* upload ... new feature
@ 2021-12-10 10:46 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-10 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

This time the lmtx upload has a (for some maybe) interesting new
features: runtime pdf encryption.

context
    --ownerpassword=foo
   [--userpassword=bar]
   [--permissions="see context --help --expert"]

One can also use the document banner line, like:

% ownerpassword="foo" userpassword="" permissions="print,extract,quality"

Now, this is a feature that relies on the viewer to deal properly with
it as we only support the not depricated method (why bother with the old
stuff).

acrobat  : it took some effort (and trial and error) to make that one
happy but it seems to work ok

summatra : the one i use, it works ok in the latest greatest (i use
3.3.13418)

mutool   : okay but sometimes with a warning (i have a workearound but
not enabled it because i consider it to be a bug)

qpdf     : happy but check gives a permissions warning (understandable
as that is a real mess)

firefox  : opens ok in the latest version (pdf.js)

chrome   : can't handle the revision level we use (the rest is
depricated so i consider it a lack of feature for now)

edge     : idem

okular   : my (windows) version is too old

xpdf     : not up to it yet

foxit    : (i never use it, but tried ... it's code seems to be what is
used in chrome) doesn't work with this revision

I would be surprised if the native apple viewer works but I can't test that.

Given earlier pdf threads, I wanna check with Michal Vlasák what can be
improved.

Performance is okay, the luametatex manual takes 1% more runtime and
that's within the runtime measurement margin that I use. I didn't test
with external images yet but will do that so don't expection yet. It
will probably take a few months to reach a stable state anyway. (But ...
afaiks tikz pdf generation, which is also somewhat alien to context,
seems to work).

Hopefully I didn't mess up the unrelated code,

Hans

* Re: upload ... new feature
@ 2021-12-10 11:20 ` Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
From: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context @ 2021-12-10 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 10 Dec 2021, at 11:46, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This time the lmtx upload has a (for some maybe) interesting new features: runtime pdf encryption.
>

> I would be surprised if the native apple viewer works but I can't test that.

Apple Preview works without any problems, with a quick test.

It forces a popup dialog for “user password” on opening when that is set, and with

  context .. --permissions="-print”

it shows an "owner password" dialog before allowing to print

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: taco@bittext.nl
genderfluid (all pronouns)

* Re: upload ... new feature
@ 2021-12-10 17:04 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-12-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 12/10/21 11:46 AM, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This time the lmtx upload has a (for some maybe) interesting new
> features: runtime pdf encryption.
>
> context
>     --ownerpassword=foo
>    [--userpassword=bar]
>    [--permissions="see context --help --expert"]

Many thanks for the new feature, Hans.

I’m afraid I’m not getting anything different.

Here is the source:

  \nopdfcompression
  \starttext
  \null
  \stoptext

"context --purgeall --userpassword=foo a" outputs
https://pdf.ousia.tk/enc.pdf.

"context --purgeall a" outputs https://pdf.ousia.tk/non-enc.pdf.

MuPDF-GL version 1.19 shows no encryption at all.

I wonder whether there has been an LMTX update or something else that
I’m missing (Linux64).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

* Re: upload ... new feature
@ 2021-12-10 17:37   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/10/2021 6:04 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 12/10/21 11:46 AM, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This time the lmtx upload has a (for some maybe) interesting new
>> features: runtime pdf encryption.
>>
>> context
>>      --ownerpassword=foo
>>     [--userpassword=bar]
>>     [--permissions="see context --help --expert"]
>
> Many thanks for the new feature, Hans.
>
> I’m afraid I’m not getting anything different.
>
> Here is the source:
>
>    \nopdfcompression
>    \starttext
>    \null
>    \stoptext
>
> "context --purgeall --userpassword=foo a" outputs
> https://pdf.ousia.tk/enc.pdf.
>
> "context --purgeall a" outputs https://pdf.ousia.tk/non-enc.pdf.
>
> MuPDF-GL version 1.19 shows no encryption at all.
>
> I wonder whether there has been an LMTX update or something else that
> I’m missing (Linux64).
>
> Many thanks for your help,
ownerpassword is mandate

* Re: upload ... new feature
@ 2021-12-10 19:44     ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-12-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 12/10/21 6:37 PM, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 6:04 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> I’m afraid I’m not getting anything different.
>> [...]
>> I wonder whether there has been an LMTX update or something else that
>> I’m missing (Linux64).
>
> ownerpassword is mandate.

Everything is clear now and it works as expected.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo