* How can I design a book cover with front cover, back cover, and spine?
@ 2022-09-06  8:20 amano.kenji via ntg-context
From: amano.kenji via ntg-context @ 2022-09-06  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 黄复雄 via ntg-context; +Cc: amano.kenji

Let's assume that I'm writing an A4 book.

How can I design front cover, spine, and back cover of the book with ConTeXt?

I've read many PDF files, but none that I can remember actually had book spine on it. Some had back cover. Most had front cover.

Do printing houses make spine and back cover for authors so that back cover and spine don't need to be typeset by LaTeX or ConTeXt?

* Re: How can I design a book cover with front cover, back cover, and spine?
@ 2022-09-06  8:29 ` Marcus Vinicius Mesquita via ntg-context
From: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita via ntg-context @ 2022-09-06  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Amano

See: https://github.com/marcusviniciusmesquita/cob-cover

Regards

Marcus Vinicius

@ 2022-09-06  9:50 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-09-06  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amano.kenji via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 06.09.22 um 10:20 schrieb amano.kenji via ntg-context:
> Let's assume that I'm writing an A4 book.
>
> How can I design front cover, spine, and back cover of the book with ConTeXt?
>
> I've read many PDF files, but none that I can remember actually had book spine on it. Some had back cover. Most had front cover.
>
> Do printing houses make spine and back cover for authors so that back cover and spine don't need to be typeset by LaTeX or ConTeXt?

No, they don’t, you must provide an extra PDF in the right size.
Often, printshops provide a template.

If I don’t have a design that goes over the spine, I use a cover.tex
that imports front and back of my main PDF and just add the spine text.
Everything placed on a layer.
This way, my main PDF contains everything except the spine – makes sense
for proofreading or digital distribution.

Spine width depends mostly on page number and paper weight (thickness),
but also on the binding technology used – ask your printshop.

Hraban

* Re: How can I design a book cover with front cover, back cover, and spine?
@ 2022-09-06 11:15   ` amano.kenji via ntg-context
From: amano.kenji via ntg-context @ 2022-09-06 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it a good idea to design a book cover with front cover, back cover, and spine in ConTeXt? Or, is there a better software for designing book cover?

Do print shops just accept a book cover design as a PDF file which can be created by anything including ConTeXt?

Is it a good idea to set left margin and right margin differently for digitally distributed PDFs? Digital PDFs don't need different margins on the left and the right, but a digital PDF with different margins on the left and the right can be used in a physical book.