* How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-19 19:34 Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context
From: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context @ 2023-02-19 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have a long document (A4 * 170 pages) with some CJK fonts, where some of
the \subject{...} are placed at the end of the corresponding pages, which
looks awkward. How can one flush those last-line titles to the next pages?

Currently I don't have a MWE, as trivial filling-up with 1-2 pages of
\lipsum doesn't reproduce the problem. I'm optimistically asking without
MWE, but if it is necessary anyway, please tell me and I will obfuscate the
170-page document and find a way to upload it.

Many thanks,
Sylvain

* Re: How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-19 21:21 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/19/23 20:34, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a long document (A4 * 170 pages) with some CJK fonts, where some
> of the \subject{...} are placed at the end of the corresponding pages,
> which looks awkward. How can one flush those last-line titles to the

Hi Sylvain,

the hard part for the rest of us is figuring out what you may have on
your screen.

\setuphead[subject][before={\blank[preference]}] might help.

Another approach would be \setuphead[subject][after={\blank[samepage,
line]}].

I mean, either you set a preference for breaking pages before \subject
or you force \subject to be on the same page with next paragraph.

Nothing prevents you from doing both.

BTW, default values for before and after in \setuphead[subject] are
\blank[2*big] and \blank (respectively [copied from strc-def.mkxl]).

> Currently I don't have a MWE, as trivial filling-up with 1-2 pages of
> \lipsum doesn't reproduce the problem. I'm optimistically asking without
> MWE, but if it is necessary anyway, please tell me and I will obfuscate
> the 170-page document and find a way to upload it.

I hope it might help. It is not clear for me whether the CJK fonts are
only for fragments in these languages or the main text is written in any
of these languages.

I had similar issues with \section and only the Latin script was involved.

Again, I hope it might help,

Pablo

* Re: How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-19 22:09 ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-02-19 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 19 Feb 2023, at 19:34, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Dear list,
>
> I have a long document (A4 * 170 pages) with some CJK fonts, where some of the \subject{...} are placed at the end of the corresponding pages, which looks awkward. How can one flush those last-line titles to the next pages?
>
> Currently I don't have a MWE, as trivial filling-up with 1-2 pages of \lipsum doesn't reproduce the problem. I'm optimistically asking without MWE, but if it is necessary anyway, please tell me and I will obfuscate the 170-page document and find a way to upload it.

\testpage[...] might help.

<https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/testpage>

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-20 14:47   ` Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context
From: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context @ 2023-02-20 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Sylvain Hubert

Thanks, Pablo and Bruce. Both solutions work well.

> I had similar issues with \section and only the Latin script was involved.

Btw, just in case if anyone shares this idea: is it possible to have a
zulip channel for ConTeXt? It's free for open source projects, has a
interface for existing mailing lists, and has a reasonable builtin search
engine, which could serve as another de-facto documentation, considering
the fact that very few of the massive useful use cases asked in the mailing
lists so far have been transcribed into official documentations.

@ 2023-02-20 15:21     ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/20/23 15:47, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> Btw, just in case if anyone shares this idea: is it possible to have a
> zulip channel for ConTeXt? It's free for open source projects, has a
> interface for existing mailing lists, and has a reasonable builtin
> search engine, which could serve as another de-facto documentation,
> considering the fact that very few of the massive useful use cases asked
> in the mailing lists so far have been transcribed into official
> documentations.

Hi Sylvain,

one main documentation source is the wiki.

Sorry, but I‘m afraid it is hard for me to understand how adding another
information source for ConTeXt is a gain.

Best,

Pablo

* Re: How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-20 15:46       ` Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
From: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context @ 2023-02-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 20 Feb 2023, at 16:21, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> On 2/20/23 15:47, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> Btw, just in case if anyone shares this idea: is it possible to have a
>> zulip channel for ConTeXt? It's free for open source projects, has a
>> interface for existing mailing lists, and has a reasonable builtin
>> search engine, which could serve as another de-facto documentation,
>> considering the fact that very few of the massive useful use cases asked
>> in the mailing lists so far have been transcribed into official
>> documentations.
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> one main documentation source is the wiki.
>
> Sorry, but I‘m afraid it is hard for me to understand how adding another
> information source for ConTeXt is a gain.

