* [NTG-context] Structuring a magazine or booklet
@ 2024-02-28 14:21 Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2024-02-28 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I am reading up on how to replace InDesign with CTX when producing a
newsletter, using 2 or 3 double-sided A3 sheets containing text in two
columns per page (with images). I'm looking for an example of a
composition structure. Unfortunately, the wiki page devoted to projects
seems meagre. The link to an example given by Hans at the bottom of the
page: Hans Hagen (2011) Project Structure, ConTeXt magazine #1101 is a
dead link.

For example, if I take a notebook consisting of 2 A3 sheets, folded to
give 8 pages, the first page, which is an odd page, will be printed on
the back of sheet 1, as will page 8. Page 2 is printed on the same
sheet, but on the front as an even page. However, note that page 3 (odd)
is printed (as an odd page, like page 1) on the reverse of sheet 2. Then
pages 4 and 5 are printed on the front of sheet 2, while page 6 faces
page 3 on the back of sheet 2. Page 7 is on the same front as page 2
(sheet 1) and finally, page 8 faces (on the back of sheet 1) page 1.
My question is this: is there a way to automate the placement of text
and images on the right pages with ConTeXt, or do you have to organise
everything manually with a layout?

Does anyone have more detailed information? I'd be delighted to add this
information to the Wiki page.

Thank you for your help.
JP

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Structuring a magazine or booklet
@ 2024-02-28 14:27 ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2024-02-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the noise : I did'nt see the ConTeXt imposition schemas here :

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Imposition

I'll read and test it.

@ 2024-02-28 18:10   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-02-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/28/24 15:27, Jean-Pierre Delange wrote:
> Sorry for the noise : I did'nt see the ConTeXt imposition schemas here :
>
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Imposition
>
> I'll read and test it.

Hi Jean-Pierre,

in its simplest form, a booklet may be:

  \setuppapersize[A4][A3, landscape]
  \setuparranging[2UP]
  \starttext
  \dorecurse{28}{\section{Section}\input zapf}
  \stoptext

I think this seems to be what you may be aiming at.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

@ 2024-02-29 13:31     ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2024-02-29 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)