slight variations in width create different results with both engines.
>
> This ConTeXt input:
>
>     \definepapersize [pinched crown quarto]
>                      [width=6.69in,
>                       height=9.61in]
>     \setuppapersize  [pinched crown quarto]
>     \setuplayout     [width=fit,
>                       backspace=1.4in,        cutspace=1in,
>                       leftmargin=0.65in,      rightmargin=0.65in]
>
>     \setupregister   [index]
>                      [n=2, balance=no, maxwidth=4cm]
>
>     \starttext
>
>     \startchapter[title={Index Test}]
>
>     \index{Anonymous+Felix quem faciunt aliena pericula cautum}
>     \index{{Diderot, Denis}+Et des boyaux du dernier prêtre, Serrons
>     le cou du dernier roi}
>     \index{{Dunne, Finley Peter}+Thrust ivrybody, but cut th’ ca-ards}
>     \index{Eisenhower+Dwight D.+influence … by the military-industrial
>     complex}
>     \index{Eisenhower+Dwight D.+plundering, for our own ease and
>     convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow}
>
>     \placeindex
>
>     \stopchapter
>     \stoptext
>
> produces, with MkIV:
>
> and with LMTX:
>
> The example code shows one other instance as well, in the fourth
> indexed entry.
>
> Beside looking uglier, this results in a couple more pages for the
> same number of index entries.
>
> As I noted in my first description of the problem, this may not be
> unique to register processing, and perhaps it is an issue with
> limitatetext or doboundtext, or something else entirely.
>
> --
> Rik

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 3379 bytes --]

@ 2020-11-17 21:14   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-11-17 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/17/20 9:34 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> Bump.
>
> This is still a problem. Can anyone acknowledge that the problem exists
> outside my own installation? If so, is there a work-around? An explanation?

Hi Rik,

I can reproduce your problem, but I’m afraid I don’t know the
explanation for this or even a workaround.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Index formatting difference LMTX and MkIV redux
@ 2020-11-18 10:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-11-18 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/17/2020 10:14 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 11/17/20 9:34 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> Bump.
>>
>> This is still a problem. Can anyone acknowledge that the problem exists
>> outside my own installation? If so, is there a work-around? An explanation?
>
> Hi Rik,
>
> I can reproduce your problem, but I’m afraid I don’t know the
> explanation for this or even a workaround.
We have a more accurate limiter so you get one more word (keep in mind
that the ... is part of the width). Then, when being used stretch and
shrink kick in and your '4cm' gives too much space. I'll enable the
features that freezes the spacing to fit the width but even then you
will overflow. So, you need to decrease the 4cm.

Hans