I had almost forgotten this, but there is also a dedicated Google Search engine
that Mojca set up more than a decade ago:

  https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016640200293943433883%3Aw-6slqs1kjg

Some of the predefined urls may be obsolete now, I have not checked those in a while. Still, it seems to work quite well still, and it could be integrated with the wiki with a bit of effort, I guess.

Best wishes,
Taco

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: taco@bittext.nl
genderfluid (all pronouns)

* Re: How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-20 17:14       ` Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context
From: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context @ 2023-02-20 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 at 23:22, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 2/20/23 15:47, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context wrote:
> > [...]
> > Btw, just in case if anyone shares this idea: is it possible to have a
> > zulip channel for ConTeXt? It's free for open source projects, has a
> > interface for existing mailing lists, and has a reasonable builtin
> > search engine, which could serve as another de-facto documentation,
> > considering the fact that very few of the massive useful use cases asked
> > in the mailing lists so far have been transcribed into official
> > documentations.
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> one main documentation source is the wiki.
>
> Sorry, but I‘m afraid it is hard for me to understand how adding another
> information source for ConTeXt is a gain.

It's a gain exactly because it's not another information source. The posts
are synced. It's just a modern and imo better UI for the mailing list, with
more pleasant searching and tracking UX.

@ 2023-02-20 20:15         ` Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context
From: Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context @ 2023-02-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Jean-Pierre Delange

For \setuphead command, Taco's reference to Google Context shows this :
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016640200293943433883%3Aw-6slqs1kjg#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=setuphead&gsc.sort=

For Japanese/Chinese CJK issues, see here :
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016640200293943433883%3Aw-6slqs1kjg#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=cjk&gsc.sort=

Thank you very much Taco for unearthing this tool! I've been asking
myself this nagging question for a long time about how to organize
thehuge pool of answers to all these technical questions that ConTeXt
contains.

It seems to me that last year someone had proposed on the mailing list
to build a similar tool?

JP

Le 20/02/2023 à 16:46, Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context a écrit :

>> On 20 Feb 2023, at 16:21, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context<ntg-context@ntg.nl>  wrote:
>>
>> On 2/20/23 15:47, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Btw, just in case if anyone shares this idea: is it possible to have a
>>> zulip channel for ConTeXt? It's free for open source projects, has a
>>> interface for existing mailing lists, and has a reasonable builtin
>>> search engine, which could serve as another de-facto documentation,
>>> considering the fact that very few of the massive useful use cases asked
>>> in the mailing lists so far have been transcribed into official
>>> documentations.
>> Hi Sylvain,
>>
>> one main documentation source is the wiki.
>>
>> Sorry, but I‘m afraid it is hard for me to understand how adding another
>> information source for ConTeXt is a gain.
> I had almost forgotten this, but there is also a dedicated Google Search engine
> that Mojca set up more than a decade ago:
>
>    https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016640200293943433883%3Aw-6slqs1kjg
>
> Some of the predefined urls may be obsolete now, I have not checked those in a while. Still, it seems to work quite well still, and it could be integrated with the wiki with a bit of effort, I guess.
>

> Best wishes,
> Taco
>
> —
> Taco Hoekwater              E:taco@bittext.nl
> genderfluid (all pronouns)

Jean-Pierre Delange
Ancients&Moderns
Professeur Agrégé de Philosophie (HC)

* Re: How to prevent \subject from being the last line
@ 2023-02-21 17:26         ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-21 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/20/23 18:14, Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 at 23:22, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
>     Hi Sylvain,
>
>     one main documentation source is the wiki.
>
>     Sorry, but I‘m afraid it is hard for me to understand how adding another
>     information source for ConTeXt is a gain.
>
> It's a gain exactly because it's not another information source. The
> posts are synced. It's just a modern and imo better UI for the mailing
> list, with more pleasant searching and tracking UX.

If I’m not missing your point, this would be an email client with
superpowers for mailing lists. Fine (as long as the mailing list isn’t
modified [no extra messages or similar]).

But the issue here is that I forgot to ask whether you would be so kind
to update the wiki with the replies you got.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo