* Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 10:34 Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context
From: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Christoph Hintermüller

Hi
Have updated my standalone installation from one of the 2020 releases
to the latest one running

./first-setup.sh --context=latest --modules=all

Now i see the strange behavior that fraction in second equation is not
typeset instead typesetting math aborts after typesetting the upper
part of the fraction. A short example showing this is attached (pdf,
tex, and log)

Therefore i have the following questions
 - would it help to sacrifice the updated standalone installation and
   do a fresh install
 - What else i would have to check and probably fix to make the math
   working as expected
 - any thing else to change

Christoph Hintermüller
Dipl.-Ing. Dr. MBA. MSc
JKU Institute of Biomedical Mechatronics
Altenberger Straße 69,
4040 Linz, Austria,
Cell: +43 650 8827347
Tel. +43 732 2468 4813
Email: christoph.hintermueller@jku.at

[-- Attachment #2: test_strange.tar.bz --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip-compressed-tar, Size: 11334 bytes --]

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 15:03 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 4/20/22 12:34, Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi
> Have updated my standalone installation from one of the 2020 releases
> to the latest one running
>
> ./first-setup.sh --context=latest --modules=all

Hi Christoph,

sorry for the obvious suggestion «post facto»: never update ConTeXt
without a backup first.

> [...]
> Therefore i have the following questions
>  - would it help to sacrifice the updated standalone installation and
>    do a fresh install

I don’t think it would work, since it only works with LuaMetaTeX.

I got the same results (in Windows [because I cannot make it work in
Linux]) with LuaTeX 1.15 (the one that comes with ConTeXt LMTX).

My suggestion would be a fresh install (in a different directory, no
need to remove anything) of ConTeXt LMTX.

>  - What else i would have to check and probably fix to make the math
>    working as expected

Math is being improved in ConTeXt these days. It might be a bug.

I wonder whether Mikael or Hans could review your issue.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 15:12   ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 5:03 PM Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 4/20/22 12:34, Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context wrote:
> > Hi
> > Have updated my standalone installation from one of the 2020 releases
> > to the latest one running
> >
> > ./first-setup.sh --context=latest --modules=all
>
> Hi Christoph,
>
> sorry for the obvious suggestion «post facto»: never update ConTeXt
> without a backup first.
>
> > [...]
> > Therefore i have the following questions
> >  - would it help to sacrifice the updated standalone installation and
> >    do a fresh install
>
> I don’t think it would work, since it only works with LuaMetaTeX.
>
> I got the same results (in Windows [because I cannot make it work in
> Linux]) with LuaTeX 1.15 (the one that comes with ConTeXt LMTX).
>
> My suggestion would be a fresh install (in a different directory, no
> need to remove anything) of ConTeXt LMTX.
>
> >  - What else i would have to check and probably fix to make the math
> >    working as expected
>
> Math is being improved in ConTeXt these days. It might be a bug.
>
> I wonder whether Mikael or Hans could review your issue.
>
> Just in case it might help,
>
> Pablo

The strange thing with fractions seems to be due to the parameter
FractionNumeratorDisplayStyleShiftUp in lm.lfg. If you always set it
to 600, it seems to work also for luatex. (This will be fixed.)

Another thing: Instead of using \over, I suggest that you use \frac
(less surprises). Something like:

\starttext
\startformula
        a=b + 1
\stopformula

\startformula
        a = \frac{ b + \mu }{ c }
\stopformula

\startformula
        a = \frac{\frac{ b + \mu }{ c } + e}{ d + i }
\stopformula
\stoptext

/Mikael

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 17:07     ` Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context
From: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Christoph Hintermüller

Hi Michael

[Inline Response to message by Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context, Mi,
paragraphs.]

> The strange thing with fractions seems to be due to the parameter
> FractionNumeratorDisplayStyleShiftUp in lm.lfg. If you always set it
> to 600, it seems to work also for luatex. (This will be fixed.)
>
> Another thing: Instead of using \over, I suggest that you use \frac
> (less surprises). Something like:
>
> \starttext
> \startformula
>         a=b + 1
> \stopformula
>
> \startformula
>         a = \frac{ b + \mu }{ c }
> \stopformula
>
> \startformula
>         a = \frac{\frac{ b + \mu }{ c } + e}{ d + i }
> \stopformula
> \stoptext

Thank you very much for the hints. \frac didn't help either even after
moving broken installation aside and doing a fresh install with

sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --context=latest

Results still similar see attached.

> /Mikael

[-- Attachment #2: test_strange.tar.bz --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip-compressed-tar, Size: 10047 bytes --]

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 17:18       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/20/2022 7:07 PM, Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> [Inline Response to message by Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context, Mi,
> paragraphs.]
>
>> The strange thing with fractions seems to be due to the parameter
>> FractionNumeratorDisplayStyleShiftUp in lm.lfg. If you always set it
>> to 600, it seems to work also for luatex. (This will be fixed.)
>>
>> Another thing: Instead of using \over, I suggest that you use \frac
>> (less surprises). Something like:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startformula
>>          a=b + 1
>> \stopformula
>>
>> \startformula
>>          a = \frac{ b + \mu }{ c }
>> \stopformula
>>
>> \startformula
>>          a = \frac{\frac{ b + \mu }{ c } + e}{ d + i }
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>
> Thank you very much for the hints. \frac didn't help either even after
> moving broken installation aside and doing a fresh install with
>
> sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --context=latest
>

> Results still similar see attached.
We had to adapt the lfg file for lm (other fonts are ok) so i'll make an
update.

If you're in a hurry, in lm.lfg:

         parameters = {
             FractionNumeratorDisplayStyleShiftUp = 600, -- used to be a
function
             NoLimitSupFactor                     =   0,
             NoLimitSubFactor                     = 900,
          -- AccentBaseHeight                     =   0,
             AccentBaseDepth                      =  50,
         },

can be adapted.

Hans

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 17:22         ` Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context
From: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Christoph Hintermüller

Hi Hans

[Inline Response to message by Hans Hagen via ntg-context, Mi, 2022-04-
20 19:18 +0200: Answers and comments below corresponding cited
paragraphs.]
> We had to adapt the lfg file for lm (other fonts are ok) so i'll make
> an
> update.
>
> If you're in a hurry, in lm.lfg:
>
>          parameters = {
>              FractionNumeratorDisplayStyleShiftUp = 600, -- used to
> be a
> function
>              NoLimitSupFactor                     =   0,
>              NoLimitSubFactor                     = 900,
>           -- AccentBaseHeight                     =   0,
>              AccentBaseDepth                      =  50,
>          },
>
> can be adapted.

That's fine. As soon as post that update is ready for pulling I will
pull.
Till then i can wait.

Best
Xristoph

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 17:41           ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 4/20/22 19:22, Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context wrote:

> That's fine. As soon as post that update is ready for pulling I will
> pull.
> Till then i can wait.

Hi Christoph,

to check when there is a new release I use:

curl -I https://lmtx.pragma-ade.com/install-lmtx/texmf-context.zip 2>&1
| grep -i Last-Modified

Just in case it might help you,

Pablo

* Re: Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 18:50             ` Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
From: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an rsync cron job running each hour that alerts me if there is a new upload. If nobody objects, I could direct the cron notification email to the list?

Taco

@ 2022-04-20 19:17               ` J. Hagen via ntg-context
From: J. Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Need some hints to fix my standalon installation
@ 2022-04-20 10:33 Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context
From: Christoph Hintermüller via ntg-context @ 2022-04-20 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: śrīrāma via ntg-context; +Cc: Christoph Hintermüller