* pull quotes
@ 2022-04-27  6:01 jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2022-04-27  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

Back in March, Garulfo asked a question about pull quotes and offered
two links by way of example. One of the styles in those links interested
me in particular, namely

https://www.societal.fr/sites/societal/files/old_site/societal-46-6-boiteux-reperesettendances.pdf#page=2

I know how to make a pull quote in general terms, but Garulfo's question
was quite specific - was there a preferred way to set an intercolumn
pull quote, and presumably he also meant of the kind found in the link
above. I did not see any response to his question so perhaps he received
one off-list. I too would be interested to know how one might achieve
precisely the kind in the example, which features a 'bracketed' pull
quote. Has anyone attempted that?

Julian

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 21:28         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-28 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.04.2011 um 23:15 schrieb mathew:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:16, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> As do now know what you want here is a solution from me (MkIV only):
>
> Could you comment on the advantages of your solution, given its
> greater complexity?

It gives you more flexibility but my first goal was to get rid of
the \placepullquote command in the text. Another reason why i used
\defineannotation is that it creates i environment where you can
pass the argument to another command.

I could have written a shorter setup but i wanted the possibility
to change the position of the quote (e.g. “location=left”) and you
can also change the width and style of the text.

Wolfgang

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 21:21               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.04.2011 um 22:56 schrieb Marco:

>> http://www.elijournals.com/images/articleFigures/0302/msw0321a.gif
>
> I intentionally didn't suggest a layout like this. 1st it
> has a horrible spacing and 2nd it's very hard to read.

+1

>>> This would mark up the text surrounding the pull quote as
>>> somehow different than the one preceding and following the
>>> pull quote and thus confuse the reader.
>>
>> I don’t think so because it’s common in magazines but TeX
>> isn’t the best tool for this.
>
> Mostly in magazines the layout comes first and the
> readability second, that's why magazines can't be a
> measure for a readable layout. Best example is variable
> inter-character spacing.
>
>> • http://www.wyssdesign.com/Wyss_Design_Images/Bookprojects/Wyss_Design_Success_Spread1.jpg
>> • http://www.twopeaspublishing.com/assets/sample_pullquote.jpg
>
> These both pull quotes are not centred.

No but the look better and disturb you (or at least me) while reading.

>> • http://homeforprofits.com/wp-content/uploads/wikipedia-pullquote.png
>> • http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2897250-31035/Picture+32.png
>
> This looks fine, it's common this way. But it only works
> in a two-column layout. I assumed we're talking about one
> column layouts.

Yes, for more columns use always the full width, even spanned
columns are possible but i won’t use shaped text.

Wolfgang

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 21:15       ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-04-28 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:16, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> As do now know what you want here is a solution from me (MkIV only):

Could you comment on the advantages of your solution, given its
greater complexity?

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 20:56             ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-04-28 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-04-28 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> When using center, the quote is centered, but the text
> >> comes after the quote.
> >
> > A feasible solution. It is eye-catching and easy to read.
>
> And there are many ways to make it fancy:
> http://layersmagazine.com/indesign-paragraph-rules.html

I never doubted that pull quotes can't be fancy ;)

> >> It would be nice if the text would flow around both
> >> sides of the quote,
> >
> > Do you really think so? How would it look like? A three
> > column layout: text left, pull quote, text right and the
> > text continues in full-width?
>
> http://www.elijournals.com/images/articleFigures/0302/msw0321a.gif

I intentionally didn't suggest a layout like this. 1st it
has a horrible spacing and 2nd it's very hard to read.

> > This would mark up the text surrounding the pull quote as
> > somehow different than the one preceding and following the
> > pull quote and thus confuse the reader.
>
> I don’t think so because it’s common in magazines but TeX
> isn’t the best tool for this.

Mostly in magazines the layout comes first and the
readability second, that's why magazines can't be a
measure for a readable layout. Best example is variable
inter-character spacing.

> • http://www.wyssdesign.com/Wyss_Design_Images/Bookprojects/Wyss_Design_Success_Spread1.jpg
> • http://www.twopeaspublishing.com/assets/sample_pullquote.jpg

These both pull quotes are not centred.

> • http://homeforprofits.com/wp-content/uploads/wikipedia-pullquote.png
> • http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2897250-31035/Picture+32.png

This looks fine, it's common this way. But it only works
in a two-column layout. I assumed we're talking about one
column layouts.

Marco

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 20:25           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-28 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.04.2011 um 21:53 schrieb Marco:

> On 2011-04-28 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looks great, but you can not use center.
>
> Sure you can.

As the argument of the location key is just passed to \placefigure
you can use any valid placefloat keyword.

>> When using center, the quote is centered, but the text
>> comes after the quote.
>
> A feasible solution. It is eye-catching and easy to read.

And there are many ways to make it fancy: http://layersmagazine.com/indesign-paragraph-rules.html

>> It would be nice if the text would flow around both
>> sides of the quote,
>
> Do you really think so? How would it look like? A three
> column layout: text left, pull quote, text right and the
> text continues in full-width?

http://www.elijournals.com/images/articleFigures/0302/msw0321a.gif

> This would mark up the text surrounding the pull quote as
> somehow different than the one preceding and following the
> pull quote and thus confuse the reader.

I don’t think so because it’s common in magazines but TeX
isn’t the best tool for this.

• http://www.wyssdesign.com/Wyss_Design_Images/Bookprojects/Wyss_Design_Success_Spread1.jpghttp://www.twopeaspublishing.com/assets/sample_pullquote.jpghttp://homeforprofits.com/wp-content/uploads/wikipedia-pullquote.pnghttp://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2897250-31035/Picture+32.png

Wolfgang

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 19:53         ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-04-28 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2011-04-28 19:32       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-04-28 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/4/28 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> As do now know what you want here is a solution from me (MkIV only):
>
> \usemodule[annotation]
>
> \define[2]\PullquoteCommand
>  {\placefigure[\annotationparameter{location},none]{}%
>     {\framedtext
>        [frame=off,
>         width=\annotationparameter{width},
>         style=\annotationparameter{style}]
> %       {“#2”}}}
>        {\setupinterlinespace“#2”\par}}}
>
> \defineannotation
>  [pullquote]
>  [alternative=command,
>       command=\PullquoteCommand,
>      location=right,
>         width=fit,
>         style=\tfc]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startpullquote[width=4cm]
> All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
> \stoppullquote
>
> \input knuth
>
> \blank
>
> \startpullquote[width=4cm,location=left]
> All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
> \stoppullquote
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

Looks great, but you can not use center. Would that be possible. When
using center, the quote is centered, but the text comes after the
quote. It would be nice if the text would flow around both sides of
the quote,

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-28 17:16     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-28 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-04-28 16:27   ` mathew
From: mathew @ 2011-04-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 15:08, Pontus Lurcock <pont@talvi.net> wrote:
> Why not just put it in a float?

OK, after some fiddling around, a combination of a framed text in a
float seems to work.

Definitions:

\definefloat[pullquote][pullquotes] % Define a new type of float
\setupcaption[pullquote][location=none] % Set it to have no captions
\defineframedtext[pullquote][frame=off] % Define a new type of framed
text with no visible frame

Usage:

\placepullquote[right]{}{
\startpullquote[width=4cm]
\tfc “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”
\stoppullquote}

The {} in the \placepullquote is the text for the caption, which in
this case is set up to be invisible. Obviously you could use the
caption feature to cite the source of quotations.

Added to the wiki.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-27 20:08 ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-04-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed 27 Apr 2011, mathew wrote:

> Has anyone implemented pull quotes using ConTeXt? What would be the
> best approach to take?

Why not just put it in a float?

Pont

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-27 18:48     ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-04-27 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/4/27 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>>> Has anyone implemented pull quotes using ConTeXt? What would be the
>>> best approach to take?
>>
>> I have no clue what pull quotes are.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/44875mo

That is something what I would like to do also. I had asked about it,
but because I did not know the correct term, I did not get an answer.
Hopefully it is possible.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Pull quotes
@ 2011-04-27 18:38   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-04-27 18:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-04-27 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-4-2011 7:49, mathew wrote:
> Has anyone implemented pull quotes using ConTeXt? What would be the
> best approach to take?

I have no clue what pull quotes are.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl