* Re: Achieving the style of Jean-Luc Doumont
       [not found] <mailman.1.1652695201.2637.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2022-05-20 14:40 ` Susanne G. Loeber via ntg-context
From: Susanne G. Loeber via ntg-context @ 2022-05-20 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Susanne G. Loeber

> Dear list,
>
> Years ago I stumbled upon the work of Jean-Luc Doumont.

He typesets all his documents using TeX, although his modified Version
> called Quantum. The whole idea of his fascinating approach is that the page
> is quantized in 2 dimensions and that all positioning, even graphical
> elements stick to that grid. I'm attaching a link to a presentation by him
> in which he gives some fragments of code that I, unfortunately, have a hard
> time understanding.

Thank you for the pdf!

I'm interested in replicating this 2d grid in Context. How would one go
> about enforcing such strict 2d organization? As I get it he does a lot of
> manual tweaking, and his documents are less automated and more hand
> crafted than a typical Context document.I'm specifically interested in
> using this approach for report generation.

 It would be wonderful to have, especially for adaptation, personalisation
purposes.

To me data I/O is not an issue since I would use a Python script to
> generate the markup.

Even though I am not a programmer, I would like to be of help. For example:
brainstorming or testing ideas.
I hope there are more enthousiasts eager to help. (Thanks Aditya.)

> I know the question is pretty general, but any pointers would be welcome.
> Maybe the first thing useful would be the grid and how to position
> everything in accordance with it. I envisioned this thread more for
> discussion and suggestions than a complete recreation of his ideas. As I
> learn Context and Metapost, I hope I will figure out how to recreate his
> work. Sorry for the blog post :)
>
> Link to files:
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KpYbDlukvSCirKkFvJICOX3wABl_83bW?usp=sharing
>
> Sincerely,
> Stefan

Kind regards, Susanne G. Loeber

-------------- next part --------------

@ 2022-05-17  3:56 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-05-17  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Nedeljkovic via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Mon, 16 May 2022, Stefan Nedeljkovic via ntg-context wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Years ago I stumbled upon the work of Jean-Luc Doumont. He typesets all his
> documents using TeX, although his modified Version called Quantum.

His documents are really beautifully typeset. In the book, "Theorems, Maps, and Trees" all paragraphs are typeset as complete rectangles! See a sample here:

https://www.principiae.be/book/pdfs/TM&Th-samplepages.pdf

> The whole idea of his fascinating approach is that the page is quantized in 2
> dimensions and that all positioning, even graphical elements stick to that
> grid.

ConTeXt already implements grid snapping in the vertical dimension. For "grid snapping" in the horizontal direction, you need to ensure that all \hskip's are multiple of the grid size.

> I'm specifically interested in using this approach for report generation. To
> me data I/O is not an issue since I would use a Python script to generate the
> markup.

You can use layers to position things anywhere on a page. The keys `lines=..., columns=...` work almost like a grid.

See the details manual for examples of grid snapping and layers.

Aditya

* Achieving the style of Jean-Luc Doumont
@ 2022-05-16  9:48 Stefan Nedeljkovic via ntg-context
From: Stefan Nedeljkovic via ntg-context @ 2022-05-16  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)