* Re: mwe (font proble) SOLVED
@ 2021-11-14 23:32 skyhorse--- via ntg-context
From: skyhorse--- via ntg-context @ 2021-11-14 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Solved.  Well almost.  I do know that it's an access problem of some sort.
I used 'font-manager' to look at fonts and it showed  'DejaVu Math Tex Gyre' as "disabled"
For su is shows the font as usable.
When context is run su, it compiles successfully.
So the fonts are there.  The example does work, but, not for me as user.
I for some reason have the some fonts disabled.
I'll figure out how to enable them.

Thank you all for your time.  I'll post back when I know what to do in case any future user has this problem.

Thank you

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 11/14/2021 12:26 AM, skyhorse--- via ntg-context wrote:
> > Here is the minium not-working example which I took from the
> > Wikigarden a few minutes ago.
> >
> > \def\T#1{%
> >    \startitemize[#1,joinedup]
> >      \item This is a bullet of type #1.
> >    \stopitemize
> > }
> > \starttext
> >    \dorecurse{9}{\T\recurselevel}
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Compiling this into a pdf file with context produces an error.
> > I've pasted the complete context typesetting run to show the error, in hopes that it will shed some light on what's wrong with my setup.   I have a feeling that the stand along install is missing some vital part of the installation regarding fonts, and that it's not noticed by the majority of you since those items are still on your system from legacy versions.
> nornally it means that you have no math font loaded (i.e. you do
> something before \starttext
>
> Hans

* Re: mwe (font proble) SOLVED
@ 2021-11-15  3:34 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2021-11-15  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skyhorse--- via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021, skyhorse--- via ntg-context wrote:

> Solved.  Well almost.  I do know that it's an access problem of some sort.
> I used 'font-manager' to look at fonts and it showed  'DejaVu Math Tex Gyre' as "disabled"
> For su is shows the font as usable.
> When context is run su, it compiles successfully.
> So the fonts are there.  The example does work, but, not for me as user.
> I for some reason have the some fonts disabled.
> I'll figure out how to enable them.

Most likely, you installed context using `su` or `sudo`. It is possible that the directory where the fonts are installed are not readable by the user.

The simple work-around is to install context as a regular user so that you have the permissions to read the font files.

Aditya

* Re: mwe (font proble) SOLVED
@ 2021-11-15  7:43   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-11-15  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.11.2021 um 04:34 schrieb Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2021, skyhorse--- via ntg-context wrote:
>

>> Solved.  Well almost.  I do know that it's an access problem of some sort.
>> I used 'font-manager' to look at fonts and it showed  'DejaVu Math Tex Gyre' as "disabled"
>> For su is shows the font as usable.
>> When context is run su, it compiles successfully.
>> So the fonts are there.  The example does work, but, not for me as user.
>> I for some reason have the some fonts disabled.
>> I'll figure out how to enable them.
>
> Most likely, you installed context using `su` or `sudo`. It is possible that the directory where the fonts are installed are not readable by the user.
>
> The simple work-around is to install context as a regular user so that you have the permissions to read the font files.

... or at least open permissions.

I could imagine the real culprit is the cache tree (i.e. its permissions).

Hraban