* the system not working on Linux 32 with Context-lmtx
@ 2022-06-27 17:10 Alain Delmotte via ntg-context
From: Alain Delmotte via ntg-context @ 2022-06-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: the system not working on Linux 32 with Context-lmtx
@ 2022-06-27 18:00 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-06-27 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Delmotte via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 27.06.22 um 19:10 schrieb Alain Delmotte via ntg-context:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a new disk and reinstalled the programs I was using before,
> including Context-lmtx
> It is on lubuntu 18.04 on an old 32bit machine.
>
> When I run from the console:
> context sanstitre-2.tex
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> When I run from TeXworks, I get only one line:
> startup error : no format file given, quitting
>
> So there is a step which didn't work.
>
> What should I do?

Check your PATH.
Try to rebuild the database: mtxrun --generate

Hraban

* Re: the system not working on Linux 32 with Context-lmtx
@ 2022-06-27 20:32   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-06-27 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 6/27/22 20:00, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 27.06.22 um 19:10 schrieb Alain Delmotte via ntg-context:
>> […]
>> When I run from the console:
>> context sanstitre-2.tex
>> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>> […]
>> What should I do?
> […]
> Try to rebuild the database: mtxrun --generate

Hi Alain,

as Hraban points out, "mtxrun --generate" is your friend.

I can simply reproduce you error with:

  mtxrun --scripts cache --erase

So I get:

  $ context
  mtxrun | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

Everything works fine again after I run:

  mtxrun --generate.

Before the first run after installation, this command is mandatory to
build the database.

I hope it helps,

Pablo

* Re: the system not working on Linux 32 with Context-lmtx
@ 2022-06-29  9:13     ` Alain Delmotte via ntg-context
From: Alain Delmotte via ntg-context @ 2022-06-29  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Alain Delmotte

Le 27/06/2022 à 22:32, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context a écrit :
> On 6/27/22 20:00, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>> Am 27.06.22 um 19:10 schrieb Alain Delmotte via ntg-context:
>>> […]
>>> When I run from the console:
>>> context sanstitre-2.tex
>>> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>>> […]
>>> What should I do?
>> […]
>> Try to rebuild the database: mtxrun --generate
> Hi Alain,
>
> as Hraban points out, "mtxrun --generate" is your friend.
>
> I can simply reproduce you error with:
>
>    mtxrun --scripts cache --erase
>
> So I get:
>
>    $ context
>    mtxrun | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'
>
> Everything works fine again after I run:
>
>    mtxrun --generate.
>
> Before the first run after installation, this command is mandatory to
> build the database.
>
> I hope it helps,
>
> Pablo

Hi Pablo and Haram,

When I was running mtxrun --generate, there was an
interference with TeX Live, so I uninstalled it, then it
worked. I do not know if that time I did run mtxrun. But
under TeXworks when I selected context as program it kept
electing luametatex, and it didn't work; so I manually wrote
"context" and it worked!!

Thanks for your help,

Alain

* Re: the system not working on Linux 32 with Context-lmtx
@ 2022-07-20 13:31       ` Jan Mikkelsen via ntg-context
From: Jan Mikkelsen via ntg-context @ 2022-07-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had/have a very similar problem on FreeBSD with TeXLive 2021, with the same context.lua not found message, which I posted about a while ago.

I “resolved” it by setting TEXMF to point to my texmf-dist directory, in my case /usr/local/share/texmf-dist. It would be nice for it to work without setting TEXMF.

Without setting TEXMF, running "mtxrun —generate” guesses a little differently, then attempts to scan all of /usr, and then fails when parts have no read permission.

I suspect it is working when you are in /usr/share/texmf-dist because the “collapsepath” function in mtxrun is collapsing “/../..” from /usr/bin to “.” instead of “/“. (Which seems like a bug, but I’m not sure.)

If I run “TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf-dist context file.tex” things run correctly, and a ~/.texlive2021 directory is created. Running “TEXMF=/usr/local/shared/texmf-dist mtxrun —generate” runs without error but also doesn’t generate a ~/.texlive2021 directory.

The real problem seems to be that mtxrun doesn’t deal well with the filesystem layout case of “/top-level/bin/mtxrun” and “/top-level/share/texmf-dist”.

Regards,

Jan M.

@ 2022-07-21 19:28         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-07-21 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Mikkelsen via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 7/20/2022 3:31 PM, Jan Mikkelsen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had/have a very similar problem on FreeBSD with TeXLive 2021, with the same context.lua not found message, which I posted about a while ago.
>
> I “resolved” it by setting TEXMF to point to my texmf-dist directory, in my case /usr/local/share/texmf-dist. It would be nice for it to work without setting TEXMF.
>
> Without setting TEXMF, running "mtxrun —generate” guesses a little differently, then attempts to scan all of /usr, and then fails when parts have no read permission.
>
> I suspect it is working when you are in /usr/share/texmf-dist because the “collapsepath” function in mtxrun is collapsing “/../..” from /usr/bin to “.” instead of “/“. (Which seems like a bug, but I’m not sure.)
>
> If I run “TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf-dist context file.tex” things run correctly, and a ~/.texlive2021 directory is created. Running “TEXMF=/usr/local/shared/texmf-dist mtxrun —generate” runs without error but also doesn’t generate a ~/.texlive2021 directory.
>
> The real problem seems to be that mtxrun doesn’t deal well with the filesystem layout case of “/top-level/bin/mtxrun” and “/top-level/share/texmf-dist”.
you should not run/mix lmtx with texlive

- we use luametatex as runner for both luametatex and luatex runs
- mtxrun.lua and context.lua are both in the bin path (as usual)
- mtxrun.exe and context.exe are symlinks to luametatex.exe

that is the same for all platforms but in tex live on windows there is
some small stub (i'm bot even sure what nowadays) that starts luatex in
texlue mode  and then loads mtrun.lua; on unix it is supposed to shebang
(therefore there mxrun.lua is just mtxrun).

no shebanging in lmtx: as said, just a symlink to the bin that then
picks up mtxrun.lua : all operating systmes treated equal.

So, mixing these approaches in unlikelty to work unless one makes sure
that before installing lmtx first all traces of mtxrun and context in
the bin paths are gone ... even then I'm not sure but others who mix
might know.

(btw, why not keep lmtx separate from your texlive installation)

Hans