* UTF8 in XML
@ 2012-06-25 14:03 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2012-06-25 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

Can someone explain why the "element-of" is not printed when directly put into the source, but only if introduced through TeX-math? The input file is in UTF-8 and in the texteditor the character does appear. Example:

\setuppapersize[A6][A6]
\starttext
\start
\setupbodyfont[lucidaot]
Requested font = lucidaot:\crlf
tex math = "$\in$"\crlf
directly = "∈" (U+2208, UTF-8 = E2 8888) \par
\stop
\start
\setupbodyfont[lmodern]
Requested font = lmodern:\crlf
tex math = "$\in$"\crlf
directly = "∈" (U+2208, UTF-8 = E2 8888) \par
\stop
\stoptext
\showbodyfont
\stoptext

Hans van der Meer

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: UTF8 in XML
@ 2012-06-25 14:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-25 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.06.2012 um 16:03 schrieb Meer, H. van der:

> Can someone explain why the "element-of" is not printed when directly put into the source, but only if introduced through TeX-math? The input file is in UTF-8 and in the texteditor the character does appear. Example:

The symbol does not appear in text mode because the normal font doesn’t contain it, only the math font does.

You can see the symbol in your text editor (or in many cases the OS) because it takes it from another font which has it. ConTeXt shows only the symbols which are in your font but you can set fallback font with the \definefontfallback command.

Wolfgang

* Re: UTF8 in XML
@ 2012-06-25 15:01   ` Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2012-06-25 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 jun. 2012, at 16:21, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 25.06.2012 um 16:03 schrieb Meer, H. van der:
>
>> Can someone explain why the "element-of" is not printed when directly put into the source, but only if introduced through TeX-math? The input file is in UTF-8 and in the texteditor the character does appear. Example:
>
> The symbol does not appear in text mode because the normal font doesn’t contain it, only the math font does.
>
> You can see the symbol in your text editor (or in many cases the OS) because it takes it from another font which has it. ConTeXt shows only the symbols which are in your font but you can set fallback font with the \definefontfallback command.

That of the fontfallback sounds nice, allthough I fear it will be a lot of work, even for the currently popular fonts and for my favorite, lucidaot. I guess I will be not much of a helping hand here, because it seems to be tied to typescripts: one of the regions I have always feared. I could not find the definefontfallback mentioned in the wiki.

Is there any hope (how faint it might be) that someone will sweep through the typescripts and fix this?

Hans van der Meer