* [NTG-context] margin bigger than backspace pushes it outside the edge
       [not found] <665689904.3396226.1702204245529.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2023-12-10 10:30 ` Jigé via ntg-context
From: Jigé via ntg-context @ 2023-12-10 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I've been struggling with basic page layout.

The left margin extends outside the left edge of the page.
Example (from the wiki):

\setuppapersize[A4][A4] % this is the default and may be omitted
\setuplayout[backspace=20mm,
    width=110mm,
    topspace=20mm,
    header=0mm,
    footer=0mm,
    height=250mm]
\starttext
\showlayout
\stoptext

Another example:

\setuppapersize[A5][A4]
\setuplayout[location=middle]
\usemodule[ipsum]
\starttext
\showframe
\ipsum
\stoptext

Thanks,
Jean-Guillaume

[-- Attachment #2: mise_en_page-layout.pdf --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: margin bigger than backspace pushes it outside the edge
@ 2023-12-10 10:53   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-12-10 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jigé via ntg-context schrieb am 10.12.2023 um 11:30:
> Hi all,
> I've been struggling with basic page layout.
>
> The left margin extends outside the left edge of the page.
> Example (from the wiki):
>
> \setuppapersize[A4][A4] % this is the default and may be omitted
> \setuplayout[backspace=20mm,

leftmargin=10mm,
leftmargindistance=5mm,

>      width=110mm,
>      topspace=20mm,
>      header=0mm,
>      footer=0mm,
>      height=250mm]
> \starttext
> \showlayout
> \stoptext

Wolfgang

@ 2023-12-10 12:17   ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2023-12-10 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Dec 2023, at 10:30, Jigé via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> I've been struggling with basic page layout.
>
> The left margin extends outside the left edge of the page.
> Example (from the wiki):

I don't know why it is like this but changing it now would probably break a lot of documents that rely on the defaults.

I suspect that most people, me included, simply adjust margin sizes until they have a pleasing result. This would only become a problem if margin text is used a lot.

The following corrects for the left margin starting off the page for both single and doublesided documents. The remainder of the settings will need adjusting to suit your specific circumstances.

\setuppapersize[A4][A3]
\setuplayout[location=middle]
\setuplayout[backspace=30.8mm]
\starttext