* Automatic numbering of footnotes set with \note (not with \footnote)
@ 2023-03-15  9:19 Joaquín Ataz López via ntg-context
From: Joaquín Ataz López via ntg-context @ 2023-03-15  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joaquín Ataz López via ntg-context; +Cc: Joaquín Ataz López

Good Morning to all list members.

I am writing a document with very long footnotes, and in order not to
break (in the source file) the flow of the main text, instead of using
the \footnote macro, I introduce the footnotes using \note[label] at the
point where the call to the footnote should be placed, and in a separate
place in the source file I write the text associated to the footnote
using \footnotetext[label].

This works quite well and allows to create a more readable source file.
There is, nevertheless, a small inconvenience, and it is that when
processing the document ConTeXt goes numbering automatically the notes,
attending to the order in which they are, in the source file, the
\footnotetext commands. Would there be a simple way so that the
automatic numbering follows the order of the \note commands, and not
that of \footnotetext? Maybe something with \startbuffer combined with a
counter?

--

Joaquín Ataz López
Departamento de Derecho civil

* Re: Automatic numbering of footnotes set with \note (not with \footnote)
@ 2023-03-16 11:19 ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't have the answer to your explicit question, but a work-around might be to put the footnotes into buffers instead of \footnotetext and then use /footnote[...]{\getbuffer[name]} in the body. That way ConTeXt sees them in order of appearance in the body and so the numbering should be as you want.

> On 15 Mar 2023, at 09:19, Joaquín Ataz López via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Good Morning to all list members.
>
> I am writing a document with very long footnotes, and in order not to break (in the source file) the flow of the main text, instead of using the \footnote macro, I introduce the footnotes using \note[label] at the point where the call to the footnote should be placed, and in a separate place in the source file I write the text associated to the footnote using \footnotetext[label].
>
> This works quite well and allows to create a more readable source file. There is, nevertheless, a small inconvenience, and it is that when processing the document ConTeXt goes numbering automatically the notes, attending to the order in which they are, in the source file, the \footnotetext commands. Would there be a simple way so that the automatic numbering follows the order of the \note commands, and not that of \footnotetext? Maybe something with \startbuffer combined with a counter?
>
> --
>
> Joaquín Ataz López
> Departamento de Derecho civil
> Universidad de Murcia

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: Automatic numbering of footnotes set with \note (not with \footnote)
@ 2023-03-16 16:41   ` Joaquín Ataz-López via ntg-context
From: Joaquín Ataz-López via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much, it is a perfect solution.