* math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-05 20:22 type
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: type @ 2020-11-05 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

A quick question for the ConTeXt mailing list:

Other than typing it directly (or cutting and pasting it), how does one get
the character ∈ (in case this gets garbled in emailing, this is supposed to
be the mathematical symbol that looks more or less like an epsilon, and
which is the mathematical symbol for "is an element of" a set).

\showmathfontcharacters gives the following information about it:

U+02208: ∈ ∈ element of
width: 524262, height: 426798, depth: 33798, italic: 0
mathclass: relation, mathname: in

I'm not completely sure how to read this information, but if I read it
correctly, perhaps this character should be gotten with \in. Also, the Basic
Math page of the Wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/basic) states
that you should be able to type this character with "\in". But that doesn't
work (even inside a formula), since \in is used for references in ConTeXt.
And in fact the link on the Basic Math page for \in takes you to the
explanation of \in as used for ConTeXt references.

This is a very common character in mathematics, so I wanted to ask: what is
the recommended way to type this character? (I'm hoping to avoid having to
cut and paste the character into the document every time I want to use it.
And I don't have a utf enabled keyboard that would allow me to type this
symbol readily from the keyboard.)

Thanks in advance,

Sciurus

* Re: math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-05 20:35 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-11-05 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

type@projectivespace.com schrieb am 05.11.2020 um 21:22:
> A quick question for the ConTeXt mailing list:
>
> Other than typing it directly (or cutting and pasting it), how does one get
> the character ∈ (in case this gets garbled in emailing, this is supposed to
> be the mathematical symbol that looks more or less like an epsilon, and
> which is the mathematical symbol for "is an element of" a set).
>
> \showmathfontcharacters gives the following information about it:
>
> U+02208: ∈ ∈ element of
> width: 524262, height: 426798, depth: 33798, italic: 0
> mathclass: relation, mathname: in
>
> I'm not completely sure how to read this information, but if I read it
> correctly, perhaps this character should be gotten with \in. Also, the Basic
> Math page of the Wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/basic) states
> that you should be able to type this character with "\in". But that doesn't
> work (even inside a formula), since \in is used for references in ConTeXt.
> And in fact the link on the Basic Math page for \in takes you to the
> explanation of \in as used for ConTeXt references.
>
> This is a very common character in mathematics, so I wanted to ask: what is
> the recommended way to type this character? (I'm hoping to avoid having to
> cut and paste the character into the document every time I want to use it.
> And I don't have a utf enabled keyboard that would allow me to type this
> symbol readily from the keyboard.)

Do you have a example where \in fails?

\starttext

\m {A \in B}

\startformula
A \in B
\stopformula

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-05 20:44 ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2020-11-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 5 Nov 2020, at 21:22, type@projectivespace.com wrote:
>
> Other than typing it directly (or cutting and pasting it), how does one get
> the character ∈ (in case this gets garbled in emailing, this is supposed to
> be the mathematical symbol that looks more or less like an epsilon, and
> which is the mathematical symbol for "is an element of" a set).
> This is a very common character in mathematics, so I wanted to ask: what is
> the recommended way to type this character? (I'm hoping to avoid having to
> cut and paste the character into the document every time I want to use it.
> And I don't have a utf enabled keyboard that would allow me to type this
> symbol readily from the keyboard.)

There is no recommended way. One can have it in the input sources. The quickest way to both design and use I have found is text substitutions [1]. For the mathematical styles, TeX and Unicode do it differently, and ConTeXt follows the former unless one uses a command, see [2].

1. https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2020/099278.html
2. https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2020/099880.html

* Re: math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-05 23:13   ` type
From: type @ 2020-11-05 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

My sincere apologies. I tried to do my homework to avoid wasting everybody else's time with a silly question, but apparently I did not do so adequately. You're quite right -- it works with no problem. It was something else nearby that was causing my minimal example (apparently not minimal enough) to fail.

That being said, the link to "\in" on the Math Basics page does point to the wrong place (the "\in" command used for references). I'll go correct that as my penance for asking such a ridiculous question.

Thanks, and again my apologies,

Sciurus

@ 2020-11-05 23:24   ` type
From: type @ 2020-11-05 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Hans! The links you gave me provide me with another useful tool in my toolbox (which I had not been aware of before).

In this particular case, as Wolfgang pointed out, \in actually does work to get the desired symbol in math mode. But it is good to know how to use text substitutions too.

Thanks,

Sciurus

@ 2020-11-06  8:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-11-06  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/6/2020 12:24 AM, type@projectivespace.com wrote:

> In this particular case, as Wolfgang pointed out, \in actually does work to get the desired symbol in math mode. But it is good to know how to use text substitutions too.
WHen you are in doubt you can do this:

\meaning\in

it will show you that the commands is adapting itself to math mode.
There are a few such commands with 'clashing' names.

A variant on this is \NC which is the column separator but has a
different meaning depending on where it's used. That one gets set to
some meaning in environments.

Another overloaded one is \\ and it could be a space or newline or ...

Actually the last two are candidates for protectiopn against overload.

btw, users can run context with

--overloadmode=warning
--overloadmode=error

to see if their usage of commands or definitions bring conflicts.
Currently \in is not yet protected against overload but it will be.

Hans

* Re: math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-06 16:30       ` type
From: type @ 2020-11-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your extremely thorough and helpful response, Hans! I'm still fairly new to ConTeXt, but I'm learning, and I have been helped greatly by all the support that is generously provided on this email list.

With thanks,

Sciurus

> In this particular case, as Wolfgang pointed out, \in actually does work to get the desired symbol in math mode. But it is good to know how to use text substitutions too.
WHen you are in doubt you can do this:

\meaning\in

it will show you that the commands is adapting itself to math mode.
There are a few such commands with 'clashing' names.

A variant on this is \NC which is the column separator but has a
different meaning depending on where it's used. That one gets set to
some meaning in environments.

Another overloaded one is \\ and it could be a space or newline or ...

Actually the last two are candidates for protectiopn against overload.

btw, users can run context with

--overloadmode=warning
--overloadmode=error

to see if their usage of commands or definitions bring conflicts.
Currently \in is not yet protected against overload but it will be.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-06 17:40 ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-06 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)