From: Denis Maier via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: <mckaymeister@gmail.com>, <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: denis.maier@unibe.ch
Subject: Re: Help with typesetting footnotes in an HTML document
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 08:05:05 +0000	[thread overview]

Hey Keith,

the code below should get you started. Obviously, the links in the footnotes don't appear as there are no setups for the <a> elements yet.

By the way, where is the HTML coming from? The dual structure for footnotes looks a bit odd and a bit too complicated for me.

\startxmlsetups xml:initialize
\xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{*}{-}
\xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{html|body|p|}{xml:*}

%\xmlsetsetup{#1}{span[@class="data-fnref"]}{xml:footnote} % data-fnref is not a class; also -> the element won't be seen if the parent span is not treated in some way.
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{span[@class="footnote"]}{xml:footnote-wrapper}
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{span[@class="footnote-indirect"]}{xml:footnote}
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{div[@class="footnotes"]}{xml:nothing}

\stopxmlsetups
\xmlregistersetup{xml:initialize}

\startxmlsetups xml:html
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:body
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:p
\xmlflush{#1}\par
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:footnote-wrapper
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:footnote
\footnote
% {\xmlfirst{test}{div[@class="footnotes"]/div/div[@id="\xmlatt{#1}{id}"]}} -> test is not the document name nor the name of the node to be processed>; div/div nesting was wrong; for some reason I can't get it to work with xmlfirst. But \xmlfilter works
{\xmlfilter{\xmldocument}{div[@id='\xmlrefatt{#1}{data-fnref}']/command(xml:test)}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:test
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext

\xmlprocessfile{initialise}{footnoteTest.html}{}

\stoptext