* [NTG-context] Metapost docs
@ 2024-01-08  0:50 Shiv Shankar Dayal
From: Shiv Shankar Dayal @ 2024-01-08  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see many libraries for Metapost in Context source. Where are these
documented? I see Metafun manual as well, but I do not find all the
included libraries described.

--
Respect,
Shiv Shankar Dayal

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Metapost docs
@ 2024-01-08  9:53 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-01-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 1/8/2024 1:50 AM, Shiv Shankar Dayal wrote:
> I see many libraries for Metapost in Context source. Where are these
> documented? I see Metafun manual as well, but I do not find all the
> included libraries described.

i'm not sure what you mean with library ... can you give an example?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-01-11  6:01   ` shivshankar.dayal
From: shivshankar.dayal @ 2024-01-11  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have files in my installation like 'mp-form.mkiv, mp-chem.mkiv' and so on.

@ 2024-01-11 15:35     ` Gavin via ntg-context
From: Gavin via ntg-context @ 2024-01-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Shiv,

I am working with MetaPost in ConTeXt. Here are the resources I use, roughly in the order I search when trying to solve a problem.

- MetaFun Manual (http://www.pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf) This is most comprehensive and helpful source.
- MetaPost Manual (http://mirrors.ctan.org/systems/doc/metapost/mpman.pdf) This is not specific to ConTeXt, but it is very useful.
- The MetaFun page on the ConTeXt wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaFun_-_MetaPost_in_ConTeXt) Other pages in the wiki’s graphics area are also helpful. (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Graphics) Searching the wiki for specific documentation on things like chemical structures is a little hit-or-miss, but often quite useful.
-The mailing list. I have the most luck with very specific questions that include a minimal working example. It should include the appropriate \starttext…\stoptext or \startMPpage…\stopMPpage, so that it can be typeset as-is.

If you want to do 3D, you may want to get Lua involved for calculations. I use

- Programming in LuaTeX page on the wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Programming_in_LuaTeX)
- Programming in Lua, 4th ed.
by Roberto Ierusalimschy (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8590379868)

If you provide an example of what you hope to accomplish with MetaPost, we might have more specific recommendations. Below are two graphs that I made in TikZ, which I hope to convert to MetaPost (actually LMTX). These are from my chapter on elliptical orbits.

I hope that helps you get started.

Gavin

[-- Attachment #2: chapter07-t-b-8c929184fdcc9da93d1ffe5262fc9842.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: chapter07-t-b-613fffa20a4b3581222e7b521bef3ace.pdf --]

@ 2024-01-11 15:54       ` Shiv Shankar Dayal
From: Shiv Shankar Dayal @ 2024-01-11 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Gavin,

I am aware of these resources. My question is about docs of those Metapost
libs which are in the distribution in Metapost directory.

@ 2024-01-11 16:23         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-01-11 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/11/2024 4:54 PM, Shiv Shankar Dayal wrote:
> Dear Gavin,
>
> I am aware of these resources. My question is about docs of those
> Metapost libs which are in the distribution in Metapost directory.
If something is not in the metafun, luametafun or another manual, then
you should not use it as it's likely some low level helper then.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl