* How to obtain a Polish en-dash?
@ 2012-06-26 21:31 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-06-26 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

in Polish we usually use "--" as a dash (between different parts of a
sequence, for instance), but we surround it by thin spaces (and the
left one is "hard", like "~").  Is there a way in ConTeXt (MkIV) to
obtain this behavior using some "tricky" syntax (like |--| or just --
surrounded by spaces) or is it better to define a custom command, like

\def\Polishdash{\unskip\kern 0.2em--\hskip 0.2em\ignorespaces}

(this is more or less taken from LaTeX's suite for Polish typesetting)?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: How to obtain a Polish en-dash?
@ 2012-06-27 13:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.06.2012 um 23:31 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:

> Hello,
>
> in Polish we usually use "--" as a dash (between different parts of a
> sequence, for instance), but we surround it by thin spaces (and the
> left one is "hard", like "~").  Is there a way in ConTeXt (MkIV) to
> obtain this behavior using some "tricky" syntax (like |--| or just --
> surrounded by spaces) or is it better to define a custom command, like
>
> \def\Polishdash{\unskip\kern 0.2em--\hskip 0.2em\ignorespaces}
>
> (this is more or less taken from LaTeX's suite for Polish typesetting)?

The output below is not perfect it demonstrates you the context mechanism for this.

\setuplanguage
  [pl]
  [ leftsentence={\removeunwantedspaces\nobreakspace\endash\space},  % |<|
   rightsentence={\removeunwantedspaces\nobreakspace\endash\space},  % |>|
     midsentence={\removeunwantedspaces\nobreakspace\endash\space},] % |=|

\mainlanguage[pl]

\starttext

left|<|middle|>|right

left|=|right