* annotated equations
@ 2022-11-17 12:46 Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-11-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here’s an interesting example for annotated equations, done with LaTeX/TikZ:
https://mastodon.social/@sibin/109349703357749846

I guess something similar is possible with node anchors in ConTeXt/MetaPost?

Hraban

* Re: annotated equations
@ 2022-11-17 13:25 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-11-17 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 11/17/2022 1:46 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Here’s an interesting example for annotated equations, done with
> LaTeX/TikZ:
> https://mastodon.social/@sibin/109349703357749846
>
> I guess something similar is possible with node anchors in
> ConTeXt/MetaPost?
Mikael and I played plenty with annotating formulas as part of all this
math stuff (part of exploring interference with spacing which is
something we don't want cq. bother users with); for inline, display and
matrices

but as usual it's demand driven so it is pending 'documenting' and
'interface improvements' ... it's not like users are screaming for these
features and there are no projects that drive them so "yes, it's there,
but you need to check the examples (in the source)"

the priorities are currently: math tweaks (+ fixing some fonts), new
math manual, additional trickery, mixed with stimulating metafun

(attached a quick and dirty copy of one of our many todo docs)

Hans

(who every time he sees something called 'mastodon' has to smile and
remember reading
https://eu.palmbeachdailynews.com/story/entertainment/2020/10/16/carl-hiaasen-writes-pythons-palm-beach-and-potus-new-book/3667047001/)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

[-- Attachment #2: demo.pdf --]

* Re: annotated equations
@ 2022-11-17 14:18   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-11-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 17.11.22 um 14:25 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> On 11/17/2022 1:46 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>> Here’s an interesting example for annotated equations, done with
>> LaTeX/TikZ:
>> https://mastodon.social/@sibin/109349703357749846

Marei told me this is nothing individual but from this package:
https://ctan.org/pkg/annotate-equations
It’s mostly TikZ and could also work with ConTeXt.

> it's not like users are screaming for these
> features and there are no projects that drive them

Of course. I don’t need it, hardly use formulae at all, but I found it
interesting.

> (who every time he sees something called 'mastodon' has to smile and
> remember reading
> https://eu.palmbeachdailynews.com/story/entertainment/2020/10/16/carl-hiaasen-writes-pythons-palm-beach-and-potus-new-book/3667047001/)

That’s funny, maybe there’s an intentional connection.

Hraban

* Re: annotated equations
@ 2022-11-18 16:25 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-11-18 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Thu, 17 Nov 2022, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

> Here’s an interesting example for annotated equations, done with LaTeX/TikZ:
> https://mastodon.social/@sibin/109349703357749846
>
> I guess something similar is possible with node anchors in ConTeXt/MetaPost?

Yes, this is possible using node anchors and \hpos etc. The interface is slightly cumbersome, mainly because you have to make sure that anchors are unique.

I sometimes use such constructs in my presentations, but not often enough to build a nice interface as the latex package provides.

Aditya

* Re: annotated equations
@ 2022-11-18 21:00   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-11-18 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 11/18/2022 5:25 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2022, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> Here’s an interesting example for annotated equations, done with LaTeX/TikZ:
>> https://mastodon.social/@sibin/109349703357749846
>>
>> I guess something similar is possible with node anchors in ConTeXt/MetaPost?
>
> Yes, this is possible using node anchors and \hpos etc. The interface is slightly cumbersome, mainly because you have to make sure that anchors are unique.
>
> I sometimes use such constructs in my presentations, but not often enough to build a nice interface as the latex package provides.
eventually there will be something as part of the math upsate (we also
have some stuff for matrices already) but only documenting can make if
final (as then we check consistency); the problem is not the interface
but to *not* mess up the math spacing that we want to be 'perfect' if
such features are used without the need to interfere

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE