* LMTX and soft links (Linux)
@ 2020-07-05 19:14 Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-07-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using both LMTX from the ConTeXt standalone installation and a TeX Live
installation. Since I'm using binaries from the standalone (and added LMTX
to path, etc.), I created soft links in texmf-modules via

ln -s /usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex ~/lmtx/tex/texmf-modules/tex

and similar (lmtx is my directory for the standalone).

LuaTeX finds files without any issues. However LuaMetaTeX gives the
following error:

runtime error : input file (name of file) is not found, quitting

The same result is for modules, .sty files and .tex files. Is this
intentional, a bug in LMTX, or is a better solution possible? In case it's
useful, I'm working with Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you a lot.

Jairo :)

* Re: LMTX and soft links (Linux)
@ 2020-07-05 19:52 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-07-05 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/5/20 9:14 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> I'm using both LMTX from the ConTeXt standalone installation and a TeX
> Live installation. Since I'm using binaries from the standalone (and
> added LMTX to path, etc.), I created soft links in texmf-modules via
>
> ln -s /usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex ~/lmtx/tex/texmf-modules/tex
>
> and similar (lmtx is my directory for the standalone).
>
> LuaTeX finds files without any issues. However LuaMetaTeX gives the
> following error:
>
> runtime error : input file (name of file) is not found, quitting
>
> The same result is for modules, .sty files and .tex files. Is this
> intentional, a bug in LMTX, or is a better solution possible? In case
> it's useful, I'm working with Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you a lot.

Hi Jairo,

I experience something very similar in Linux too.

LMTX follows softlinks to files, but no softlink to directories.

I don’t know why this happens, but it behaves this way.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: LMTX and soft links (Linux)
@ 2020-07-05 20:16   ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-07-05 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed, it works. A fast "cp -rs" solved it. Anyways, I'd rather prefer a
less "manual" method. Thank you very much, Pablo.

Jairo :)

El dom., 5 de jul. de 2020 a la(s) 14:52, Pablo Rodriguez (oinos@gmx.es)
escribió:

> On 7/5/20 9:14 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> > I'm using both LMTX from the ConTeXt standalone installation and a TeX
> > Live installation. Since I'm using binaries from the standalone (and
> > added LMTX to path, etc.), I created soft links in texmf-modules via
> >
> > ln -s /usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex ~/lmtx/tex/texmf-modules/tex
> >
> > and similar (lmtx is my directory for the standalone).
> >
> > LuaTeX finds files without any issues. However LuaMetaTeX gives the
> > following error:
> >
> > runtime error : input file (name of file) is not found, quitting
> >
> > The same result is for modules, .sty files and .tex files. Is this
> > intentional, a bug in LMTX, or is a better solution possible? In case
> > it's useful, I'm working with Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you a lot.
>
> Hi Jairo,
>
> I experience something very similar in Linux too.
>
> LMTX follows softlinks to files, but no softlink to directories.
>
> I don’t know why this happens, but it behaves this way.
>
> Just in case it helps,
>
> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: LMTX and soft links (Linux)
@ 2020-07-06 17:26     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-07-06 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/5/20 10:16 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> Indeed, it works. A fast "cp -rs" solved it. Anyways, I'd rather prefer
> a less "manual" method. Thank you very much, Pablo.

Hi Jairo,

glad to read it helped.

But an open question (to Hans, Wolfgang and other LMTX developers) is
why softlinks in Linux (in Unix, my guess) only work for files and not
for directories. Sorry, but this doesn’t make sense to me.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: LMTX and soft links (Linux)
@ 2020-07-06 17:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-07-06 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/6/2020 7:26 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 7/5/20 10:16 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
>> Indeed, it works. A fast "cp -rs" solved it. Anyways, I'd rather prefer
>> a less "manual" method. Thank you very much, Pablo.
>
> Hi Jairo,
>
> glad to read it helped.
>
> But an open question (to Hans, Wolfgang and other LMTX developers) is
> why softlinks in Linux (in Unix, my guess) only work for files and not
> for directories. Sorry, but this doesn’t make sense to me.
The current upload should be better (according to taco and me).

Hans

* Re: LMTX and soft links (Linux)
@ 2020-07-06 18:19         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-07-06 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/6/20 7:45 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> But an open question (to Hans, Wolfgang and other LMTX developers) is
>> why softlinks in Linux (in Unix, my guess) only work for files and not
>> for directories. Sorry, but this doesn’t make sense to me.
>
> The current upload should be better (according to taco and me).

Many thanks for your the fix, Hans and Taco.

Soft links to directories work fine for me

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk