* alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-19 12:59 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-01-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, for my section titles I’m looking for the alignment parameters that give me:
- left aligned
- no hyphenation (or only where I set breakpoints manually)
- no overfull hboxes

At the moment I have
align={flushleft,extremestretch,nothyphenated}
(would use also hz and hanging, if they don’t interfere),
but in a few cases I still get section titles that are much wider than the text column.

Can I reduce the penalty for underfull hboxes? Or what else?

In case it matters, this is within a columnset.

Best, Hraban

* Re: alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-19 19:02 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-01-19 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:59:15 +0100
Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> Hi, for my section titles I’m looking for the alignment parameters that give me:
> - left aligned
> - no hyphenation (or only where I set breakpoints manually)
> - no overfull hboxes
>
> At the moment I have
> align={flushleft,extremestretch,nothyphenated}
> (would use also hz and hanging, if they don’t interfere),
> but in a few cases I still get section titles that are much wider than the text column.

align={flushleft,broad,nothyphenated}

Wolfgang

* Re: alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-19 19:56   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-01-19 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2020-01-19 um 20:02 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:59:15 +0100
> Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi, for my section titles I’m looking for the alignment parameters that give me:
>> - left aligned
>> - no hyphenation (or only where I set breakpoints manually)
>> - no overfull hboxes
>>
>> At the moment I have
>> align={flushleft,extremestretch,nothyphenated}
>> (would use also hz and hanging, if they don’t interfere),
>> but in a few cases I still get section titles that are much wider than the text column.
>
> align={flushleft,broad,nothyphenated}

Thank you, but unfortunately it makes no difference.

Best, Hraban

* Re: alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-19 20:01     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-01-19 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 20:56:53 +0100
Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> > Am 2020-01-19 um 20:02 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:59:15 +0100
> > Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, for my section titles I’m looking for the alignment parameters that give me:
> >> - left aligned
> >> - no hyphenation (or only where I set breakpoints manually)
> >> - no overfull hboxes
> >>
> >> At the moment I have
> >> align={flushleft,extremestretch,nothyphenated}
> >> (would use also hz and hanging, if they don’t interfere),
> >> but in a few cases I still get section titles that are much wider than the text column.
> >
> > align={flushleft,broad,nothyphenated}
>
> Thank you, but unfortunately it makes no difference.

You have to provide a minimal example.

Wolfgang

* Re: alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-19 21:44       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-01-19 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> align={flushleft,broad,nothyphenated}
>>
>> Thank you, but unfortunately it makes no difference.
>
> You have to provide a minimal example.

I know. My project setup is just so extensive, and there are several problems that I'm trying to isolate since days…
I was hoping for an easy solution in this case.

I already learned that \setuplayout[grid=strut] makes more problems than it solves while fontfeature dimensions=strut is good; I should avoid frames in section titles (not necessarily, but it’s more controllable without); how to get more control over makeups and that columnsets are somewhat fastidious, esp. with floats…
Still open: this one, different behaviour of \blank in before vs. command, chapters always starting on left pages despite page=no (a side effect of the columnset, I guess), and floats, floats, floats.

But here we are:

\setuppapersize[A6]
\showframe[text]
\setupalign[flushleft,broad,nothyphenated]
\define[2]\MySection{\vbox{#2}}

\setuphead[section][
  command=\MySection,
  %align={flushleft,broad,nothyphenated},
]

\starttext

\section{Rübenheimer Klimaschutz\-kommission interveniert wohlwollend.}
% It should break "Klimaschutz-komission" or put the whole word in the next line,
% but it keeps the first two words together.

\section{Ein Schwarzelf mit Gelatinewürfel zagt im Regen nie.}

\section{Die Donau\-dampfschifffahrts\-gesellschaft lädt zum Tanztee.}

\stoptext

Best, Hraban

* Re: alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-20  4:57         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-01-20  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:44:02 +0100
Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> >> Thank you, but unfortunately it makes no difference.
> >
> > You have to provide a minimal example.
>
> I know. My project setup is just so extensive, and there are several problems that I'm trying to isolate since days…
> I was hoping for an easy solution in this case.
>
> I already learned that \setuplayout[grid=strut] makes more problems than it solves while fontfeature dimensions=strut is good;I should avoid frames in section titles (not necessarily, but it’s more controllable without); how to get more control over makeups and that columnsets are somewhat fastidious, esp. with floats…

Use \setuplayout[grid=yes] when "grid=strut" doesn't work.

> Still open: this one, different behaviour of \blank in before vs. command, chapters always starting on left pages despite page=no (a side effect of the columnset, I guess), and floats, floats, floats.
>
> But here we are:
>

> \setuppapersize[A6]
> \showframe[text]
> \setupalign[flushleft,broad,nothyphenated]
> \define[2]\MySection{\vbox{#2}}

Put the alignment command in the box.

\define[2]\MySection
  {\vbox{\setupalign[flushleft,broad,nothyphenated]#2}}

Wolfgang

* Re: alignment parameters
@ 2020-01-20  6:05           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-01-20  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2020-01-20 um 05:57 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>> I already learned that \setuplayout[grid=strut] makes more problems than it solves while fontfeature dimensions=strut is good;I should avoid frames in section titles (not necessarily, but it’s more controllable without); how to get more control over makeups and that columnsets are somewhat fastidious, esp. with floats…
>
> Use \setuplayout[grid=yes] when "grid=strut" doesn't work.

That’s what I do.

>> \setuppapersize[A6]
>> \showframe[text]
>> \setupalign[flushleft,broad,nothyphenated]
>> \define[2]\MySection{\vbox{#2}}
>
> Put the alignment command in the box.
>
> \define[2]\MySection
>  {\vbox{\setupalign[flushleft,broad,nothyphenated]#2}}

Oh yes, thank you!
Could have tried that myself.

Best, Hraban