* [NTG-context] font error in float placement?
@ 2024-01-13 18:43 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-13 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

(LMTX, latest beta with self-compiled binary on OSX-intel.)

With my book, I run into an Lua error while placing a sidefloat.
If I comment \externalfigure or replace the image with a different one,
the error disappears.

I can’t reproduce it in a minimal example, so I guess it depends on the
current surroundings.

Since it points to some font handling and the figure is a PDF containing
fonts, I guess it might depend on the new handling of fonts in PDFs, but
it doesn’t change regardless of
\setupexternalfigures[compact=preset:merge] or other settings.

Here’s the image:
https://yemaya.fiee.net/s/8TqwfcP7mLMmy9p
(In a simple document it works.)

Hraban

"""
lua error       > lua error on line 516 in file de/c_feinheiten.tex:

registered function call [1565]:
...xmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-fix-imp-fonts.lmt:596: attempt
to index a nil value (field 'embed')
stack traceback:
	...xmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-fix-imp-fonts.lmt:596: in
local 'handler'
	...xmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-fix-imp-fonts.lmt:709: in
upvalue 'plugin'
	...xmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-fix-imp-fonts.lmt:938: in
upvalue 'lpdf_epdf_fontplugin'
	[string "local lpdf_epdf_fontplugin = lpdf.epdf.fontpl..."]:3: in local
'runner'
	...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-fix.lmt:97: in
upvalue 'lpdf_epdf_contentplugin'
	[string "local lpdf_epdf_contentplugin = lpdf.epdf.con..."]:3: in local
'runner'
	...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-fix.lmt:119: in
field 'pageplugin'
	...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/lpdf-pde.lmt:1371: in
upvalue 'copypage'
	...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/grph-chk.lua:112: in
function <...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/grph-chk.lua:97>
	...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/grph-inc.lmt:1680: in
function <...-10/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkxl/grph-inc.lmt:1665>
	(...tail calls...)
506     \startsubsection[title=Schriftwahl]
…
513
514     \startplacefigure[title={Beispiele für gebrochene Schriften,
halbherzig von Hand ausgeglichen},location=right,reference=abb:fraktur]
515     \externalfigure[gebrochene_schriften][width=.5\textwidth]
516 >>  \stopplacefigure
"""

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: font error in float placement?
@ 2024-01-13 20:09 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-13 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 13.01.24 um 19:43 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
> (LMTX, latest beta with self-compiled binary on OSX-intel.)
>
> With my book, I run into an Lua error while placing a sidefloat.
> If I comment \externalfigure or replace the image with a different one,
> the error disappears.
>
> I can’t reproduce it in a minimal example, so I guess it depends on the
> current surroundings.
>
> Since it points to some font handling and the figure is a PDF containing
> fonts, I guess it might depend on the new handling of fonts in PDFs, but
> it doesn’t change regardless of
> \setupexternalfigures[compact=preset:merge] or other settings.
>
> Here’s the image:
> https://yemaya.fiee.net/s/8TqwfcP7mLMmy9p
> (In a simple document it works.)

I found a workaround: I opened the file with Inkscape and converted
everything in curves. The PDF is even smaller now, and it proves that
the problem was with the fonts. Saving it in Acrobat Pro didn’t help.

BTW the "compact" settings didn’t change anything for my big songbook
(hundreds of note line PDFs with included fonts); I’m not sure about the
code examples in my ConTeXt book.

Hraban

@ 2024-01-13 20:29   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 13.01.24 um 21:09 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>> Here’s the image:
>> https://yemaya.fiee.net/s/8TqwfcP7mLMmy9p
>> (In a simple document it works.)
>
> I found a workaround: I opened the file with Inkscape and converted
> everything in curves. The PDF is even smaller now, and it proves that
> the problem was with the fonts. Saving it in Acrobat Pro didn’t help.
>
> BTW the "compact" settings didn’t change anything for my big songbook
> (hundreds of note line PDFs with included fonts); I’m not sure about the
> code examples in my ConTeXt book.

I found more graphics (PDFs with included fonts) that triggered the
error, one of them a LilyPond example that was no problem in the songbook.
Something in my ConTeXt book setup causes a different handling of these
externalfigures – but a small example with the same environments worked.

Hraban

@ 2024-01-14 13:02     ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2024-01-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Jan 2024, at 20:29, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> Am 13.01.24 um 21:09 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>>> Here’s the image:
>>> https://yemaya.fiee.net/s/8TqwfcP7mLMmy9p
>>> (In a simple document it works.)
>> I found a workaround: I opened the file with Inkscape and converted everything in curves. The PDF is even smaller now, and it proves that the problem was with the fonts. Saving it in Acrobat Pro didn’t help.
>> BTW the "compact" settings didn’t change anything for my big songbook (hundreds of note line PDFs with included fonts); I’m not sure about the code examples in my ConTeXt book.
>
> I found more graphics (PDFs with included fonts) that triggered the error, one of them a LilyPond example that was no problem in the songbook.
> Something in my ConTeXt book setup causes a different handling of these externalfigures – but a small example with the same environments worked.

Whenever I've had odd results like this it's been the result of an accumulation of 'small' errors. For example, I once had a missing } in a macro in an environment file. For whatever reason, it didn't trigger an immediate end to the compilation run and a product with one or two components (using that environment) didn't trigger odd behaviour. But once all components were included then the odd behaviours started happening.

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

@ 2024-01-14 13:12 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-01-14 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> to index a nil value (field 'embed')
fixed in next upload (this merge upgrade is a bit work in progress)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl