* math symbols
@ 2022-08-05 15:34 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-08-05 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're curious what math symbols users actually use. There are for
instance all kind of variations on '<' and '>' and the quesiton is: how
should we group them and are they used differently in different contexts.

Traditionally tex sort of groups according to spacing related classes
but we are (1) mor egranular than that and (2) like to organize symbols
(and related commands) into meaning related groups.

The fact that for instance mathml and openmath only groups a small
selection is kind of puzzling because it means that only a handful is
considered useful while on the other han dwe have plenty in unicode and
fonts (of course multiple usage and overloads complicate matters).

We'd like to sort out some of the mess that the tex community
accumulated over decades and are not that bound to conventions, more to
a well organized whole,

Hans

* Re: Math symbols
@ 1999-08-23  8:09 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-08-23  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi David,

> How does one get the double-barred R and C that are usually used to
> represent the sets of real and complex numbers, respectively?
How about \setupbodyfont[ams]

$\Bbb C$ ?

Note that it is also possible to use non-italic bold letters for this purpose.
In my files I've defined these commands, so I can change the layout, if I want.

\def\expe{{\rm e}} % Exponential  e (upright)
\def\dD{{\rm d}}   % Differential d (upright)
\def\iI{{\rm i}}   % Euler's imaginary i (upright)

% set of numbers; format: IR, IN etc.
\def\bfN{{\Bbb N}}
\def\bfZ{{\Bbb Z}}
\def\bfQ{{\Bbb Q}}
\def\bfR{{\Bbb R}}
\def\bfC{{\Bbb C}}

% Alternative: bold and non-italic
%\def\bfN{{\bf N}}
%\def\bfZ{{\bf Z}}
%\def\bfQ{{\bf Q}}
%\def\bfR{{\bf R}}
%\def\bfC{{\bf C}}

> Also, how does one get the fancy symbols that are usually used by
> mathematicians to represent the real and imaginary parts of a complex number?
For a fracture like I and R try \Re and \Im (defined in plain TeX). Or you can
redefine it as {\rm Im\>} and {\rm Re\>} if you want to get Re z and Im z
instead.

Tobias

* Math symbols
@ 1999-08-23  1:56 David Arnold