* [NTG-context] Back in the 90s
@ 2024-04-13 12:12 Riviera Taylor
From: Riviera Taylor @ 2024-04-13 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I was reading about the history of ConTeXt in the Not So Short Introduction
To ConTeXt and I have a historical question. I noticed that the PDF
specification was published in 1993 yet ConTeXt was invented in 1991. The
book suggests that PDF output was handled by the PdfTeX engine in MKII in
2005. What sort of output did the software produce before PdfTeX was
introduced? Was this the same as the output produced by the software before
the publication of the PDF specification?

Kind regards,

Riviera

she, her, hers
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:River

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Back in the 90s
@ 2024-04-13 13:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-13 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/13/2024 2:12 PM, Riviera Taylor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was reading about the history of ConTeXt in the Not So Short
> Introduction To ConTeXt and I have a historical question. I noticed that
> the PDF specification was published in 1993 yet ConTeXt was invented in
> 1991. The book suggests that PDF output was handled by the PdfTeX engine
> in MKII in 2005. What sort of output did the software produce before
> PdfTeX was introduced? Was this the same as the output produced by the
> software before the publication of the PDF specification?
2005 is when we started with luatex which is a follow up on pdftex, and
pdftex is more a mid 90's thing; we immediately adopted pdftex (which
made some believe that context depended on pdftex which is not true)

anyway, we started with dvi which needs a postprocessor to go to some
printer format like specific hp or more general postscript but also can
drive viewers

we went from epson dot matrix printer -> early 300 dpi laser -> 600 dpi
laser printer -> high speed oce 512 dpi printer (metric) -> high speed
oce 600 dpi printer (+ crappy canon color laser printer) -> fast
page-wide hp color inkjet office printer

in mkii all is controlled by backend drivers, that use so called
specials to support color, hyperlinks, images so a workflow can have

- dvipsone : high quality postscript
- dviwindo : viewer with typeone support and hyperlinks
- acrobat  : postscript to pdf

and as all these external backends have their demands we could handle
all these things in an abstract way (that way one could also drive
printer properties like duplex or paper bins etc from a tex job)

that meant that when pdf came around we could almost immediately support
most of the interactive features in a dvi -> ps -> acrobat workflow

when pdftex came around the intermediate step of postscript could be
avoided which btw was also possible with dvipdfm(x) so we also supported
that

so to summarize, it went from

tex -> dvi -> printer format
tex -> dvi -> postscript -> more generic printer format
tex -> dvi -> pdf -> print from acrobat
tex -> pdf -> print from pdf viewer

in the meantime we are pdf (as from that one can produce other formats)

Hans

(btw, the fact that we could easily support pdf was also a reason why at
that time some adobe folk in nl used documents produced by context to
show somewhat extrems usage of interactive features, thanks to the fact
that tex can adapt to such new situations, also via the dvi route in
this case with pdfmarks; at that time pdf usage - and features - was a
bit more dualistic: ps replacement format versus storage and preview
format, but that's a different story; but it still shows in how the
standard evolved)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl